Help understanding the back of big club mixers :(

Default Help understanding the back of big club mixers :(

So im finally upgrading my mixer from a 2 channel behringer!
    Im looking at selling my APC40 and DX2 and getting the xone:3D, Because its a great ableton controller too yes ?
    [Rear of mixer] http://www.afgroep.com/uploads/afbee...003dbackHR.jpg

So theres all your basics, XLR balanced outputs, phono/line inputs. But what are the following,
    1. monitor, that for if your using monitors instead of headphones?
    2. FX Send/Return?
    3. Why is there only 3 soundcard outputs to a 4 channel mixer? can i use my Audio 8 instead of it ?
    4. Digital audio, just another form of main output ?
    5. Game/MIDI Port?
    6. And the footswitch, can i just use the Boss FS-5L for an extra midi button.

Been answered ^
    Please help V

I was planning on connecting my audio 8 to the main mixer part, then using the midi out on the mixer into the midi port of the A8

The 3D and 4D are essentially the same are they not just with the the 4D being traktor certified and the extra £300 price tag.
    thanks <3
    Last edited by Cook; 02-07-2011 at 03:24 PM.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

The Xone 3d is a bit rubbish (3 souncard outputs but 4 channels = annoying). Get the 4d if at all possible.

Monitor = an output for your booth monitors. Most mixers have this, the volume is controlled by the booth monitor knob.

MIDI port = you can plug in more MIDI devices.

FX Send/Return? = you can send/return audio to dedicated FX processing units. Oldschool way of doing effects with a separate box. Works exactly like Send/Returns have always worked.

Digital audio is just another output, but digital.

1) Monitors are used IN ADDITION to headphones. The monitors output the same as the main speakers. If you imagine the main speakers are at the back of the room, and the decks/mixer are at the front of the room - there's gonna be a delay in the sound heard (from the DJ's perspective) in the mixer/headphones and the sound heard through the main speakers. The monitor speakers mean you can split cue, and the mix that the crowd (next to the speakers) hears is exactly the same as what you hear.

2) FX sends allow you to use external FX units. The FX send outputs the audio from that channel to the FX unit, and the FX return routes the effected audio back into that channel on the mixer.

3) Dunno? Maybe those outs are for 1 - main out, 2 - cue out, 3 - record out. I assume the mixer connects to your computer by USB, with all four inputs via USB?

4) Yup. SPDIF is a digital output usually used for recording the output of the mixer.

5) Dunno. Midi input? Means you can use an old style midi controller connected by the old style 5-pin midi cable.

6) No idea what the footswitch input is for. Could be useful, though...

Aks me another one.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

I was planning on connecting my audio 8 to the main mixer part, then using the midi out on the mixer into the midi port of the A8

The 3D and 4D are essentially the same are they not? just with an extra £300 price tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    1)
    6) No idea what the footswitch input is for. Could be useful, though...
    footswitch would be used in replacement of pressing the shift key for your midi mappings. just frees your fingers up for something more important - i.e fx tweaking etc.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    1. monitor, that for if your using monitors instead of headphones?
    2. FX Send/Return?
    3. Why is there only 3 soundcard outputs to a 4 channel mixer? can i use my Audio 8 instead of it ?
    4. Digital audio, just another form of main output ?
    5. Game/MIDI Port?
    6. And the footswitch, can i just use the Boss FS-5L for an extra midi button.

thanks <3
    1. Usually in most dj booths you have monitors for the dj. The main PA is too far away to have a good mixing signal (delay, reverb, etc) so to make precise mixes and be able to judge the sound correctly you get those monitors which are usually connected to a special output in the mixer with an independent volume control.

2. audio to FX / and back from FX

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post

The 3D and 4D are essentially the same are they not? just with an extra £300 price tag.
    Bumping this,