Connecting DJM to Yamaha HS5s?

Question Connecting DJM to Yamaha HS5s?

my very simple question needs a very simple answer.. one that appears to be no-where on the internet..

AM I RIGHT in thinking that the cables I need to connect my DJM 400 mixer to my Yamaha HS5 active monitors is simply an RCA to XLR cable?

this looks obvious enough, but when I took to the web for confirmation, a lot of people seem to have a lot of different answers..

This should be all I need.. Confirm or Deny.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stereo-Male-.../dp/B001AAZWIO

(only using one XLR per monitor obvs.)
    "We think too much and feel too little"
    K B R I D G E

correct. alternatively you could use RCA to TRS for the same result since your monitor provides either one, but as far as your original question goes: you'd be fine with the cable you posted.

Tech Guru

Get a pair of these adapters and use standard RCA cables, which I'm guessing you already have.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/6-35mm-inch-.../dp/B008F7T2XQ

Edit: RCA to XLR is not a good idea as it doesn't guarantee that the cold connection is grounded, which a mono TS 1/4" jack does.
    Last edited by makar1; 06-22-2013 at 06:30 AM.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Get a pair of these adapters and use standard RCA cables, which I'm guessing you already have.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/6-35mm-inch-.../dp/B008F7T2XQ

Edit: RCA to XLR is not a good idea as it doesn't guarantee that the cold connection is grounded, which a mono TS 1/4" jack does.
    Thanks bro, but the XLR to RCA has sorted it, well chuffed
    "We think too much and feel too little"
    K B R I D G E

Just a note on adaptors, I've never liked using them, as its just 1 more connection point. I know it doesn't make a huge difference, but when you have audio problems, its just another thing to look at. I'm a fan of just cables, no extra connections. Not that adaptors are all bad.

But looks like you have your answer above
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Guru

Fewer connections are good, but being able to use standard cables is a better solution IMO. The adapter I recommended is particularly suitable as it guarantees the grounding of the cold balanced input on the monitors.

Balanced to unbalanced cables are usually things to avoid where possible.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by kbridge View Post
    my very simple question needs a very simple answer.. one that appears to be no-where on the internet..

AM I RIGHT in thinking that the cables I need to connect my DJM 400 mixer to my Yamaha HS5 active monitors is simply an RCA to XLR cable?

this looks obvious enough, but when I took to the web for confirmation, a lot of people seem to have a lot of different answers..

This should be all I need.. Confirm or Deny.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stereo-Male-.../dp/B001AAZWIO

(only using one XLR per monitor obvs.)
    Hi I am using a Stanton M304 mixer I’m getting some Yamaha Hs5s I feel totally out of the loop tech wise and I would really appreciate advice about the right leads to get from my mixer to the speakers ... I really have no idea please help ... Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by DarkYoung View Post
    Hi I am using a Stanton M304 mixer I’m getting some Yamaha Hs5s I feel totally out of the loop tech wise and I would really appreciate advice about the right leads to get from my mixer to the speakers ... I really have no idea please help ... Calvin
    Hi. You need 2 identical cables with 1/4" TRS jacks on both ends. If you search "1/4" balanced jack TRS cable" you will find stores to purchase them from.

But let me be honest: this stuff is basics of DJ-ing. If you don't know this stuff you have no business going outside the bedroom. Internet is at your disposal, start by googling "difference between balanced and unbalanced cable", "type of audio connections" and then go read the manual to your mixer and other equipment you have.

Cheers
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2