Putting together a Production Studio - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Conall View Post
    Sennheiser hd-25 mk2's

used by professional dj's and producers around the world because they are amazing. all that needs to be said really
    they sure are, but i personally cant wear them for hours, sitting to tight. although if you are more careful with your gear than the average dj you wont have any problems with other headphones that offer better sound quality and are more comfortable.
    Xone 42, 12x0 mk2, Adam Audio Monitors and Sub

Tech Wizard

what other headphones do you think would work for me? esp, kinda cheaper. i AM in college hahah

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Drowzy View Post
    what other headphones do you think would work for me? esp, kinda cheaper. i AM in college hahah
    Whats ur price range?

I use sony mdr-v700s. They are my favs been using them since the 90s. No not the same pair this is the third pair im on now. great quailty, sound is awsome, and they are durable if ur not ruff on them. they ran me about 120,,,
    Acer 1803T - Abelton Live 8 - Audio 2 DJ - Korg Micro X - M-Audio USB - KRK Rockit Monitors - Dell Xeon Desktop - Sony MDR headphones - Fruity loops - Acid Pro - Sound Forge

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Throwaway View Post
    The key is to check your mix in a number of different places, including somewhere with a full-range setup with a sub. Headphones aren't pefect, and they shouldn't be the only reference. Since so many universities offer recording degrees these days, your school might have a good studio that you could listen in once in a while.

Just my opinion.
    As Dr. Dre says, always listen to ur tracks in the car. Everyone else will listen in there car and not on a big sound system or perfectly tuned monitors.
    Acer 1803T - Abelton Live 8 - Audio 2 DJ - Korg Micro X - M-Audio USB - KRK Rockit Monitors - Dell Xeon Desktop - Sony MDR headphones - Fruity loops - Acid Pro - Sound Forge

• get a better audio interface than your dj sound card

• get better monitors than the KRK Rockits - KRKs are not so great on the lower end models.

• get a good pair of headphones since you won't always be able to use your monitors in your situation...

• get a midi controller/keyboard, any 25 key wil do - the one you listed is pretty much a bit of an over kill. get something a little more simple, and if you want the drum pads get a korg padkontrol.

For great sounding, reasonably priced headphones I recommend the Sony MDR-7506. They are used professionally by film and radio producers everywhere. Probably not what you'd find a pro audio engineer using, and it's certainly not enough to master your track, but if you're looking for something reasonably good for under $100 it's a safe bet.

For cheap midi keyboard, the M-Audio Oxygen 25 is the new version of the Oxygen 8. It's black, has eight knobs, looks nice, and is just over $100 new.

M-Audio Fast Track for an audio interface will do you well. Also in the $100 ballpark.

I would save up and spend more money on your monitors. Make sure you get something that has a wider frequency response than the Rokit 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Djtom420 View Post
    As Dr. Dre says, always listen to ur tracks in the car. Everyone else will listen in there car and not on a big sound system or perfectly tuned monitors.
    I would go for more than 25 keys but get a simple one without any other control. the other controllers can fill that role but having a good key range is a hidden blessing.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Tech Wizard

-Well my thing is, i dont want to have to replace things for a long while. And I feel like if I go with the oxygen keyboard over the Akai or Novation. I'm gonna end up needing/wanting more options and stuff down the line. where as if i go with the ones that are a little bit more expensive I wont run into that problem nearly as quickly.

-Drumpads arent my issue either because i'm probably gonna get nativeKontrol for my APC 40 and then it can be used as a drum rack. and that was really the only reason i liked the Akai Keyboard over the Novation

-I'm definitely going for the m-audio soundcard for all the reasons you guys have listed.

-as far as headphones go anything between 100-175 is pretty much my price range. So the Sony's that were suggested fit in there perfectly

-and I mean what other monitors should I look at and save up for?

ive heard great things coming out of the yamaha HS line. i sampled the hs50s (i think, dont think it was the 80s as the price was too low) vs the rokit 5s, 6s, and 8s...

yamahas blew them away.

i had heard "rokit this, rokit that" over and over, but the mid / hi quality of the yamahas was amazing. great mixing speakers i believe (although im still a noob)
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

Quote Originally Posted by Drowzy View Post
    -Well my thing is, i dont want to have to replace things for a long while. And I feel like if I go with the oxygen keyboard over the Akai or Novation. I'm gonna end up needing/wanting more options and stuff down the line. where as if i go with the ones that are a little bit more expensive I wont run into that problem nearly as quickly.

-and I mean what other monitors should I look at and save up for?
    You won't be using all the knobs etc. with the keyboard... You will just be drawing in most of your automations by hand. Just get something simple, I have a 49 key Emu that I have had for almost 10 years. Its nothing great, but does what it needs to do, and that is transmit midi notes. There are of course a few times where i have used the knobs, but not enough to qualify for needing a whole bunch of crap on my keyboard, just draw it in!

As for monitors, save up for some decent Mackies, Adams, Yamahas, or something in the top of the line KRK series. The ones you are looking at are sh!t for producing!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123