Show your Setup! - Page 440
Page 440 of 469 FirstFirst ... 340390430436437438439440441442443444450 ... LastLast
Results 4,391 to 4,400 of 4681

Wouldn't put your laptop on the speakers like that, the magnets in the speakers can sometimes wipe your hard drive. I like your setup though, hoe do u find the jogs ?

I'm pretty sure that's a myth that came from the fact that a magnet will make an old school CRT monitor fuck up and possibly break.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Well I have done it before so, it slows the disc Down and cans
    Corrupt files, atleast that's what my uncle told me. I'm sure he knows his shot seeing as though he a computer engineer and software disigner.

Tech Guru

A strong enough magnet can mess with a hard drive if it gets close enough while it's reading or writing. Unless it's a SSD then you would have no problems. What happens is the magnet pushes/pulls on the read/write head and smashes it into the actual disk corrupting and/or destroying the drive. Just putting a fridge magnet on your laptop prolly isn't gonna mess it up but get one that's strong enough and close enough and yes it will.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

Just because he's a computer engineer doesn't mean it's true. His knowledge is still just based upon rumour. I am curious. I would like to see a real scientific test based around this situation. Magnets in speakers ain't all that powerful and they are some distance away from the exterior of the case. The force certainly is weaker than a fridge magnet (try getting a paperclip to stick to the outside of speakers without magnetic shielding.)

yeah true but would you take the risk of all of your music getting wiped off your hdd ?

Dude I'd happily stick my laptop on on a speaker due to the fact I don't believe it will do any damage. My laptop's sat on more powerful magnets than speakers and it's reading 0% damaged. Either way I don't, due to the fact I think it's a silly place to put it.

And while I believe it wouldn't just wipe it even if any damage was done, I wouldn't mind if it was done. I can reinstall and reconfigure happily in an hour or two without fucking with DRM and other shit that makes the job miserable.

+ all my music is backed up. Back up your music today dude!

Tech Guru

A magnet can and will wipe out a hard drive. It's actually one of the methods they tell you to use when you're throwing away a hardrive.

Magnets can fuck up HD's, the question is if it's strong enough. I have had a HD fuck up on me due to a subwoofer, so I doubt it's a myth.
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

I'm not saying that magnets can destroy hard drives, I'm saying that those in your average little speakers are unlikely to do anything and that most studio monitors and such are magnetically shielded.