Anyone have the KRK 10S subwoofer?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone have the KRK 10S subwoofer?

Specifically wondering if anyone has it and uses it with the RP5s.

I'm interested, but not sure if I'm going to have to keep it on about 2/10 all the time to avoid overpowering the 5s.

Any advice appreciated.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Wizard

I cannot be of any help when using it with rp5's but I use it with rp6's all of the time and I find that it will no overpower them at all until you get it far about 0db on the level. In fact, it usually distorts all to heck before it overpowers them and even then it's only the "banging" distortion that overpowers it.

Hope this helps.
    2x CDJ 900 | DJM 900 Nexus | TSP2 | 2011 15" MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz | KRK RP6 | Sennheiser HD 25-1 mkII

Tech Mentor

Not sure I understand the question. Anyways, here goes.

The signal going out to the monitors runs through a crossover, not through an amplifier. The crossover doesn't amplify the signal. Well, maybe it does by a small amount (2-3dB at the most) at the cross-over frequency due to the nature of the high-pass filter. But no more than that. (EDIT: and if you were worried about that tiny bit of amplification at the cross-over frequency you could turn down the volume on the back of your RP5s.)
    Last edited by rgtb; 02-27-2012 at 08:26 AM.

For DJing it is awesome and definitely won't overpower it since you want sub bass, you can just set the level on the back to taste I wouldn't DJ with the rokkits without it.

Quote Originally Posted by rgtb View Post
    Not sure I understand the question. Anyways, here goes.
    Thanks for the reply, but what I was referring to was simply in terms of discernible volume. I understand that it's just a crossover, but what I mean is will the bass from the 10s be so loud that the 5s don't match it. It would be a shame to invest in such a nice sub and have to keep it on super low volume the whole time!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    For DJing it is awesome and definitely won't overpower it since you want sub bass, you can just set the level on the back to taste I wouldn't DJ with the rokkits without it.
    Cheers xone, very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Thanks for the reply, but what I was referring to was simply in terms of discernible volume. I understand that it's just a crossover, but what I mean is will the bass from the 10s be so loud that the 5s don't match it. It would be a shame to invest in such a nice sub and have to keep it on super low volume the whole time!
    What's the difference? Just set the level and crossover frequency on the back however you like, and for DJing you don't have to worry about accuracy so you could crank it up if you want and it won't overpower it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    What's the difference?
    I think the other poster thought I was asking if the 10s amplified the signal rather than just being a crossover, ie to a level that would damage the 5s.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Thanks for the reply, but what I was referring to was simply in terms of discernible volume.
    oh ok but i sort of answered that already. you still have the volume and EQ controls on the back of sub and monitors. use those to adjust to taste and room acoustics.

Thanks for your help everyone. My housemates are gonna hate this

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast