Dilemma over 1st set of equipment. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I think what you should get also depends on what your intentions for djing are. If you are mostly getting this for some bedroom djing type stuff, I would go for the S4. If you plan on gigging out, you may wish to go with something a tad more portable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tornesoul View Post
    But as a complete beginner, im not too sure what to look out for and/or how to demo the unit in order to test it out and whether i like it or not. I've only been dabbling with the free VDJ on my desktop, never proper equipment. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Lol, ahh the joys of being an utter n00b in this game.. So overwhelming at first ehh??

You seem to be exactly where I was at a few months ago.. Here is what I learned from just blowing money on controllers that looked cool and the hype:

1- Have a general idea of what you are looking to do(bedroom/house parties/production/mixing) is the first step.
    2- Buy what feels comfortable/is appealing to YOU.. Don't buy what NI tells you to, or what everyone here says is the best. In the end you are the one using it, not us, so if you dont like it or it feels unnatural it will most likely show in your music.
    3- The one that took me awhile to grasp was dont worry about upgrading later down the road.. Buy what feels comfortable now, and memorize that mf'er like the back of your hand. You are the artist, the controller/software is just the pencil/paper.
    MBP -- TP2 -- Live -- Logic -- OhmStudio
    Kronos -- Max49 -- Tiptop Happy Ending Kit -- Couple modules & growing..

Tech Mentor

im definately a bedroom dj only. at the very most i'll do something for a frens bday or what not. but ya, i did mention in the 1st post. but its a WOT. heh.

i'll def get sumthing im comfortable with but, i was wondering how to test it? just play around with the buttons and what not? mix a few tracks over with the sync button? as of yet i cant beatmatch fast enough. and to try it in a store makes me feel kind of embarrassed. haha.

m00n ur 3rd point i've seen b4. take ur equip to the fullest potential. sumthing along the lines of that. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tornesoul View Post
    im definately a bedroom dj only. at the very most i'll do something for a frens bday or what not. but ya, i did mention in the 1st post. but its a WOT. heh.

i'll def get sumthing im comfortable with but, i was wondering how to test it? just play around with the buttons and what not? mix a few tracks over with the sync button? as of yet i cant beatmatch fast enough. and to try it in a store makes me feel kind of embarrassed. haha.

m00n ur 3rd point i've seen b4. take ur equip to the fullest potential. sumthing along the lines of that. thanks

Here are some things that I looked for when demo'ing my S4..
    Placement of everything, i can't stand a cluttered controller..
    Jogwheels, I prefered the feeling of the S$ jogs in compared to the the VCI.
    BUILD QUALITY, after my first set of numark equiment quit working within a few weeks i wanteed to make sure i wasnt getting more junk..
    Faders/Knobs, personal preference really..

Main thing is just test it.. Get up there, load some songs up, slide the volume up and start jamming.. Most of the times they have it hooked up to headphones so they dont have to listen to ppl all day long, but even if it is hooked up dont worry. You are in there trying to make a decision on a very expensive and important first investment.. Take your time, don't let anyone rush you.
    MBP -- TP2 -- Live -- Logic -- OhmStudio
    Kronos -- Max49 -- Tiptop Happy Ending Kit -- Couple modules & growing..

^^ bring a flash drive with music you like (play with the demo before going so you may have some idea how the songs would mix together) and then go do it with the hardware. (i had a vestax spin at the time)

thats what i did. went to guitar center over and over again. before i finally got the nerve to drop teh cash on it. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Tech Mentor

alright guys. thanks for the help! much appreciated! so far i seem to rly like the s4. will think about it and demo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12