Bootleg remixes(for the older crowed, Whitelabels) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Djtom420 View Post
    So what is everyone's thoughts here on bootleg/whitelables remixes. In other words I take a track i wasn't commissioned to remix and basically do my own remix of the track. I obviously wouldn't sell it, but i would play it out. Ethical or unethical?

Gee what happened to white-labels now that everythings gone digital? are there whitelabels on beatport? don't think iv seen any, anyone know?
    Trying to clarify a bit

White label: this is just a synonym for promo (i.e., a promotional recording). the name obviously stems from the generic white label on the vinyl holding the audio.

Bootleg: a pressing (or, more generally, recording) not officially released by the artist. In the old days, bootlegs often just contained the same music as some rare and out-of-print EDM record.

I think you are referring to a specific type of bootleg, namely a bootleg containing edits/remixes of song. Actually, you might not even want to call it a bootleg. It's more akin to publishing stuff that extensively samples other people's work without prior authorization.

For example, these days, there's some chatter about an unauthorized edit/mashup of Paperclip People's "The Climax." Carl Craig seems to be upset about the issue and has reacted in a number of ways (on Twitter and Soundcloud).

My personal opinion is that unauthorized edits are fine as long as you're not using them to make a buck. If you're make money with your edits, I feel the original artist should receive part of the revenues.
    Last edited by itskindahot; 01-25-2011 at 08:39 AM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by itskindahot View Post
    Trying to clarify a bit

White label: this is just a synonym for promo (i.e., a promotional recording). the name obviously stems from the generic white label on the vinyl holding the audio.

Bootleg: a pressing (or, more generally, recording) not officially released by the artist. In the old days, bootlegs often just contained the same music as some rare and out-of-print EDM record.

I think you are referring to a specific type of bootleg, namely a bootleg containing edits/remixes of song. Actually, you might not even want to call it a bootleg. It's more akin to publishing stuff that extensively samples other people's work without prior authorization.

For example, these days, there's some chatter about an unauthorized edit/mashup of Paperclip People's "The Climax." Carl Craig seems to be upset about the issue and has reacted in a number of ways (on Twitter and Soundcloud).

My personal opinion is that unauthorized edits are fine as long as you're not using them to make a buck. If you're make money with your edits, I feel the original artist should receive part of the revenues.
    on occasion back in the day a whitelabel may be a promo or even as you said, some rare out of print track. However most of the white label I own on vinyl where mostly unauthorized remixes or re-edits of tracks not commisioned by the label.

I agree one should not be making money from bootlegs unless they are girl talk. I view it as a way to really cut my chops at remixing tracks.
    Acer 1803T - Abelton Live 8 - Audio 2 DJ - Korg Micro X - M-Audio USB - KRK Rockit Monitors - Dell Xeon Desktop - Sony MDR headphones - Fruity loops - Acid Pro - Sound Forge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12