Youtube: Richie Hawtin Jan 2nd 2009 Using Traktor 3 - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

No worries, I might just install Traktor Pro on my Macbook tonight and really give a 2nd shot.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

it seemed to work fine when i demo'd it at the club last Wednesday.

i'm gonna try again tomorrow. see if ive got any problems. its tough tho, cuz a single glitch and i might go crazy...since serato is rock solid.
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Serato is solid, just hate that the soundcard runs on USB 1.1, but I wouldn't mind getting the Serato box, being that when I play at clubs they ask me if I want to rent them my 1200s for the night, but I turn it down being that I dont have the damn box.
    Last edited by JesC; 01-06-2009 at 07:23 PM.

This video made me feel go for not buying TP yet (I would buy it but I am saving the $$ for the same controller he is using.... mmm delicious).

Tech Wizard

From my experience, TPro is stable enough now, it's more usability problems that are stopping me from using it live.

I suspect the reason he's using T3 instead of TPro is possibly the same ethos behind the latest article on the site - just because you have the latest equipment doesn't mean you have to use it. If you're more comfortable (and more skilled) at using the older version, why switch until you're totally confident you can rock the crowd with it.

This is certainly my reasoning behind not switching to Pro for gigs yet - I've finally got comfortable with how I have everything set up in T3, it does everything I want, and it's not let me down stability-wise for a long time. Yes, there's certain things that are tempting me to Pro, but there's also a big disruption to my current workflow to think about, along with a big list of niggles and bugs that are stopping me from jumping in and just going for it. I've been with Traktor for a long time (since v1), and NI seems to follow the same pattern with every release: a huge change from how they did things in the previous version, loads of bugs, and a bunch of people clamouring to slap the programmers (I'm usually part of the mob). Then a few releases down the line, and things start to click into place. Usability nightmares get workarounds, bugs are fixed, and slowly the software regains it's reputation for being the best tool for the job.

This time round, I'm not going to get so frustrated though. I have a setup that's perfect for my style and way of working. I have no need to move to Pro until it's good and ready, because there's very little that will actually benefit me - my biggest draws to it at the moment are the quantized cue jumping and enhanced MIDI control, but until other problems I can't currently work around are fixed, these are not big enough draws to pull me away from T3.2.

I played a party the other night were someone actually told me I should move to Pro "because it's got more effects" (what is it with minimal DJs and effects??). I told him I'd already got it, then proceeded to show him what 2 Kaoss Pads could do.

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    Serato is solid, just hate that the soundcard runs on USB 1.1, but I wouldn't mind getting the Serato box, being that when I play at clubs they ask me if I want to rent them my 1200s for the night, but I turn it down being that I dont have the damn box.
    honestly, it really doesn't make that much of a difference. I use that 6 nights a week and do some great things with it.

the only problem i have with serato is it seems to have just a bit too many limitations and ways to try to encourage you to buy hardware (like having to buy the mixer for audio effects!!)
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!

The thing that bugs me about serato is switching from one dj (Laptop to laptop) to another when your set is over. The Norm atleast from what I have seen is you either have to play a real vinyl or cd while you switch over or have your hype man do an intro for you. Which is very dumb being that (DONT SHOOT ME NOW) its not a true Digital DJ setup, being that you rely on someother means of music coming from another source be it cd or vinyl, while you plug in you laptop.

Bottom line, for Serato...you need to carry some vinyl/cd while you switch over.

it's not a truely digital setup at ALL. they dont market it as such.

it's a digital vinyl system.

and yes, moving from one serato dj to another serato dj doesn't work magically unless you have two serato boxes.

can two traktor Djs share one audio 8 without the music stopping?
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!

Yeah two dj's can share an audio 8 & each have there own decks, DECK A/B for dj 1 & DECK C/D for dj2 each one can have a midi controller or one dj can be playing on decks A/B on Traktor scratch & C/D can be on midi.

(Sorry didn't mean to be a jerk)

you're still using a single computer, so the other dj is f**ked. sorry.

didn't mean to be an b*tch.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast