MIDI mapping to specific knob or fader range
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default MIDI mapping to specific knob or fader range

Hi all,

It used to be possible to map certain things to a specific MIDI range. Is this still possible?

What I want to do is map a knob so that when it's in the 12 o'clock position I trigger a specific event. This used to be how we made some awesome multi effect knobs such as turning a single knobs turns FX unit 1 D/W from 0-100% and FX unit 2 D/W from 30-70% or something similar.

Here is specifically what I want to do... my mixer has a built in Filter knob but no way to toggle the filter on or off other than that it's off in the 12 o'clock position. Though, technically it's still on. So what I want is an LED that comes on when the mixers Filter knob is not in the 12 o'clock position. More specifically... I want that LED to be on if that deck isn't playing but the filter is on. I want it to be my beat phase blink when the filter is on and the deck is playing.

I can get the first part working but I don't know any way to make the beat phase part work. Anyone have any ideas?

From what I have discovered you can use modifier values on absolute knobs but you would need to use a button to set the position you want the knob to start on, then you can set the knobs interaction mode to relative and adjust the Rotary sensitivity to change the amount you would like to control a specific parameter eg.

Button:
    Add in -> FX Unit 1 -> Dry/Wet Adjust -> type('Button') -> interactionMode('Direct') -> setToValue(0.00);
    Add in -> FX Unit 2 -> Dry/Wet Adjust -> type('Button') -> interactionMode('Direct') -> setToValue(0.30);
    Add in -> FX Unit 1 -> Unit On -> type('Button') -> interactionMode('Toggle');
    Add in -> FX Unit 2 -> Unit On -> type('Button') -> interactionMode('Toggle');

Absolute Knob:
    Add in -> FX Unit 1 -> Dry/Wet Adjust -> type('Fader/Knob') -> interactionMode('Direct');
    Add in -> FX Unit 2 -> Dry/Wet Adjust -> type('Fader/Knob') -> interactionMode('Relative') ->
    rotarySensitivity(63%);

As for triggering events at different positions of the knob, I don't think it's possible... The same as making LED's blink to the beat or a set interval. I think when you see that on controllers it's built into the firmware, So I think you would need to use some middleware to handle those seemingly more complicated tasks. But in middleware I would be surprised if you can't send the midi-clock to the middleware to make a LED blink on beat. Something like Zestoi's program come's to mind as it has it's own internal scripting that you can use to do much more than traktor currently allows.
    Last edited by synthet1c; 11-10-2013 at 02:33 AM. Reason: shut yo face!!!
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    From what I have discovered you can use modifier values on absolute knobs but you would need to use a button to set the position you want the knob to start on, then you can set the knobs interaction mode to relative and adjust the Rotary sensitivity to change the amount you would like to control a specific parameter eg.

Button:
    Add in -> FX Unit 1 -> Dry/Wet Adjust -> type('Button') -> interactionMode('Direct') -> setToValue(0.00);
    Add in -> FX Unit 2 -> Dry/Wet Adjust -> type('Button') -> interactionMode('Direct') -> setToValue(0.30);
    Add in -> FX Unit 1 -> Unit On -> type('Button') -> interactionMode('Toggle');
    Add in -> FX Unit 2 -> Unit On -> type('Button') -> interactionMode('Toggle');

Absolute Knob:
    Add in -> FX Unit 1 -> Dry/Wet Adjust -> type('Fader/Knob') -> interactionMode('Direct');
    Add in -> FX Unit 2 -> Dry/Wet Adjust -> type('Fader/Knob') -> interactionMode('Relative') ->
    rotarySensitivity(63%);

I'm using a modifier trick instead of a direct button. Map a hold type modifier so the value becomes one when you move the knob off the 0. Then use those same button parameters, map them to knob and assign M=0 to preset those parameter like a boss

As for triggering events at different positions of the knob, I don't think it's possible... The same as making LED's blink to the beat or a set interval. I think when you see that on controllers it's built into the firmware, So I think you would need to use some middleware to handle those seemingly more complicated tasks. But in middleware I would be surprised if you can't send the midi-clock to the middleware to make a LED blink on beat. Something like Zestoi's program come's to mind as it has it's own internal scripting that you can use to do much more than traktor currently allows.
    This can be done by traktor, it's a pretty complex workaround though to explain in simple.

your going to have to explain it now, cause I want to know

No I can't... Takes about 50 commands and complex modifier setup to do this little thing. You can trust my words if you like :P

So do you make a modifier for each notch of the cc value? add the knob as a button, then depending on the modifier value do something different with the button part of it? does it take 50 commands to have a command fire in the middle of the knobs range?

well I figured out something cool that will set the modifier to one at the end of the range travel

knob:
    Add in -> Dry/wet -> type('Fader/knob') -> interactionMode('direct');
    Add in -> modifier #2 -> type('Fader/knob') -> interactionMode('Relative') -> sensitivity(5%);
    Add in -> button 2 -> type('Button') -> modifier(M2=0) -> interactionMode('direct') -> value(0);
    Add in -> button 2 -> type('Button') -> modifier(M2=1) -> interactionMode('direct') -> value(1);

echo freeze bitches!!! I cant get the knob to cycle through the 8 modifier values though. will have to play some more.

EDIT---------------

Spoke too soon, 24% seems to move fairly evenly and lands on M2=4 in the center
    Last edited by synthet1c; 11-10-2013 at 10:06 AM.

Been there. The relative mode ain't reliable assigning a modifier states along the fader length. I mean you should be able to originally set everything in place but once you re-import the .tsi it usually mess it all. Wish NI add some new paterns for this purpose.

Also, exact same sensitivity and settings won't work for every fader due the different resolutions.

fark native suck, why do they make things so difficult!

i figured how to have effect 1 turn on when moving off 0, and control the slider, then when above halfway turn on the second effect. it seems you can do what I was asking the other day, just need to find some decent combinations of effects. It sucks that you need to account for all eight values though.
    Last edited by synthet1c; 11-10-2013 at 10:59 AM.

I've used this mapping technique for my Isolator FX mapping. Using this as a base you can try to recreate more positions.

My old BCD had one of this superfaders

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast