People that have done outdoor parties with no power, what have you used? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by djlotus View Post
    I would get a 10K watt generator at minimum. You will have to get a ground rod, copper wire (#6), and an "acorn" to properly ground it. Also will most likely need to make up a distribution box.
    wicked overkill. I'm thinking thats like 3x the size he would ever need, I mean I dont know what his final load calculation will be, but thats like over 80 amps of power at 120v. Just as a reference for you, there are houses that have main services only rated at 60a. To the OP; most portable generators already have outlets set up for you, and are made so no supplemental grounding is needed, plug and go.

Tech Guru

Outdoor events I've played at have used one of those Honda inverter generators. really portable and quiet for a small gathering of like minded individuals.

You will need a DB Board (if the Genni does not come with one) and power cabled.

LOADS....

Spares!.....you will always needs spares.

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Guru

I have been an electrician for 15 years, and done power for numerous outdoor venues. Better a little over kill than not have enough. No house built in the last 60 years has less than a 150 AMP main service. You need to be able to separate the monitors, forward sound, and lighting on separate circuits. You also need to be able to fault to the earth in case of problems, which when doing an outdoor gig, are too numerous to prepare for. Also need to provide GFCI circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    wicked overkill. I'm thinking thats like 3x the size he would ever need, I mean I dont know what his final load calculation will be, but thats like over 80 amps of power at 120v. Just as a reference for you, there are houses that have main services only rated at 60a. To the OP; most portable generators already have outlets set up for you, and are made so no supplemental grounding is needed, plug and go.

djproben - "But who can resist an album called "the Gay 90s"! I assumed it was going to be a lot of Moby and Keoki...."

Tech Guru

Not to get too off topic, but A) There are houses still being built w/ 100A services to this day, and in the last 60 years there were houses still being built w/ 60A services (maybe your area has different state ammendments or something). B) In this situation the generator does not need to be bonded to the ground. If the instructions in the manual say to do so, then you will have to, but I have yet to run into one that has said so. As long as the gas tank is bonded to the frame (yet to see one that isnt) and everything is cord and plug you do not need to. C) To me, 80 amps wouldnt be just a "little" over kill, but maybe having an extra 50-60 amps then neccesary is only a little over kill to you, I guess it just a matter of perception. In the end, its better to have extra, like you said.

To the OP; while GFCI protection is required by code, some portables will have have it built in, or you could just get cords or plug strips with built in GFCI protection. I personally wouldnt want GFCI in a live sound and lighting set up just because of the threat of nuisance tripping, but thats just me.

can't believe these only consume 1 WATT EACH !!!

you can string 30 of them for the load of a one 30 watt light bulb !

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=243-002

>

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

@loverocket/mods - has someone hijacked your account ? .. 3 posts in a row with parts-express links = fishy...

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    @loverocket/mods - has someone hijacked your account ? .. 3 posts in a row with parts-express links = fishy...
    no. just got the new sneak peek sales flyer. sharing the savings with my DJTT friends.

>

So I'd say it would be fairly loud. Not like earth shattering, but pretty dang loud.

Thanks for the info about the generators. I'll have to look into some that can produce that type of power.

I mean I'm looking at probably renting like CDJ 10002/2000s djm 800

PA speaker (no idea what size yet)
    Amp, sub.

Lighting truss, and lights to go on it.

I can't let the cat out of the bag on the event I am throwing yet cause its confidential and I don't think my co-founder friend would want me to spill the beans. But we are looking at some locations that will either end up at outdoor locations, some will be power provided, some won't possibly. It depends on how we plan it. I need to create a budget for either buying or renting the equipment. I'm sure if I contacted these rental places they probably have a package deal that I could rent that would probably be fail safe, I'm assuming at least.

Regarding the generator, that was the only snag cause I'm not sure the places I could rent the DJ, sound and lighting equipment would also have generators available. I thought I may have to rent something like that from a hardware place or something.

Tech Guru

Manchild, you are confusing watts with amps. I suggested a 10K generator referring to 10,000 watts, as that's how generators are sized. You could get all you need off of the 30 amp circuit provided, but would want to use a distribution box. From the list of what the OP had to work with and provide power for, I could never in a million years recommend a roll-behind generator.

As for the GFCI circuit, I was recommending them for everything but the circuits I listed. Circuits for general consumption such as portable lights, chargers, and other such, non-essential gear.

As far as grounding goes, I guess it's too important, unless it's your gear being used. then you want to protect it.

djproben - "But who can resist an album called "the Gay 90s"! I assumed it was going to be a lot of Moby and Keoki...."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast