What's the secret to infinite knobs or "continuous encoders"?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default What's the secret to infinite knobs or "continuous encoders"?

Hey all,
    Just got an Axiom 25 and I'm finding the infinite knobs to be very temperamental... I use them for EQ and effects mainly - but I find it very difficult to control them. Occasionally I will be turning them and there value will jump ahead drastically or back drastically. Am I missing something?

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by misterhops; 06-28-2012 at 09:41 AM.

Tech Wizard

they are not meant to be used as eq or fx parameters.

they act more like scroll knobs.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Did you map the EQ out to the same CC to update the position? sometimes this can cause erratic behavior.

Try changing the controller type when you are mapping them.

Quote Originally Posted by MeowMix View Post
    they are not meant to be used as eq or fx parameters.
    They can be used perfectly for these functions.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Did you map the EQ out to the same CC to update the position? sometimes this can cause erratic behavior.
    Possibly??.. Haha, sorry I'm a little new to all of this. Can you explain in a little more detail. I basically mapped three of the knobs to different EQs - High, Mid, Low.

I used encoders for things such as FX for 6 months or so, so I know about this issue. Unfortunately, there is a solution but it comes with a drawback. You can decrease the rotary sensitivity in the mapping, allowing one movement of the encoder to make a smaller adjustment to the FX or EQ; you can decrease this sensitivity to get the smoothness that you want. The drawback to this is that it takes a lot of time and turning to move from, say, normal to -infinite on your EQs or 50 to 100 on the FX. I tried doing this and found that smoothness is too much of a physical pain in the ass to do. As such, I found the sweet spot where I get a good amount of smoothness in the encoder but still maintain a reasonable about of turning to achieve it.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    2x Denon S3700
    2x Technics SL-1200 MKII
    Denon X1600 Professional Mixer
    Windows 7 64 Bit, Intel i7 Processor, 6 GB RAM

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Toastmaster View Post
    As such, I found the sweet spot where I get a good amount of smoothness in the encoder but still maintain a reasonable about of turning to achieve it.
    Yeah, I suppose it's all about finding that sweet spot, however long it may take. Oy. What sensitivity do you have your knobs at? Cause actually, I think my sensitivity is low. I turn it a little bit and it barely goes anywhere (this is mainly when the jumping forward in values happens, ie, from 60 to 98 or something).

Tech Convert

*Turn it a lot rather.

Hm. I may be thinking of acceleration. I'm at work right now but after, I'll check my settings and confirm what my knob settings are and what affects what.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    2x Denon S3700
    2x Technics SL-1200 MKII

Alright, so checked out my setting for my encoders and I have them at 100% sensitivity and 50% acceleration. From what I discovered (and what is actually obvious from the name), higher sensitivity = more unit change per "movement" of encoder (click) and vice versa; higher acceleration = faster increase in unit change per "movement" of the encoder, and vice versa.

As such, you can reduce your sensitivity to what you like and increase your acceleration to allow you to catch more of the FX or EQ units while you quickly move up or down - this makes it hard for you to make smooth, long changes over time though. You could reduce the sensitivity and acceleration but, as I said before, it takes a great amount of turns to move through the units. My setting seem pretty comparable to actually knobs, but it's truly personal preference. Hoped this helped.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    2x Denon S3700
    2x Technics SL-1200 MKII

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Leave the acceleration at 0 and play around with the sensitivity until you feel comfortable with it. If it is indeed an endless knob, set it as a knob, not an encoder.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast