Advice for beginner - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Welcome to the forums!
    In my opinion the s4 is the way to go.
    You already have a macbook pro add an s4 to that and you have a serious setup!

Adverts have had a couple of s4's up for sale for around 750 (i think).

Thomann have the s4 on sale for 866 euro

http://www.thomann.de/ie/native_inst...kontrol_s4.htm

That includes shipping and then add headphones like these

http://www.thomann.de/ie/pioneer_hdj_500w.htm(i have these btw and love them)

Plug the s4 into a standard pair of speakers ( surround sound ect. and your ready to go!)

Hope ive helped and good look!
    Traktor pro2.0.1. kontrol x1 lpd8 q25 ESIU46 Ableton
    Fl studio Rockit 5's Korg Kaossilator

Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/djtsccbs

Welcome!

And yes, a good point was made of buying a cheaper controller then moving to the more high end products if you like it. There's definitely stories of people out there who buy all the gear then it turns out the industry isn't really what they expected.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
    Welcome!

And yes, a good point was made of buying a cheaper controller then moving to the more high end products if you like it. There's definitely stories of people out there who buy all the gear then it turns out the industry isn't really what they expected.
    good point. I might start with something cheaper, cheers mate

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by cormacp6 View Post
    Welcome to the forums!
    In my opinion the s4 is the way to go.
    You already have a macbook pro add an s4 to that and you have a serious setup!

Adverts have had a couple of s4's up for sale for around 750 (i think).

Thomann have the s4 on sale for 866 euro

http://www.thomann.de/ie/native_inst...kontrol_s4.htm

That includes shipping and then add headphones like these

http://www.thomann.de/ie/pioneer_hdj_500w.htm(i have these btw and love them)

Plug the s4 into a standard pair of speakers ( surround sound ect. and your ready to go!)

Hope ive helped and good look!
    My MBP is only about 6 weeks old so I'm sorted with that! I have Monster Beat headphones, the studios, would they be any use or would I have to get myself ones from pioneer?

I haven't seen one on adverts yet but I must keep an eye out!

Regarding speakers actually, I don't have any in my house, so would I have to buy monitors or what way would I go about that? It'll just be for my room!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBlaggard View Post
    whats great about the S4 is, its great for all levels of DJ,

i started on using CD players before pioneer kicked the CD player market up the ass with there CDJs and ive used almost every type of player out there,
    a couple of years ago a friend interduced me the VIRTUAL DJ (software only) and he was showing me this and that and i was like WTF thats gay, your using a poxy laptop touch pad to dj, thats the gayest shit in the world. but then a few months later he got his hands on a VCI 100 and then called me up to have a go, i was like holy shit, this f~~king rocks. so i went out and got one myself and i loved it, then i moved onto the S4

and i will say this one word sums up an S4... "FUN"
    Ive never had so much fun mixing or even just messing about banging out the beats learning all the cool stuff you can do on the S4 that you cant do on a CD player.

you already have what most would consider the most important thing in a set up (a macbook pro) id recommend the S4 over CDJs (or what ever brand) anyday
    (not including some time coded setups-because thats quite frankly a different ball game that i aint familiar with)

S4 to me at least is a bargain considering your getting top notch software and the free upgrade to traker 2 when thats out in April, a built in soundcard and the hardware is top notch (appart from the gain knobs-because they do suck)

one latest CDJ is way more expensive than an S4...

but this is just my humble opinion.

also. on a side note, if your just unsure about midi controllers in general, why not consider buying a fairly cheap numark or hercules or reloop controller just to wet your feet before jumping in the deep end ?
    ya might find a nice bargain somewhere.

U should be a sales man, I think u sold me the S4 on your little speech lol

Is the S4 that much fun yeah?

Do you gig with it? or just for bedroom use?

What kinda pa system u got going with it?

Sadly I'm in the box room so yeah space is limited! I wouldn't mind the flight case though, it looks pretty neat and strong! But I think your Hercules stand is more practical for my room!

get a cheap controller and simply down load the free demo of traktor
    at http://www.native-instruments.com/#/...FUEa4QodIEa8mA
    in fact why not just try the demo anyways first, but it wont make sense until you have a hardware controller. because without a controoler using software only is just gay if ya ask me
    Please LIKE MY PAGE FACEBOOK Page and I'll Return The Favor

)))---|> http://facebook.com/DjBullyBolger <|---(((

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Rasti Datajay View Post
    I dont like cds AT ALL.. Because of this, my opinion is not imparcial, but biased...
    But remember:
    With a controller you will be working in the digital domain.
    With a CDJ you will be working in the analogic domain.

Controllers and Laptops are portable, you dont have to carry hundreds of cds with you, you CAN mix two tracks of the same album (With CDjs you cant)
    Additionally with the S4/Tracktor Pro you will have 8 sample decks.
    You can run Ableton Live in the background to do smart mixing or to "Play" in certain tracks (Ie.: with an extra Apc20 or 40 controller) and a long etc.

But if you are way more inclined by a more "classic" Djing and want a more "proffesional" looking controller you may want to take a look to the
    PIONEER DDJ-T1 Traktor Edition, wich is very classic looking and cost 1045€

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wts4h38BSqg

WOW! That Pioneer controller looks sweet! your right it does have that more "professional" look! I wonder how it compares to the S4?! if the S4 is costing me the guts of 900euro would it be worth the extra bit for the pioneer?

Any reviews on it?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBlaggard View Post
    get a cheap controller and simply down load the free demo of traktor
    at http://www.native-instruments.com/#/...FUEa4QodIEa8mA
    in fact why not just try the demo anyways first, but it wont make sense until you have a hardware controller. because without a controoler using software only is just gay if ya ask me

I downloaded the software 2 weeks ago and have been messing around with every day! the only prob is theres a time limit of 30mins lol

Quote Originally Posted by dylanmc111 View Post
    WOW! That Pioneer controller looks sweet! your right it does have that more "professional" look! I wonder how it compares to the S4?! if the S4 is costing me the guts of 900euro would it be worth the extra bit for the pioneer?

Any reviews on it?
    I didnt dig so much on the Pioneer or the S4 because their price tag is beyond my scope .
    My feeling about is that the S4 is designed to be the best controller to Traktor users and the Pioneer is trying to smooth the transition to digital to current Pioneer CDJs owners.
    I think its all about your style on Djing, and if the "professional" look is an issue to you or not.

Controller: Reloop Digital Jockey Master Edition
    Laptop: Acer Travelmate 4101 Wlmi (WinXP)
    Dj Software: Traktor Pro

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Rasti Datajay View Post
    I didnt dig so much on the Pioneer or the S4 because their price tag is beyond my scope .
    My feeling about is that the S4 is designed to be the best controller to Traktor users and the Pioneer is trying to smooth the transition to digital to current Pioneer CDJs owners.
    I think its all about your style on Djing, and if the "professional" look is an issue to you or not.
    1k is crazy money alright for a controller!

I must google reviews!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast