What the hell is a Synthesizer?

Default What the hell is a Synthesizer?

Hey guys. Sorry I had to drag you in by the catchy title - but I do have a relevant noob question. Here's my situation:

All I would like is a synth/keyboard (..midi, right? ) that I can use in FL Studio. Is it going to have to be USB, etc. What input am I looking for? I would like to find a cheap one on Craigslist locally if I can, just need to know what I'm looking for.
    Soundcloud:
    http://soundcloud.com/formulaoneowns

Please, check me out!

cool title.. it worked

you are just looking for a midi keyboard, usb is the best as you don't need to buy a converter. midi keyboards are just midi controllers incapable of making noise, you can get synthesizers that output midi as well, but they cost a lot more as they are instruments capable of making sound.

If you have a two to three hundred to spend the akai mpk series are great, they have heaps of controls so you can control plugins, as well as drum pads and keys.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

In the same price range as the Akai, I would suggest the Novation series (SL). They have aftertouch (which Akai MPK don't have).
    But tbh the pads kinda suck on the Novation.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by dope View Post
    In the same price range as the Akai, I would suggest the Novation series (SL). They have aftertouch (which Akai MPK don't have).
    But tbh the pads kinda suck on the Novation.
    +1 on the pads but i would still recommend the novation SL mk2 like dope said. it has a ton of knobs and faders for controlling parameters and the keys are long and well spread out.
    Numark Mixtrack Pro - Novation Launchpad - VDJ 7 PRO (dont hate I like VDJ) - Ableton suite 8.x.x - Thinkpad 13' Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by PeteWoods View Post
    It shouldnt matter how you make people dance, just as long as you do.
    ...that last bit is completely sig-able if anyone chooses to.

Yep I like the Novation too; totally agree on the pads - ignore them and use the rest of the keyboard only. Automapping is cool in ableton and probably same in FL Studio; it's a little less friendly if you want to map stuff yourself (I spent weeks on a traktor mapping and finally gave up). The Akais are nice too though.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan