Different Xone setup's (92/1D vs 4D) - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dacuba View Post
    Edit: I just read that the Xone:92 has some midi-controlling options. Are these controls assigned to the AUX channels?
    The MIDI on 92 is only on filters freq knobs, the crossfader & can send a midi clock...
    But you can't really use it as a controller
    Take a look at p.29 for what you can do with :
    http://www.allen-heath.com/DL/xone92_ap5345_3.pdf

An example of use with Ableton : http://www.allen-heath.com/DL/Xone92_midi_ableton.pdf
    & another with a KP : http://www.allen-heath.com/DL/Xone92_midi_korg.pdf

Tech Mentor

Checkin' it out as we speak! Thanks man, you're the best

Tech Wizard

I own a Xone 3D. Also I have a Korg Zero 4 and a Xone 1D (bought them when my 3D was sent for repairs). I have worked also on Xone 92 mixers.

Right now I DJ using the Xone 3D.

While it is possible to use only one Xone 1D for controlling Traktor, it cannot even compare to having 2 Xone 1Ds or a Xone 4D. So, my advice is: if you plan only to play track after track, a 1D will be fine. If you want to use effects, loops etc, than you need 2*1D or a 4D. Another thing is the symmetry: very nice if you have a 4D or 2 1Ds.

In terms off sound quality, I can say this:
    - in a big club, the resident DJ played from CDJ 1000 MK3 & Pioneer DJM 800. A guest DJ came and played using the Audio 8 DJ, Xone 1D and MBP. The sound quality was very poor compared to CDJs. If you are in a home environment, you will not notice the difference. But if you play on big sound systems, almost everyone will notice the difference.
    - last week I had the opportunity to hear my Xone 3D near Pioneer CDJ 1000 MK3 & DJM 800, on the same soundsytem (Qube). I listened to several tracks played from both audio sources (CDs or Xone 3D). The difference is HUGE. The Xone 3D sounds much better than Pioneer.

The problem you may encounter with the Xone 4D is firmware problems. The 3Ds and 4Ds are known for having software problems, and you may need to send your mixer back for repairs. However, when you have it back with the latest firmware installed, it will work very well (mine did :P ).

The 4 band EQ is an advantage or disadvantage depending on your personal taste; you should try both alternatives to see which one you prefer.

So, to summarize:

Xone 4D:
    + excellent sound quality, everything in one unit, lots of controls
    - it may die when you try to upgrade the firmware

Xone 92 + Audio 8 DJ + Xone 1D:
    + if something brokes, you may replace only that part (but I do not consider that something important)
    - lots of cables, poor sound quality on big sound systems

Tech Mentor

Oh thank you for the input, but I wonder what's up with the soundquality? You're saying that the quality was "bad"? I think there are a couple of other causes wich could lead to a bad quality:

1) bad mp3 song -> you tested it with some songs so this isn't the case?
    2) bad connectivity (RCA / MIDI cables) perhaps?
    3) broken Audio8? I think this is very hard to imagine hehe

The 92 is wanted because of it's -almost- perfect sound- & buildquality, isn't it? I think the "multiply-parts-setup" is an advantage, but that's something personal I take it.

I really don't understand the sound issue though. An Audio8 has a great soundquality, perhaps even better than the build-in soundcard from the 3D?

I really don't understand the sound issue though
    +1,

Quote Originally Posted by istrateo View Post
    Xone 92 + Audio 8 DJ + Xone 1D:
    [...] poor sound quality
    what do you mean by "poor quality" ?

Tech Wizard

By poor sound quality I mean that the Audio 8 DJ sounds more dull than the CDJS & DJM 800; same tracks played. And the 3D sounds more clear than the DJM 800 (i think because the 3D has a quality analogic mixer).

I don't know how to say this in words, but when you have the opportunity check out for yourself on a big quality sound system (dynacord, qube etc). You will notice the difference. I am not the only one saying this. I repeat, when I listen at home on my Hi-Fi system, i do not notice any difference between these sources.

The cables were fine, I used professional XLR-XLR balanced cables for every setup. The Audio 8 DJ was new, there was no problem with it.

The Audio 8 DJ is better than the one from the 3D or the one from the 4D in terms of drivers and stability. But when it comes to how it sounds in big clubs, test it yourself and see the difference.

I think I would go for the 92/1D combo simply because it allows me to buy what I need in a more affordable and staggered way. I simply couldn't afford to buy a 4D outright

Tech Mentor

Oh okay Istrateo, thanks for the info. Next time I'll try to check it out myself (but that's quite hard)
    But still, I find it hard to believe

@ MiL0, the 92 + 1D + soundcard solution is actually more expensive then the 4D ^^

@ MiL0, the 92 + 1D + soundcard solution is actually more expensive then the 4D ^^
    yes but I said it's cheaper because you can stagger the purchases and not purchase them all at the same time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast