Bjork - Crystalline (ESSBEEDEE's Jackin Bootleg)

Smile Bjork - Crystalline (ESSBEEDEE's Jackin Bootleg)

Yo guys.

Heres a little bootleg I did of Bjorks track Crystalline.

Leme know your thoughts

ESSBEEDEE
    http://www.essbeedee.com

Where I work - www.juno.co.uk - "Worlds biggest online Dance music store. DJ Mag award for Best Record Store 3 years running."

Great recut. Good use of musical elements, good use of atmospheric bass, vocals were clear and it was obvious you like the original source material.

Next time, those claps are central to the groove of the track but they're in a very dry space. Stereoizing them, adding another layerd sound and maybe a short reverb tail would make them a more interesting element and highlight their importantance. Also, all the elements are very central in the stereo field. Can some of the backing vocals be panned left and right of the main vocal to add some interest? The highhats and high freq percussion needs to be placed left and right in the stereo field too.

Apart from that, increase the length to 6 minutes, bring it to a second, higher climax with a second musical element, slap it on Beatport and I'd buy it!
    Last edited by Fatlimey; 07-26-2011 at 12:43 PM.

Hey man,

Thanks for the feedback.

Its strange you were talking about panning and covering the sound spectrum as that was something I actually felt I could of done better with.

You know...i'm gona make a few of those adjustments you said below right now man!

I'll drop a post on here when its up.

Thanks man appreciate the feedback

Where I work - www.juno.co.uk - "Worlds biggest online Dance music store. DJ Mag award for Best Record Store 3 years running."

Excellent. Two other points - I'm guessing you're using Ableton Live for editing? If so, can you swap the vocal Warp Type to "complex" because you can really hear the glitching on the vocals as it time-compresses it. Unless that's an "other worldly" feel you're going for in which case emphasise it.

Second, the part around 3:10 where you make a tight loop of the vocals and keep it going then drop the BD to kick off the groove. I think you can push that further, add more high percussion layers then drop a break after 16 bars and make that into a big climax. Reinstate the vocals back afterwards without dropping out too much and you can coast to the runout. Job done.

More atmospheric layers to fill the empty spaces (i.e. make the empty spaces you want to have meaningfful, fill the rest) and you've got a storming remix that I could see Nick Warren or Pete Tong actually dropping.

I'll give it a try and see how it sounds changing the warp mode....If I simply just change it to complex now will it effect the vocal or would I have to choose complex before the track is warped?

Also....can you explain a bit better what you mean for this

"Second, the part around 3:10 where you make a tight loop of the vocals and keep it going then drop the BD to kick off the groove. I think you can push that further, add more high percussion layers then drop a break after 16 bars and make that into a big climax. Reinstate the vocals back afterwards without dropping out too much and you can coast to the runout. Job done."

Not sure what you mean by dropping a break....do you mean to basically get rid of everything for maybe half a bar/1 bar and then drop everything back in....

EDIT.......

I have just rearranged it a bit.....I kept the tight loop going for 4 bars then for the next 4 I've got just the chime sound going....with a build effect...then as it peaks the vocal 'Crystalline' comes in and the chorus starts and everythin comes back in...sound good?
    Last edited by ESSBEEDEE; 07-26-2011 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ESSBEEDEE View Post
    Not sure what you mean by dropping a break....do you mean to basically get rid of everything for maybe half a bar/1 bar and then drop everything back in....
    "Dropping" is when you add a new layer, like bringing back the BD ups the energy, bringing back the highhats adds a little more. Addingand removing more layers of percussion plays with the level of energy. I think you can jam with the tight vocal loop and repeat it for a 16-count, add the BD and repeat for 16, add a percussion layer and repeat fort 16, lose the BD and add back the vocal, repeat for 8. Trance out on it, turn it from a vocal loop into a sound texture - surprising your audience mby making them rethink what they are listening to, or hear something familiar in a new way.

Be brave and start repeating things and playing with layers and see how much energy you can build by adding and removing elements, culminating with a "swoosh" layer of rising filtered white noise to add pressure.

Well, that's my style. I like to take something that works and lead it into a new direction by trancing out on some elements, build to a climax and reinstate the vocals, then remove elements over time to relax back to a tight groove that you repeat to the end.

You do your own thing. I'd just say try experimenting with more layers of percussion and atmospherics to build and release pressure and don';t be afraid to repeat stuff for 16 or 32 counts before changing something.

Ok man...I made a few changes....leme know your thoughts....

http://soundcloud.com/essbeedee/bjor...ootleg/s-CFnqO