Putting together a Production Studio - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Audio kontrol 1 is best of both worlds. I
    You defo want a keyboard with keys... Ie oxygen 8 etc.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Student

Spending $$$ on studio monitors and a sub may not be very helpful when mixing in a dorm. Most dorm rooms are acoustic disasters, and the room you mix in is far more important than the monitors. This is especially true when you have a sub involved, since a sub that isn't properly placed and tuned in a neutral room can end up lying to you about the low end.

A quality, full-range set of headphones (AKG, Audio Technica, etc) will likely help you get the mix you want faster than monitors in a dorm. They'll certainly be a more neutral environment.

The key is to check your mix in a number of different places, including somewhere with a full-range setup with a sub. Headphones aren't pefect, and they shouldn't be the only reference. Since so many universities offer recording degrees these days, your school might have a good studio that you could listen in once in a while.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Throwaway View Post
    Spending $$$ on studio monitors and a sub may not be very helpful when mixing in a dorm. Most dorm rooms are acoustic disasters, and the room you mix in is far more important than the monitors. This is especially true when you have a sub involved, since a sub that isn't properly placed and tuned in a neutral room can end up lying to you about the low end.

A quality, full-range set of headphones (AKG, Audio Technica, etc) will likely help you get the mix you want faster than monitors in a dorm. They'll certainly be a more neutral environment.

The key is to check your mix in a number of different places, including somewhere with a full-range setup with a sub. Headphones aren't pefect, and they shouldn't be the only reference. Since so many universities offer recording degrees these days, your school might have a good studio that you could listen in once in a while.

Just my opinion.
    +1. Your housemates might also enjoy their time better if you use headphones

Tech Wizard

I figured I'd have to get good headphones but really hadnt looked into them too much yet. however having nice monitors is also a plus when i just wanna listen to music. so ill probably get them regardless. but at Georgetown our music department isnt that great, but im sure we have a real studio somewhere on campus.

Tech Mentor

Unless you just really like the feel and size of the LPK 25, get something else.

There is plenty out there. Personally I recommend a Novation ReMote 25, if size is really an issue. But Novation all the way on keys. Even the older ReMOTE stuff is great, you can find that stuff used on ebay and craigslist like crazy.

I also agree about the room vs the monitors. Granted it would be nice to have some good monitors, but dont break the bank if you aint got the room to really benefit from high end monitors.

Jus my 2 cents.
    I understand making music with headphones is sometimes a necessity but mixing on headphones is wack. Concentrating big sound to a tiny place, right upside your head, expecting that to translate to the way music physically feels on a system in a room and to your body seems unreasonable.

I'd also take a serious look at the Maschine. It's software/hardware combination seems pretty intelligent (it's the current thing I'm drooling over) and looks like it would be a great addition to a production environment as a pad controller.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Wizard

Yeah im definitely getting that novation keyboard. And the monitors arent that expensive, and i wont have to replace them for a longg time which is great. and I dont know a better price vs quality option as far as monitors go. what is a great sound option for headphones though (definitely consider best price v. quality)?

And i mean i really like the maschine too. but until it has vst capability i dont really wanna invest in it. especially if i can midi map my apc to control drum racks like nativeKontrol allows you to. i'd rather spend that money for the more sounds and plugins in an upgrade to Komplete 7 from elements.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Djtom420 View Post
    Im using Rockit 5s and they have a nice bass and mid sound. the his are controllable on the back. Why arent they deep enough? am i missing something>?
    Freq Response: 53Hz - 20kHz (+/- 2 db)

if wou want to produce edm it is just not enough, you'll want to go up to 30-40Hz at best 25Hz. Because thats where the fun for your Belly starts

and if you go for the rokits, go for the sub they offer
    http://www.krksys.com/product_krk10.php
    Xone 42, 12x0 mk2, Adam Audio Monitors and Sub

Quote Originally Posted by Drowzy View Post
    Yeah im definitely getting that novation keyboard. And the monitors arent that expensive, and i wont have to replace them for a longg time which is great. and I dont know a better price vs quality option as far as monitors go. what is a great sound option for headphones though (definitely consider best price v. quality)?

And i mean i really like the maschine too. but until it has vst capability i dont really wanna invest in it. especially if i can midi map my apc to control drum racks like nativeKontrol allows you to. i'd rather spend that money for the more sounds and plugins in an upgrade to Komplete 7 from elements.
    Sennheiser hd-25 mk2's

used by professional dj's and producers around the world because they are amazing. all that needs to be said really

shit somehow managed to double post......late night stupidity....bad times

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast