DJ Music Copyrights?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DJ Music Copyrights?

I know it's illegal to dj with any pirated music such as off piratebay or any other torrent sites, but how do you get in trouble for these sorts of things? I've never been strip search on my computer for pirated music at clubs so how do officials find out of this sort of thing? Not like I would have any pirated music or anything..
    Macbook Pro 2.4 ghz, Traktor Kontrol S4, Midi Fighter Classic
    Logic Pro 9, NI Razor, NI Massive, Synlynth 1
    http://soundcloud.com/theofficialsircronus
    http://www.facebook.com/sircronusofficial

Quote Originally Posted by Sircronus View Post
    I know it's illegal to dj with any pirated music such as off piratebay or any other torrent sites, but how do you get in trouble for these sorts of things? I've never been strip search on my computer for pirated music at clubs so how do officials find out of this sort of thing? Not like I would have any pirated music or anything..
    They don't and anyone who tells you otherwise is misinformed...

There is no police force that goes around shaking down DJs and seizing laptops and getting warrants from judges to search for pirated music. Honestly I've never heard of any cases in the U.S. (or anywhere really) of DJs getting sued for playing pirated music either. It's not like they could tell anyway or it would be a police manner to begin with.

You can get in trouble for downloading music if you are careless but if you do end up getting sued over piracy it won't have anything to do with DJing you will have just gotten caught torrenting or something.

I'm not pro DJing with pirated music or anything but this topic seems to come up every week and I get annoyed with a lot of the people on here (I'm talking in general on here, not directed at the OP) who are paranoid and don't understand how things actually work and why this would be absurd to be worried about because it won't happen for many reasons.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 04-12-2012 at 10:23 PM.

well i've heard a lot of people getting in trouble for djing with pirated music. i was just curious as to how? I just remembered it again by reading this post on the site: http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/03/2...out-copyright/
    Macbook Pro 2.4 ghz, Traktor Kontrol S4, Midi Fighter Classic
    Logic Pro 9, NI Razor, NI Massive, Synlynth 1
    http://soundcloud.com/theofficialsircronus
    http://www.facebook.com/sircronusofficial

Quote Originally Posted by Sircronus View Post
    well i've heard a lot of people getting in trouble for djing with pirated music. i was just curious as to how? I just remembered it again by reading this post on the site: http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/03/2...out-copyright/
    Who and in what country...? Certainly not the US and I would love to see a case showing me otherwise (if this has actually happened show me a case I would love to read it).

Also that blog post doesn't really say anything about getting caught playing pirated music out- just copyright stuff the venue has to hold.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 04-12-2012 at 11:20 PM.

Tech Mentor

Seriously? Show me someone that could listen to and tell the difference between an mp3 that was pirated and one that was purchased on itunes and I will sell you this bridge I have over in Brooklyn.....

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by dj matt blaze View Post
    Seriously? Show me someone that could listen to and tell the difference between an mp3 that was pirated and one that was purchased on itunes and I will sell you this bridge I have over in Brooklyn.....
    you'de be surprised how obvious some people make it. I was listening to some local resident DJ's sound cloud mixes the other day and one of the tracks was a super obvious radio rip of A-traks remix of 'The Night Out'
    then there's the guys that will play tons of crappy transcodes they get from piratebay.

Dont listen to xone i'll bet he's an informant... They have their spies everywhere these days as they have been loosing money due to illegal downloads. There is even a database with everyone who has ever downloaded from a share site that has their i.p. address and a download log. Why do you think facebook rules the online world? because it logs all the internet activity of anyone with a facebook profile... They tell you it's so you get more direct advertising but I know the truth! it's really so they can gather evidence for the entertainment industry to sue you into slavery by 2020. There is no way to hide, they know your friends your family hell if you have an smartphone they know where you live and how you get to work and they can pin point your location within 3 blocks anywhere in the world... just close enough for the dogs to sniff you out!...

The only way to stop them is to destroy the facebook servers before it's too late... Or just pay for your tunes...
    Last edited by synthet1c; 04-12-2012 at 11:55 PM.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

It does happen in the US, just not necessarily for pirated music. I haven't heard it happening recently but a few years ago in the San Francisco area police would break up after hours & house parties and confiscate sound equipment including laptops. There was some detective or wanna be chief of police that was trying to make a name for himself and made it very difficult for people to get their gear back. I haven't heard about it recently as I think it was made known that the guy leading the busts was overstepping his authority. I know there were some news articles or maybe news coverage about it.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

"Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

That has absolutely nothing to do with piracy. Police were busting underground or other parties for other reasons and confiscating gear- this is nothing new and has zero to do with pirated music.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast