USA or Oz? Local knowledge needed
    Tech Guru

Default USA or Oz? Local knowledge needed

So, I want to go travelling. I've been to Oz before and had the best time, DJ'd in a load of places while I was there. Really enjoyed it. I'm thinking about doing a years working visa and trying to get some gigs.
    Thing is though, I really like the idea of going to the states. Somewhere warm like either LA or Miami (Im thinking LA).

Im looking for a bit of advice. Where ever I go my plan is to basically get off a plane and go straight to a hostel or something similar (basically something cheap as poss), from there I will get straight into looking for work. Anything to begin with, bar work, waiting work, what ever just to tie me over. My goal is to eventually get some regular gigs and go from there. Im obviously hoping to meet new peeps on the same wavelength, maybe start some nights or work on music, what ever.

So, what I want to know is; should I go to Oz or should I go to the States? A friend of my mum lives in LA and works for Apogee, I asked him for a bit of advice and he said not to come to LA due to the recession and the lack of jobs etc. But just wanted to find out from anyone on here if they think it would be a risk doing the whole LA thing? Is there anything I need to know about?

Also, after everything is paid for (flights, insurance, visa etc) I want to have at least £1000 in the bank. Im not looking to go and bum around, Im looking to work, so would £1000 be enough if Im also working? £1000 works out to be around the $1600 mark.

So, any advice would be great. Employment situation, good areas to live, am I likely to get shot?

Peace

LA is shit right now for the job market. At least in the video game industry. Lay offs are still occuring on the regular, promotion freezes at many companies, and many of my friends have been on unemployment for almost a year. On the plus side, LA has cleaned up alot and it's very few and far between that a random will get shot. To put it bluntly, if you got shot, you probably deserved it ;p

As for having 1600 in the bank, that may last u a month; if that. rent here ranges anywhere from 800-1600 a/mo for a 1 bedroom, depending on what part of the sprawl u want to live in.

Not saying to not move here, as the underground in LA is pretty decent, just expect to bust your ass everyday to survive.

And tbh, the people, for the most part, are awesome. It's just that many of them can't drive for shit.
    facebook.com/fkdmusic
    soundcloud.com/fkdmusic
    lethaltalent.com

Tribal Rites feat Kate Lesing on Soundcloud.

Tech Guru

Sounds pretty much like England to be fair. living costs are around the same. Im thinking about youth hostels tho. Places that charge minimal amounts to stay per night, just to begin with, then hopefully i'll find a job so I can afford to rent a place. My plan is to travel with one bag so I can stick it in a locker. With a bit of luck I might meet someone who'll let me crash on their sofa or some shit, or even better a girl... with a bed!
    The thing that attracts me to LA is the people. Everyone seems proper up for it all the time. Also the weather, am I right in thinkin its pretty much hot most of the time?
    Also, the driving thing, Im used to shit drivers. Whats the driving law tho? Do you need insurance? I know some places you dont need it.

Oh, and hopefully I dont deserve to be shot.

come to new zealand you can live in a palace for 800 a month ;p oh and we dont have guns lol
    Last edited by Jester; 01-17-2010 at 07:07 PM.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

ha jesse.. nice!

Yeah dodge mate, as i said, hit me up on facey as I'm looking to do the same for a while... sounds like you have more experience/bottle than me! we need to hook up i think..

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    come to new zealand you can live in a palace for 800 a month ;p oh and we dont have guns lol
    Yeah but there's fuck all goin on in NZ??... So I've heard

hit me up on fb. damiendnb is mah profile
    facebook.com/fkdmusic
    soundcloud.com/fkdmusic
    lethaltalent.com

Tribal Rites feat Kate Lesing on Soundcloud.

The recession never really hit in Australia so you might find it alot easier to find a job here, especially here in Perth there are plenty of jobs going around if you actually prepared get off your butt and have a look around.

+ then you get to meet the one and only Bento San lol

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Damien1138 View Post
    hit me up on fb. damiendnb is mah profile
    Added

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    The recession never really hit in Australia so you might find it alot easier to find a job here, especially here in Perth there are plenty of jobs going around if you actually prepared get off your butt and have a look around.

+ then you get to meet the one and only Bento San lol
    This is what attracts me to Oz. I know it'll be easier. I stayed there for 2 months last time so know the score. I know how easy it is to DJ in places, I got some family out there, I got some mates out there and I know there's more job opportunities. If I was to go, I'd probably hit sydney then up to Brisbane and surfers. If worst comes to worst I wouldnt be on the streets due to knowing a few peeps. But then if I went to the States, I'd have no choice but to make it happen.
    Hmmm, what to do