Who actually utilizes Traktor's sample decks? - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    S4, X1s, ipad midifighter... I've got plenty of gear to utilize them I still havent found a way to really incorporate them into a set though. It seems like a lot of prep work to do anything useful.

I would like to be able to pull an auto loop from a playing deck and make it so it seamlessly switches from playing the loop on the track deck to playing the loop from the sample deck and stopping or mutting the track deck so I can then move to somewhere else in the track on the track deck and bring the track back in somewhere else. It's hard to do that manually on the s4 to get it so you're not doubling up on the loop when you turn the sample deck you dropped the loop into on.
    I don't find them intuitive either
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    I don't find them intuitive either
    Same here, it seems like so many clicks just to get a loop to play. I just don't get it how to use them correctly. For drops or for a turntablist I can see how it makes sense, I just can't find a good way to use it in a house set. 3 or 4 decks seems to lend it slf better to my style.
    :: Kontrol Z2 :: :: Technics 1200 :: :: Pioneer DJM 250 :: Kontrol X1 MkII :: :: Maschine :: :: Kontrol S4 ::

I guess I'm not alone then.

I find it much more useful with my s4 to have 4 track decks and leave the sample deck buttons open to be cues 5-8.

I have however been planning on pulling a bunch of quotes from movies to lay over top of a running track in which case I think I would still use 3 track decks and one sample deck.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbeatzz View Post
    Same here, it seems like so many clicks just to get a loop to play. I just don't get it how to use them correctly. For drops or for a turntablist I can see how it makes sense, I just can't find a good way to use it in a house set. 3 or 4 decks seems to lend it slf better to my style.
    Exactly. You have to load the loop to the sample deck, then it comes in playing but not activated, then if you want to activate it on top of the playing track it will come in and double the volume unless you can somehow seamlessly switch between the two.

I have felt almost ashamed that I can't find any use for them and when I try to use them it messes me up. I feel like I'm missing some great potential which really might not be there. I think I would rather just use 4 decks and if I have a loop I want to use I'll just keep it running in a deck and switch to another deck.

Running a lot of loops could be cool but it just gets too hectic and you can't see any waveforms really in the sample decks to give you some visual organization.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Exactly. You have to load the loop to the sample deck, then it comes in playing but not activated, then if you want to activate it on top of the playing track it will come in and double the volume unless you can somehow seamlessly switch between the two.
    Just start with the sample deck's fader at 0.
    Fire the sample live.
    Smash Sample Fader Up and Deck Fader Down.

Pro Tip:- Do it on beat/phrase and rock out like you did something for cool points.

Quote Originally Posted by Remote View Post
    Fire the sample live.

Pro Tip:- Do it on beat/phrase and rock out like you did something for cool points.
    Hmm with a little practice this might work and actually be fun to do in the mix. Gotta set up the s4 and give this a shot tomorrow. I feel like I should have thought of this.... Doing a filter sweep swap could work too and add a nice effect.

I still would love to see some vids of people really putting the sample decks to solid use in a house set to get ideas of how to get the most of them and not just for some controllerism routine.

I've always found it annoying that you cant change the length once youve got a looped sample going. I'd rather stick to using loops as you can change the length and even move the loop around the song.
    Mixes: www.mixcloud.com/djalexwild/
    Production: www.soundcloud.com/alexwild
    DJM500 : X1 : MBP 15" 2.53 GHz 4 GB RAM : HD25SP : MASCHINE

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Wild View Post
    I've always found it annoying that you cant change the length once youve got a looped sample going. I'd rather stick to using loops as you can change the length and even move the loop around the song.
    You can do that. I believe the loop in and loop out buttons act as 1/2 sample length or double sample length on the S4 controller.

In all honestly I wouldn't get to bent outta shape about using the sample banks. I feel like they're something that has to be planned ahead of time. It's a lot of different things to think about in the heat of the moment. Practice some cool mash ups or looping in different drum patterns during your practice time, find what works, then remember it for the club.

Yar? I'm gonna check that out!
    Mixes: www.mixcloud.com/djalexwild/
    Production: www.soundcloud.com/alexwild
    DJM500 : X1 : MBP 15" 2.53 GHz 4 GB RAM : HD25SP : MASCHINE

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Remote View Post
    Fire the sample live.

That's what I do or I kill the volume on the slot and bring it in like that.

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    You can do that. I believe the loop in and loop out buttons act as 1/2 sample length or double sample length on the S4 controller.
    I've never used that but if I'm not mistaken you can only reduce the loop if it's at the full size that it was brought into the sample deck at. After you've reduced the size it'll increase back to the original size of what you brought in, but will not add any more to the original loop size.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast