CDJ Upgrade from Mixtrack Pro
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CDJ Upgrade from Mixtrack Pro

Hey guys, I've been mixing on a Numark Mixtrack Pro II for almost a year now but one of the pitch faders has died and I really want to start learning to beatmatch properly.

Here's my setup:

Numark Mixtrack Pro II with Chroma Caps
    Traktor Kontrol X1
    Macbook Pro 13"
    Traktor Pro 2
    Sennheiser HD 25 II's

I feel I need to upgrade to sometime more advanced and with a much better build quality. I've played around with my friend's Traktor S2 and although it's a very nice piece of kit I don't really see it as an upgrade. The same goes for all controllers in all honesty.

So i'm looking at getting some second hand CDJs and a mixer to hook up with traktor although I'd also like to be able to practise without my macbook. I have no intention of using CD's for this purpose so USB functionality is preferable. I have had a glance at the 200's, 350's, 400's, 800's and 850's, which would you recommend?

With regards to the mixer, what are the advantages of having a 4 channel mixer over a 2 channel? Are Xone and DJM's worth the money? Some say a mixer is a mixer but others say it is the backbone of your setup and is something you cannot afford to shortchange on...

Having lots of effects are not a priority, I already have my Traktor Kontrol X1 which can control 3 banks of effects for each deck.

In terms of budget, I'd be willing to go up to the cost of a brand new Traktor S4 MK2 (around £650 or $800), but the cheaper the better and the earlier i can get them.

Also on a side note I need to invest in some monitors. I've almost decided on getting the KRK Rokit 5's but any advice on this would also be helpful!

Cheers!

Default CDJ's

Hi there. The answers to your queries I think I could shed some light on. Opinion only really, but newer generation CDJ (Pioneer) has much more functionality with USB/SD/rekordbox, and higher sound quality, they build quality is a bit lacking. I bought an MK1 1000 in 2001 to augment the technics. I own 2000's now, and my friend got some used 1000 MK3's a little while ago, I can tell you those MK 3's are well made (burning CD's though). At the time I bought my first one, did have to upgrade the 2 channel mixer. Times changed along with other things. So years later I went digital, and a four channel mixer (for me) is a must. If not for 2 cdjs and 2 turntables (which not everybody does, I get that that, I'm old), then for traktor's 4 decks (It's nice to have at least a third). Digitally, for me, 2 Kontrol X1's (Or A&H K2's) for 4 deck control, and a mixer to MIX on. All-in-one is just that, space saving and economic. I've had the same A&H X:92 mixer for over 8 years. Well made analog mixers are what big systems use. I've seen photos of stage Shamabala, where the DJ is mixing on a Pioneer 800 mixer, and routing the final audio into an A&H mixer. The big clubs in in Europe, most put the X:92 on their rider. Again, it's just my opinion, but digital mixers (especially with digital files) can lack warmth and seem harsh. I've been DJing with a crowd that's into vinyl for the last while. On a big system, with some new records and my mixer, the sound is great. CDJ's and digital mixers do the job, but come with a colouring of the sound. Good equipment is a big investment, and can't always happen at once. But totally worth it. Hope that helps.

Not all those cdj models take USB sticks, and unless you plan on spinning 4 decks you won't need a 4 channel mixer. If you have the money to spend, then just get yourself a nice Pioneer or Xone mixer as well. I personally don't recommend CDJ 350's but you can find 850's for a decent price if you shop around.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JezWright123 View Post
    In terms of budget, I'd be willing to go up to the cost of a brand new Traktor S4 MK2 (around £650 or $800), but the cheaper the better and the earlier i can get them.
    If that's your total budget for the mixer and CDJs, you're better off just going with a controller. Standalone gear costs more since the computer isn't doing all the work.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Start small and go 2 channel mixer. Trying to manage more than two channels while learning proper beat matching is tough. I find I rarely, if ever use 2 of the channels on my 4 channel mixer, but I want the capability of jamming with one of my buddies.

KRK Rokit's are fine for DJing/monitoring - not the best, but perfectly suitable.

I'd check craigslist/ebay, look for a Xone 22 or DJM 250/350 along with the CDJs. I'm pretty sure I've seen the 850's at about $300 or $350 in my craigslist perusing, so it's probably going to be tough to get two good CDJs with USB and a good 2 channel mixer given your budget. Add Rokits when you're blinged back up.

Tech Guru

CDJ 850s are usually £400-£500 here. Are you sure you saw 850s at $300 or were they 800s?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    CDJ 850s are usually £400-£500 here. Are you sure you saw 850s at $300 or were they 800s?
    If they were 850's then I'd be more than willing to buy them on the spot for that price

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    Not all those cdj models take USB sticks, and unless you plan on spinning 4 decks you won't need a 4 channel mixer. If you have the money to spend, then just get yourself a nice Pioneer or Xone mixer as well. I personally don't recommend CDJ 350's but you can find 850's for a decent price if you shop around.
    So what are the advantages of the 850's over the 350's and the 400's? Are the 200's and 800's good alternatives even though they lack USB functionality?

Had a quick look at mixers: Xone 22, Pioneer DJM 250, 350 and 400... The Xone 22 seems a bit bare in all honesty, what are the advantages of Allen & Heath mixers over Pioneer mixers?

Could have been 800's. I just remember seeing an 8. I'm not a CDJ guy so I don't pay much attention to those posts other than...that looks like a bargain.

If you want to learn beatmatching, just go for Pioneer cdj 100s (-for 100's they don't read mp3. ) or 200's with djm 250; 300 or 400. That would be more for your budget and on this gear you will definatly learn to beatmatch and they are solid and working good, for bedroom DJ'ing just perfect.

Later you can update for NI: Traktor Z2 or A2; A4 with timecodes, and you back to digital if you want.

Buying or Burning cd's it's not so big problem, it makes your collection much better.
    SoundCloud
    Mixcloud
    Progression on TFB-Radio
    Pioneer CDJ-100, Pioneer DJM-250, Technics RP-DH1200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast