Audio Over Ethernet/Cat5

Default Audio Over Ethernet/Cat5

Hey guys,

Just wondering if any of you know anything about transferring audio over ethernet. i have looked at a few options like Ethersound etc. but it seems a bit much for what i want.

basically i want to run the audio from traktor on one computer to ableton on another computer for effects etc.

im not really worried about midi clock sync as i know its not possible

i know there is software like Soundflower etc that makes virtual links between programs (used for routing traktor to ableton on one computer) but is there something like this for over a network?

it just seems to me like it would be a much easier and quicker (in terms of latency and set up) than using 2 soundcards.

any information or advice would be appreciated.

oh and btw im on a mac

cheers
    fart.

Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Tenerife Island, Spain

A couple of friends did something, but not the same, in this way.
    A standard turntable dj set and a laptop with ableton and a 2 channel mixer in between. Let me explain:
    The dj (turntable) worked normally but his signal can be captured and processed by the ableton guy who makes ins and outs on the mixer in between with the crossfader. I thionk that the mixer of the turntable dj has two outputs running one to the mixer in between and the other to the inputs of the soundcard of the ableton guy. This was only an experiment in a private party and after that they make more essays to built a very funny show.
    Looking at this is probably that you can find a solution, good luck.

I donīt know much about this and I have not researched much, but my inicial thoughts are that probably the ethernet cat5 cable has the potential to transfer all the data flow generated from a sound session in traktor or other software to a netowork and then to another PC. Considering that there is common to have gigabit cards on laptops. So probably untill the network layer everything will go well. What I bealive is the problem is that there needs to be a converting interface (hardware or software) in between the Nic and your pc in order to make the Ip packets legible and represantable for the software. So I bealive that that is what ASIO drivers and sound interfaces are for. I have a videoconference equipement in my office (which works thorugh an ethernet connection) and it has a huge codec for audio and video transmition.
    The most probable thing is that you will need a hardware like a sound interface that had rj45 plugs instead of firewire. If done by software the conversion from Ip packet through the nic to the software would take too long to really be usefull. But as I told you this are just my thoughts.
    Last edited by alien2k; 04-30-2009 at 11:13 AM.

Silver Fox,

Are you wanting to run 1 output from traktor to another computer, or are you wanting to run 4 channels, one for each deck, into the other computer. If you are only going to use the master out from traktor into ableton on another computer, it would probably be easiest to just use 2 soundcards. And a midi clock sync is possible, just depends on which you would want to be the master/slave. On mac you can send midi clock messages over a network easily, not sure about on a PC.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

http://www.cobranet.info/en/support/cobranet/
    http://www.ethersound.com/

Those are the two biggest guys in the 802.3 standard.

if it's not 802.3 it's probably not going to function correctly.
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

thanks for all ur help peps

@DJPhaidon
    i would like to send all 4 channels over

i was thinking about this last night and i was trying to figure out wether it would be better to have the effects in ableton pre or post EQ. post EQ would mean i would have to go to the mixer first and then to the ableton Mac
    fart.

Quote Originally Posted by silver fox View Post
    thanks for all ur help peps

@DJPhaidon
    i would like to send all 4 channels over
    I'm not sure that it would be very cheap to run 4 channels of audio over to another computer unless you were going from soundcard outputs to the other computers soundcard inputs. I haven't seen anything on Soundflower about going over the net, but I do know that if you wanted to run ableton and traktor on the same machine, you could route all 4 channels pre or post FX using soundflower. Shoot me a pm if you figure anything out, cause it is an interesting idea.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2