Do I need endless encoders?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Do I need endless encoders?

Hi all,

I am looking to add to my current setup. Now I am more comfortable with controller basics, I want to take things to the next level.

Having started of with a Faderfox DJ3, I have now ordered a Midi Fighter to give me more control over cue points and loops. However, while waiting for it to arrive, I decided that the addition of some more knobs would give me greater creative freedom.

I am very interested in Livid's Code (http://goo.gl/ikWza). It looks almost perfect for the extra level of control I need. My only concern is the resolution/ speed of the knobs. Ideally, I'd like to be able to make fine adjustments to certain parameters (FX, filters, pitch...) but I am unsure whether I would bump up against the 128-step limit of standard MIDI messages.

The Code uses endless encoders which I believe can send both absolute values and incremental/decremental ones. If I used increments with very low values (when used with a modifier, for example) would I be able to emulate the action of higher resolution devices? I am guessing I could but I can't be certain. Would the endless encoders give me fine control?

I also spotted a Monome knobby thing (http://goo.gl/w0tOo) which they allege is high resolution and might pair well with the MIDI Fighter. It looks interesting. The only problem is it uses OSC. It also seems very expensive for two, admittedly stylish, encoders stuck in a piece of wood. Does it offer any tangible benefits over the Code?

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Last edited by inov8; 02-22-2011 at 09:31 AM.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by inov8 View Post
    Hi all,

I am looking to add to my current setup. Now I am more comfortable with controller basics, I want to take things to the next level.

Having started of with a Faderfox DJ3, I have now ordered a Midi Fighter to give me more control over cue points and loops. However, while waiting for it to arrive, I decided that the addition of some more knobs would give me greater creative freedom.

I am very interested in Livid's Code (http://goo.gl/ikWza). It looks almost perfect for the extra level of control I need. My only concern is the resolution/ speed of the knobs. Ideally, I'd like to be able to make fine adjustments to certain parameters (FX, filters, pitch...) but I am unsure whether I would bump up against the 128-step limit of standard MIDI messages.

The Code uses endless encoders which I believe can send both absolute values and incremental/decremental ones. If I used increments with very low values (when used with a modifier, for example) would I be able to emulate the action of higher resolution devices? I am guessing I could but I can't be certain. Would the endless encoders give me fine control?

I also spotted a Monome knobby thing (http://goo.gl/w0tOo) which they allege is high resolution and might pair well with the MIDI Fighter. It looks interesting. The only problem is it uses OSC. It also seems very expensive for two, admittedly stylish, encoders stuck in a piece of wood. Does it offer any tangible benefits over the Code?

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    I have a Livid Instruments Ohm64 and the editor for this is makes their units really quite customiseable.
    Ask a question on the Livid Instruments forum, they are really very supportive of thier products (they have made custom chages to their software for me in the past), it is possible to flash the unit itself and completely change its function:eek:.
    MBP (Traktor/ Ableton) MBP 17" (Early 2009) 2.93Ghz Core duo, 4Gb 1077Mhz RAM, Seagate Momentus XT 7200rpm 500GB OS X 10.6.4 TSP 1.2.6 (R8491), ADJ8 (2.3.14 driver)
    Midi/ Control (either) Vestax: VCM-600 Livid: Ohm64 Akai: APC80 Korg: PadKontrol (running through FarmPad) Technics: SL1210mk II x 1 (and regret selling my other so think twice)

Tech Wizard

Yeah , I've just been reading the software manual. Some great features. The addition of fast and slow blinking LED feedback is very appealing. I'll ask the same question on the Livid forum but it's less about Code and more about the way that Traktor handles the input from endless encoders.

The Ohm64 looks sweet. I'm guessing it has pots rather than encoders, though? How does it compare to your VCM-600?

I see that Livid as an overpriced APC40 with less faders
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by MuzicFreq View Post
    I see that Livid as an amazing open source APC40 with less faders
    fixed

Quote Originally Posted by muffintop View Post
    fixed
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    confession time: I clicked on this thread only because my dirty mind made a connection between "6 analogues and 14 digitals" and "2 girls 1 cup".
    Setup: VAI-40, Nanokey2, APC20, Ableton, (Shit ton of VST), TP2, DN SC2000, LPD8 (RIP) MF3D (with custom Mapping FX for ableton for Turnado and Artillary2 (ill release it when its been perfected.) PM me if interested in the mapping or helping me with it.

As BCR2000 enthousiast I can only say, you can never have enough endless rotaries.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

The BCR2000 is surprisingly boss... Daft punk used it for god sake. A buddy of mine bought one because of Tekki, and I'm very jelly of him.
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

Quote Originally Posted by muffintop View Post
    fixed
    well your waste of money

would be better if there was multi color LEDs for seeing more on what does what when mapped. $800 can get you better
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Quote Originally Posted by tyfurious View Post
    The BCR2000 is surprisingly boss... Daft punk used it for god sake. A buddy of mine bought one because of Tekki, and I'm very jelly of him.
    Hope he is still enjoying it, mate!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast