MacBook Air for Digital Djing and Production? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Been using an Air 13" for almost a year now and it's been great to me. I typically run Traktor and Maschine simultaneously w/o a hitch. I also use an extrnal mixer so I am able hide some of Traktor's mixer elements. I have Ableton installed and have ran it while routing Traktor's audio signal with no real performance issues either.

Can't vouch for the production capabilities though--that would depend on how complex your projects are.

My initial concern over screen size diminished after a few sessions. Plus, the only time im looking at the screen now-a-days is to find a track or double-check loop sizes...or read the damned sample slots I can never seem to memorize by color.
    Either way I'd recommend wtv bang for buck setup that fits your wallet. I ultimately had to upgrade the SSD in the Air and wager that you can find a cheaper solution from Apple's current line up of laptops.

Also guys you can map to keyboard to flick open Browser menu, thats what I do, I dj with Acer Aspire V5, great laptop for traktor, but havent tryed it yet fully on Ableton, I do believe it will perform OK, also that touchscreen i find useful for traktor

*EDIT* there are many acer aspire v5, not gonna bother with exact product code, but specs are i3 processor, 6gb ram, 700gb hd, and HD display along with decent HD video card

Tech Convert

a macbook air will not have enough processing power for production, unless you're doing very basic stuff with only a few tracks and little automation. It is possible, but there will be tons of jitter on playback

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by noah1i8 View Post
    a macbook air will not have enough processing power for production, unless you're doing very basic stuff with only a few tracks and little automation. It is possible, but there will be tons of jitter on playback
    Sorry mate thats complete bullshit.

The Air is a more than capable machine since they introduced the Core Series processors back in the 2011 model - agreed the pre-2011 underpowered C2D models were almost useless. However the new Air is 100% as speedy as the 13' Pro for 95% of tasks (and even moreso at others due to the SSD and better graphics card).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234