Korg Volca Series
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Korg Volca Series

Anyone have these toys in their setups? I'm looking to get some hardware synths into my studio and these are pretty affordable. Anyone here have these? Any reviews?

Tech Mentor

I've got the Keys. You can get some interesting sounds out of it for sure but I've never really spent enough time with it to properly explore it to be honest. It's fun but does feel a bit like a toy. Not bad for the price, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I've got the Keys. You can get some interesting sounds out of it for sure but I've never really spent enough time with it to properly explore it to be honest. It's fun but does feel a bit like a toy. Not bad for the price, though.
    Yeah, I've realized how small they were but for the price I am very interested in at least the bass model. After toying with a few hardware machines I've really started to want one...

Tech Mentor

I've found it tricky to get a decent recording level out of it, but that's probably just me being a fanny.

You mean it's a quiet little guy?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    You mean it's a quiet little guy?
    Well, output is via a mini-jack but no matter what cables I use i always get a real low signal into Ableton. Now, it could be that mine has a fault, or it could just be the way it is set up but I've heard a couple of other people saying the same thing. Like I said, though, I've never spent enough time on it to work out whether its a real problem or not. It has speakers built in as well but they're pretty shit (but totally irrelevant for proper production work) although you could probably get some really fun lo-fi House stuff going on if you stuck a mike in front of them.

It's less than 150 notes and you do get what you pay for. It's fun but don't expect too much out of it.

You may have talked me out of it now lol. Looking for some more input though, thanks for the info!

So you use it for live performances?

Tech Mentor

Picked up the Volca Bass. I haven't had much time with it, but it does sound really really nice. The internal sequencer takes some getting used to, but kind of intuitive once you get the hang of it. I was planning on sequencing it from an external source like Ableton or Logic. Love the filter... it can get pretty squelchy
    I'd say, for the price... it's well worth it if you are into the analog bass sounds. It's NOT a 303, but it does have a very nice character all it's own.
    Another positive... it's battery operated too and extremely portable.

Positives:
    - Small foot print and portable
    - Great filter
    - Nice analog bass sound
    - Midi Control
    - Cheap

Negatives:
    - Get what you pay for build quality-wise. Built well, but knobs can be a little wobbly. But, can't expect much for the price.
    - Not a big fan of the touch strip, although it is usable
    - Sequencer and memory storage is a little weird at first... but, take some getting used to.

I'd go try one out... because in the end, it's about your preference. Techy or acid style sounds... but, can also find a place in House and other genres.

But, for the money, it's a very nice piece of kit.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyRome View Post
    Picked up the Volca Bass. I haven't had much time with it, but it does sound really really nice. The internal sequencer takes some getting used to, but kind of intuitive once you get the hang of it. I was planning on sequencing it from an external source like Ableton or Logic. Love the filter... it can get pretty squelchy
    I'd say, for the price... it's well worth it if you are into the analog bass sounds. It's NOT a 303, but it does have a very nice character all it's own.
    Another positive... it's battery operated too and extremely portable.

Positives:
    - Small foot print and portable
    - Great filter
    - Nice analog bass sound
    - Midi Control
    - Cheap

Negatives:
    - Get what you pay for build quality-wise. Built well, but knobs can be a little wobbly. But, can't expect much for the price.
    - Not a big fan of the touch strip, although it is usable
    - Sequencer and memory storage is a little weird at first... but, take some getting used to.

I'd go try one out... because in the end, it's about your preference. Techy or acid style sounds... but, can also find a place in House and other genres.

But, for the money, it's a very nice piece of kit.
    This is exactly what I was looking for.. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Ash Carr View Post
    I use it to beef up my disco mixes mainly, but I've been messing about with using the Volca and the remix decks mapped to a Numark orbit to do some semi live production stuff.

I kinda wish I just waited and saved up for a Roland Aria TR 08 but for the meantime It's pretty pretty good.

Maybe I should do the same

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast