Mixing in headphones - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tech Convert

I use two pairs of headphones - one for the master and one for the cue. I often have both sets on my head at the same time, switching them around as needed. Probably looks quite mental but it means I can mix at 3am without disturbing anyone

Default I have always mixed this way....

Ever since I started DJing I have always used the headphones only to monitor my mix. Most of my DJ mates thought I was mental for doing so, but for me it's has just always felt right.

Much tighter mixes, and it save relying on some clubs crappy monitors!

A lot of people have said using headphones or in-ear monitors helps them a lot. I know Wolfgang Gartner swears by his haha.

Personally, I can't stand it. I cue in the headphones like anyone else, but I just feel so disconnected from the audience, and from the music coming out of the speakers when I'm transitioning using ear monitors. I feel like I'm in a different world, and I don't like it.

But that's just me, it's all about personal preference, so if that works for you, go for it! And rock it out !

Unless we have a party, i do 90% of my mixes and radio shows all in the headphones.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by pault107 View Post
    I use two pairs of headphones - one for the master and one for the cue. I often have both sets on my head at the same time, switching them around as needed. Probably looks quite mental but it means I can mix at 3am without disturbing anyone
    ever hear of a cue button and mix knob?
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Guru

The thing about headphone mixing is that at a club you're not mixing for yourself. You're mixing for the audience, so it's a good idea to listen to the club speakers at least every now and then.

Tech Guru

The bad thing about club speakers is that they're guaranteed to be at a harmful SPL, especially at busy times.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by DISaS73R View Post
    The thing about headphone mixing is that at a club you're not mixing for yourself. You're mixing for the audience, so it's a good idea to listen to the club speakers at least every now and then.
    Yep, I just can't get my head around mixing in headphones or even with monitor speakers in a club. One of the venues I play at has a DJ booth which is separate from the dance area, with windows that open out and lift off the hinges; sometimes, the staff forget to unlock them and I'm like... "please could you go get the key for the window padlock?"

First time I asked they looked at me like I was mad, so I had to explain to them there is NO way you can mix properly without actually being able to hear what the audience is hearing. Not at the same volume, admittedly, because the booth is enclosed on 3 sides, but at least the balance between EQ bands.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Tech Guru

Sounds like monitor speakers would be the perfect solution then.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Sounds like monitor speakers would be the perfect solution then.
    There IS a monitor speaker, but that's the problem isn't it. It sounds COMPLETELY different than the rest of the venue. A 12" Behringer PA speaker has virtually no bottom end, so a balanced mix IN the booth is completely out of whack out on the floor.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast