Any DJTT S4's already arrive? - Page 6
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Tech Guru

Calibrating.

Big deal. An NS7 also requires calibrating and most of the turntable DJ's that have hoped on one, love their NS7's. I've never heard of anyone that complains about calibrating an NS7 and it's still refered to as a plug and play system.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Let's see I can spend 30 seconds calibrating my jogs or three weeks coming up with a mapping that's still not as good as what the S4 has out of the box. Sounds plug and play to me.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Mine shipped out from djtt Monday and is sitting in:

HODGKINS, IL, US 11/05/2010 5:30 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN

Which is just 290 miles from me according to Google. However, my new arrival date is Tuesday the 9th. So close and yet so far... Go figure.
    novation twitch | iMac 27
    blog | twitter

Tech Convert

Well i have got My DJTT supplied S4... The outer box took a bit of a beating but the contents are fine.. watched some of the Ean Golden tutorial DVD (which is really well presented and very informative) while i waited for the 1.01 update to download.

Had to give the left jog wheel a twist and click but otherwise all ok.....now off for a bit of a tear up.

I never suggested calibrating would take an hour-i was just saying that, in my case at least, concern re: the calibrating is likely borne out of/increased by anxiety of the wait. Still very excited for it to arrive (in other words, if it were to arrive 2day I wouldn't care about calibrating at all) Now we're way OT. Sorry for contrib to that.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I understand your nervous excitement... worth it mate, all worth it in the end ;-)

Tech Wizard

When are Tech tools likely to get more?

Not like any shops in England have any

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Dude mixers and CD players are hardware only. You plug them in and they work.

KS4 is software and hardware that both have to work together in harmony. Its just not the same.

You cannot expect the Kontroller to be plug n play when it has to be calibrated. You even have to calibrate the EQ knobs and faders. This just tell you that its no ordinary controller.

I bet people have a lot more issues with other devices as they are not purpose built.

It takes 10 minutes not an hour.

I don't mean to ruffle any feathers here Karlos, but you've been extremely defensive to this concern in almost all of your responses here.

I think whether or not you think re-calibrating is a big deal or not is your opinion alone, and certainly not fact. The true fact here is that it is an issue issue for some. I also think it would be impossible to judge at this point how many of the S4 users will think is a "big deal" and how many will think its not. Maybe most people won't care, I don't know, but I had a chat with about 5 different local DJs in Toronto last night @ a Ricardo Villalobos show about this exact issue with the S4, and they all had the same reaction: WTF.

That's coming from DJ's who do the same thing as me and have the same needs with their S4. We show up to the club, play beats, and go home. In between all of that, we like to party and enjoy ourselves, and not worry about re-calibrating a piece of gear. If I show up to a show, and have literately no time between getting then and switching over, I don't need to be standing there staring at my laptop for 30 seconds. It's not a good look.

And here's where I really don't mean to ruffle any feathers, but I just feel the need to say. From what I gather, you are somewhat of an authority or expert in Traktor and Native Instruments products. You may even work for NI. When customers, either current loyal ones, or ones like myself who haven't touched Traktor yet and are waiting for their S4 for their first go, have complaints and concerns, it's less than comforting to answer our concerns with "Dude, live with it, it's no big deal (for me at least)".

And just so we're clear, none of the videos and information released about the S4 that created all the hype and caused many of us including myself to pre-order a unit said THE NEW TRAKTOR S4. It's as simple as Plug, RECALIBRATE, and Play. I don't think that was what I signed up for when I happily gave my down payment.

-PL>Y

PRESSPL>Y - This is pretty ignorant. Not alot of hardware comes TRULY ready out of the box. On macs you have to install the OS to get them working, no big deal. Many midi controllers you have to install mappings, software for mapping, no big deal. When the S4 only requires as you put it "staring at my laptop for 30 seconds", Once. I would say that its pretty much plug and play. Even turntables need calibrating once.

Just deal with it, its not hard, it doesnt take alot of time - and despite of this thing, the advantage of a S4 MORE THAN GREATLY make up for things.

Don't just bitch about this LITTLE thing when the controller could've had a pricepoint as steep as some A&H products and STILL be worth it. If you dont like it, send it back to the developers and go back to a full analog setup - then you dont need any calibration, except if you go back to TTs - Ohh shit.

@Play

Chill out dude, mine came 100% working.

And to be honest it's:
    Install software
    Reboot
    Download update
    Install update
    Reboot
    Start software
    Plug
    Recalibrate
    Play

I didn't even have to recalibrate, but in the entire process of getting the thing ready you hardly even notice it. I did it anyway, just to be sure.

Also, as mentioned before, any first gen product has bugs. Look at Microsoft and Apple products, and they have a hell of a lot more beta testers than NI.
    MBP 13" - Kontrol S4 - nanoKontrol - DHJ-500 - Hercules DJ Console MK1
    Find me on: Facebook, Soundcloud
    Quote Originally Posted by space monkey View Post
    Hi Karlos! I have a lawnmower, do you like grapes?

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast