Beatmatching in Key?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Beatmatching in Key?

Hi massive noob here

I've been messing around with digital djing for about 2 months and the other day I was watching some youtube videos from a guy that was giving tutorials and various things and he kept stressing that mixing songs with the same key was very important (the thread was on this forum some of you probably saw it.) So my question is when mixing is it ideal that the songs are both the same bpm AND in the same key?

I tried making a 1/2 hour mix last night where the songs I was beatmatching where both in the same key and I felt like it sounded quite a bit better, but I'm super inexperienced.

Thanks

Dont only stick to 1 key though, after a while It gets extremely boring
    mixedinkey.com
    Look through that site.
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by MuzicFreq View Post
    Dont only stick to 1 key though, after a while It gets extremely boring
    mixedinkey.com
    Look through that site.
    I was looking at that earlier today, thanks.

Is mixed in key the best software for this or is there some kind of free software that does more or less the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by MPHansen View Post
    I was looking at that earlier today, thanks.

Is mixed in key the best software for this or is there some kind of free software that does more or less the same thing?
    look up Rapid Evolution 3
    When running it turn off BPM settings since it detects bpm of tracks like shit, but the keys are fairly accurate
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Caveat: At the end of the day it's a useful tool, but don't let keymatching prevent you playing a track you think works, or make you play a track to segue between two other you like so you stick to the rules ... play the shit you love, and bollocks to the rest.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by sherlock ohms View Post
    caveat: At the end of the day it's a useful tool, but don't let keymatching prevent you playing a track you think works, or make you play a track to segue between two other you like so you stick to the rules ... Play the shit you love, and bollocks to the rest.
    +1000

Tech Guru

it doesnt have to be the same key, just a complimentary one
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by MPHansen View Post
    Hi massive noob here

I tried making a 1/2 hour mix last night where the songs I was beatmatching where both in the same key and I felt like it sounded quite a bit better, but I'm super inexperienced.

Thanks
    I'm no dj really, but I've been a composer for about 20 years so I have some experience about "key".

Some say theory and key is everything, others say rules are to be broken.

As many I take the position, does it sound better? If it does then just do it.

The theory can help you decide which keys works with what, but in the end of the day use your ears.

If you think it sound better, then it probably does. However, at first it's often hard to know what works and not. In a sense, one has to train a set of critical ears. Some seems to be born with them, for others it's hard work.

If it applies to composing, it must apply to dj:ing.

Soo.

1. Use your ears,
    2. are keys all wrong between the tracks you want to mix right now?
    3. Be a dj, find a creative solution and make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by arcane View Post
    Use your ears
    Best advice here. Mixed In Key is a great tool but don't be a slave to it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast