What's a good buddy for Maschine Mikro?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default What's a good buddy for Maschine Mikro?

Hello all,

I do not know if my decision was a good one or not, but I went with the Mikro and it is on its way. I know it doesnt have all of the knobs and everything else that Maschine has but I was okay with that because I figured I would be doing a lot with the mouse and on the screen that it wouldnt bother me much. I am now having second thoughts...

With that said, what is another piece of equipment that totally compliments with the Mikro and would be a good add on?

Much thanks for any opinions and options you guys give.

I use the mikro and it's fine for me. For DJing I use it with the x1 for cue points controlling traktor. For production I do most of my work in my DAW (Logic) so the mouseless workflow wasn't really going to work for me anyways. The mikro is great as a little plugin controller when all you need is the pads. My next production controller is probably going to be an iPad so I can do the logic remote thing and play with some of the iOS synths. I'm about to get the maschine 2.0 upgrade and depending on how that goes I might upgrade to a the studio but time will tell. I do really like the small form factor of the mikro. Not sure where I'll put my beer on my production desk if I get the studio... decisions. decisions. lol

Quote Originally Posted by jbernthold View Post
    Hello all,

I do not know if my decision was a good one or not, but I went with the Mikro and it is on its way. I know it doesnt have all of the knobs and everything else that Maschine has but I was okay with that because I figured I would be doing a lot with the mouse and on the screen that it wouldnt bother me much. I am now having second thoughts...

With that said, what is another piece of equipment that totally compliments with the Mikro and would be a good add on?

Much thanks for any opinions and options you guys give.
    All depends on what software you are using.... The really annoying thing about the Maschine software is that you can't use external midi controllers to record automation... so you're stuck with just the 1 knob (which is annoying in itself as it's stepped...). I find the Mikro fine for controlling everything else in Maschine.

If using in a daw, then you have a whole multitude of controllers to pick to control your DAW.
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by robdquick View Post
    All depends on what software you are using.... The really annoying thing about the Maschine software is that you can't use external midi controllers to record automation... so you're stuck with just the 1 knob (which is annoying in itself as it's stepped...). I find the Mikro fine for controlling everything else in Maschine.

If using in a daw, then you have a whole multitude of controllers to pick to control your DAW.
    So only Maschine works with the Maschine software?

Tech Guru

Yes correct. If your using maschine as more of a plugin, rather than stand alone, it's not a big issue.
    But it depends on your workflow, personally I dont use effects within maschine that need additional control, I do all effects etc within ableton.

It doesn't bother me not having all the controls of the bigger maschine, think the only thing I'd like is seperate group controls. But then again the maschine mikro is very good at what it does do.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Tech Convert

amadeus,

So how do you go about that process? You do your production in Maschine and then post production in Ableton with adding effects ect. ?

amadeus,

So how do you go about that process? You do your production in Maschine and then post production in Ableton with adding effects ect. ?
    That's how I do mine. Either using Maschine as a VST plugin in Ableton, or just exporting the midi or audio into Ableton and doing everything in there.

Maschine can be used as a midi controller as well, so could be set up to control a DAW, but I personally don't think it's worth it, the layout is very much suited to the Maschine software, and I find it doesn't correlate with my DAW (Ableton) at all. Plus most of the work I do in Ableton involves sliders and knobs, so I use a Xone:K2 for controlling most of the stuff in Ableton.
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud

Tech Guru

amadeus,

I use maschine as a plugin the majority of the time, running sounds out of maschine into audio tracks on ableton. With 16 outs you have plenty to work with, I get my ideas together in maschine, record into ableton.

Gives me the best of both worlds, as I can record while adjusting effect parameters within ableton.

Maschine is a fantastic way of getting ideas together, but wouldn't want to use it to structure tracks. Ableton has features that maschine doesn't and to be honest they work brilliantly together.

If I want to get an idea down quickly, maschine is the one.

Personally the way I work, I wouldnt benefit much from having the full size maschine. If your going to use maschine in such a way that it is normally your main focus then I can see it makes sense.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Tech Convert

Ok,

I have Ableton, but just never really took the time to learn it cause I didnt have a controller for it and it just seems so overwhelming not knowing anything and their being soooo sooo much in there to do. I never knew where to start.

If I was going to go the same route you two seem to think is a very good way, what would be a good piece of Ableton equipment to purchase since you guys may have bought something you wish you hadnt, or saw something else that may have been better to grab.
    Last edited by jbernthold; 11-14-2013 at 10:34 AM.

Tech Guru

Ok,

I have Ableton, but just never really took the time to learn it cause I didnt have a controller for it and it just seems so overwhelming not knowing anything and their being soooo sooo much in there to do. I never knew where to start.

If I was going to go the same route you two seem to think is a very good way, what would be a good piece of Ableton equipment to purchase since you guys may have bought something you wish you hadnt, or saw something else that may have been better to grab.
    As you can see in my sig, with ableton I use an apc 20 and a NI X1 MK1 controller that I used to use when I used traktor. The X1 is actually very usefull in ableton. I also have a midi keyboard with more controls.

The APC is a brilliant bit of kit, probably don't use it's full potential, I would personally go for something that offers more control.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast