running maschine with traktor, what's the point when you your can use an F1?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default running maschine with traktor, what's the point when you your can use an F1?

title says it all I think.

Two uses as far as I can tell:

1) To fire off samples live
    2) As an on-the-fly step sequencer

It is definitely nicer doing live finger drumming with the machine pads but how many people really incorporate live finger drumming (not cue point juggling) into their sets? Its commendable if you can I guess.... I don't just don't so don't wanna lug the maschine around just for that. Also I can't help but think its a bit of overkill just for one shots or cue points, my opinion/personal pref is that a midi fighter is more portable and its arcade buttons better suited for that purpose.

The on the fly step sequencer is kind of cool but after playing around with it a bit I found myself repeating the same patterns. Therefore I really think you could just figure out what type of fills you like and have them looped up already as a loop on a remix deck i.e. snare rolls etc

For firing off quantized loops I gotta say I prefer the F1, although I haven't played around a lot with trying to do that on the maschine, maybe someone can enlighten me... For sure I can see that Ableton is ultimately great for this buuuuuut my (highly specced) Windows 7 PC sucks for keeping midi clocks synced, and having tried every permutation of the following they all tend to under up drifting like a mo fo:
    Traktor / Maschine Standalone / Maschine VST / Ableton / MidiPal as a hardware master clock source via DIN cable

My conclusions
    • screwing around trying to sync midi clock just to recreate the quantized loop playback functionality of an F1 with Maschine is pants, F1 is better suited for the purpose
    • I prefer to use arcade buttons or the F1 to trigger one shots/cue points
    • I love Maschine for production

Thoughts?

If you look at most of the big techno djs using traktor most of them are using maschine for example hawtin and liebing they are looping 3 or 4 tracks in traktor at once and making something new then they are using the maschine to bring in percussion patterns that they are creating on the fly (using the maschine step sequencer) . i dj the same way (i'm nowhere near the level of hawtin he's incredible) it allows me to be a lot more creative rather than mixing last 1:00 of track A into the intro of track B.

Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye

He seems mainly to be using it to add one bar of snares or kicks on top.

My thought was that if you find yourself doing the same type of one bar fills over and again then just loop em up and stick in a remix deck. Then that saves the hassle of bringing along the Maschine to the booth, wiring it up, routing it somehow and syncing the midi clock.

Also how many different percussive elements does one need access too for one dj set, 5 kicks, 7 snares?, the maschine library is great but just like preparing a virtual 'crate' of music one would surely like to have at least a guideline for what kick snare etc to use on top. Assuming having already made such a decision how much more beneficial is it to use Maschine or just have patterns already. You think Ritchie is auditioning different types of kicks in his headphones before deciding which one to use repeated twice in a one bar loop?

Pretty cool if you can pull this off as a style of DJing especially with the looping three traktor decks at once. Over my head for sure, but pretty cool nonetheless.

Also if mainly using as a step sequencer surely there are other hardware drum machines that could be integrated at least equally as well?
    Guess it doubles as a normal midi controller which is useful, and if you already have it for production then why not...

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

The f1 will d a lot of what most people use the Maschine for. Maschine still does more, but if you find yourself only scratching the surface of what Maschine does then go with the F1.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    The f1 will d a lot of what most people use the Maschine for. Maschine still does more, but if you find yourself only scratching the surface of what Maschine does then go with the F1.
    That is indeed what I usually hear.

Well, already have both, more just interested to hear what others actually do with it live, why a preference for the maschine over what I think could for the most part be done with an F1?

I can see for me its overkill to use Maschine live, not much gain for the extra hassle I already mentioned. Althought it does look kick ass sitting there cycling away in step sequencer mode...

I personally use the F1 in a live set and Maschine in the studio.. But it all depends on how often you play live and need the use of the large pads and features on Maschine.
    I'd set up drums and percussion on Maschine and loops on the F1 if you're willing to go all out!

I've been saying that since before I got my Maschine. The only time I've ever DJ'd with it was just for myself…when my girlfriend lived 70miles away, it was the weekend we were at her place, and I didn't want to pack up my X1s and a mixer. Now, I don't really use it like that because I've gone back to SSL, and I don't want to run Live just for a MIDI clock.

If they ever get good tempo controls for the thing, I'd probably start using it "live" again. But right now, it's just not worth it unless it's the core of what you do.

Maschine's home is in the studio. But, honestly, if you want to do the live production thing and are already using sync, it's probably the easiest groove box to get going alongside your DJ kit, which is why Hawtin uses it……it's an evolution of Decks, Effects, & MC-909.

Realistically, though, I think Maschine's "live" home is doing live production……and most of the people who want to do that are probably going to wind up more comfortable with Ableton Live………it's a lot easier to finish a track with Live than it is with (just) Maschine (IMHO), if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Realistically, though, I think Maschine's "live" home is doing live production……and most of the people who want to do that are probably going to wind up more comfortable with Ableton Live………it's a lot easier to finish a track with Live than it is with (just) Maschine (IMHO), if nothing else.
    Interesting. Can you elaborate your feelings on this a bit more?
    Last year I ended up dropping cash on Maschine because after toying around with a pirated copy of Ableton, I just felt like I couldn't wrap my head around it. I had full intentions of buying if I liked it, but for some reason, it just seemed a bit foreign to me. This is also after doing production in all hardware based studio (Roland XP-80, Korg MS 2000, Roland 303, and an MPC 2000XL [hence the perfect fit for Maschine for me] for years before hand though, so maybe that was an initial bit of culture shock for me. Either way, very interested to hear your view.

I've mapped all kinds of things to Maschine for use in MIDI-mode in Traktor.

+ "rotating platter" LED feedback
    + DJTT Instant Grat
    + pad pressure FX
    + cue points and loop control
    + Loop Recorder
    + Preview Player

But the only thing I find myself using while gigging is some of what I've mapped to the "Knobs/Screens" area

+ folder selection
    + C&D EQ
    + FX units on/off

I have reserved 2 pages of pads on both my Maschine and Mikro for full Remix Deck support assuming NI makes good on their statements to make them map-able.
    Technics MK2 + Maschine MK1 + Kontrol F1 + Kontrol S4 + Kontrol F1 + Mikro MK1 + Technics MK2
    Ortofon Digitrack/Scratch S/Nightclub S/DJ S + Slow Roasted SuperSeal + EV 112P x 2 w/ ZXA1-Sub
    *PLEASE CONTACT ME ABOUT PURCHASING QSC, YAMAHA, or EV LOUDSPEAKERS*

I play with others a lot - Maschine is an exceptionally powerful instrument in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post

Maschine's home is in the studio. .

I disagree! Mine come with me everywhere. Just like you go on to say, it's great for playing along with DJ kit.

Quote Originally Posted by scooterADAM View Post
    You think Ritchie is auditioning different types of kicks in his headphones before deciding which one to use repeated twice in a one bar loop?

He very well could be. I mean, one can.

Just as one can prepare a remix kit, one can prep his samples and kits. I'm very organized about it, and have many, many non-factory samples and kits. It's really easy to load anything and everything you have prepared straight from the hardware (patterns, kits, samples, VSTs (especially NI VSTs, which are well integrated - browsing one's patches and their presets is easy), effect multis, projects (which can just be collections of these elements rather than full tracks.)), so I don't find myself behind a computer screen much.

[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by scooterADAM View Post
    Guess it doubles as a normal midi controller which is useful, and if you already have it for production then why not...

It doubles as a pretty sweet -not just normal- MIDI controller, and in such a way that my mapping(s) are literally only pressing-shift-control away. I think someone made a video for Dubspot in which he played both the Maschine VST and controlled Ableton, switching back and forth.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast