DJs using sound engineers - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    The thread title is misleading.

DJs using 'sound engineers' - Richie Hawtin had used a sound engineer for years who makes sure all the levels and such are right and as loud as they can be without damaging his hears, etc.

A 'producer' using an engineer/paying someone else to make/master/engineer their beats.
    Sorry if this has already been said but I only read the op...
    I agree, that is why if you had carried on reading you would have seen myself explain what I actually meant. The thread therefore, is not misleading. As you pointed out.
    Macbook Pro 2.4GHz / Traktor 2.6.1 / Numark 4Trak / M-Audio BX8 D2 / M-Audio Axiom 25 Midi Keyboard / Ableton 8

Twitter @JordanBMZ
    https://soundcloud.com/bmz/

Fair point man. MY bad for not reading the whole thread
    Roland TB-3, Roland TR-505, Maschine MK1 2.0, Alesis VI25, Novation Impulse 25, Allen & Heath ZED 10, iMac 2.9 GHz i5 8GB RAM, MBP 15" 2.66GHz, Logic Pro 9, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 8, Ableton Live 9, KRK Rokit 8 G5's, Editor Keys Monitor Guards, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Audio 10, , Vestax PDX-d3s x2, Kontrol X1 x2, Lexicon Alpha USB Audio Interface,

Tech Guru

Sasha used to use Tom Frederikse a lot in the early-mid 90's for his tracks, it wasn't hidden away as such as Tom was very much credited. I suppose back then it was very expensive to get in to production as it was generally hardware based with maybe some form of software sequencer and to learn the ropes you probably need someone with all this kit. Now it's pretty much all in the box, so much more accessible and tbh with all the online tutuition, a bit of time spent, you can self learn so much now. But there is a big difference between knowing how to do something and having the musical ability to create a great track - that is the difficult bit
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

I'm almost certain Martin Buttrich writes and engineers A LOT of tracks for the likes of Loco Dice, tINI and other people related to the Desolat label. You just hear Buttrich's sound shining through in tracks of those people.

But most of the time, I think a sound engineer just makes sure everything regarding the volume is correct and that is something I encourage, because engineering tends to distract a lot from writing music since you're always busy dealing with making it sound correct. Ben sims by example has an audio engineer (Paul Mac) who deals with all of the levels and such.
    MacBook Pro 13 (Q1 2011) | Adam A5X | Akai APC20 | Alesis QX49 | Behringer BCR2000 | NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by JDFS View Post
    I'm almost certain Martin Buttrich writes and engineers A LOT of tracks for the likes of Loco Dice, tINI and other people related to the Desolat label. You just hear Buttrich's sound shining through in tracks of those people.

But most of the time, I think a sound engineer just makes sure everything regarding the volume is correct and that is something I encourage, because engineering tends to distract a lot from writing music since you're always busy dealing with making it sound correct. Ben sims by example has an audio engineer (Paul Mac) who deals with all of the levels and such.

I know a lot of people use Hauswerks. Especially at the minute. You can hear their sound everywhere.
    Macbook Pro 2.4GHz / Traktor 2.6.1 / Numark 4Trak / M-Audio BX8 D2 / M-Audio Axiom 25 Midi Keyboard / Ableton 8

Twitter @JordanBMZ

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    The thread title is misleading.

DJs using 'sound engineers' - Richie Hawtin had used a sound engineer for years who makes sure all the levels and such are right and as loud as they can be without damaging his hears, etc.

A 'producer' using an engineer/paying someone else to make/master/engineer their beats.
    Sorry if this has already been said but I only read the op...
    Benny Benassi doesnt make any of his tracks, but his name is on them. His brother wriites, produces and masters most of his music. Benny just gets the fame from playing it out.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by balakoth View Post
    Benny Benassi doesnt make any of his tracks, but his name is on them. His brother wriites, produces and masters most of his music. Benny just gets the fame from playing it out.
    Source?

Twitter @JordanBMZ

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by joemanton View Post
    Source?
    Sure ill hunt down something.. Its only been common knowledge for the last decade. Its how Teisto started out, and still uses a ghost producer simply because of his schedule demands.

Alot of the new 20 million dollar Djs do the same thing. Spor started alot of "Skrillexs" songs. In fact Skrillexes sound from his new album from the last has changed.. Because his laptop got lifted, and the patches he contracted another producer to create were lost.

shrug. Been happening in music since its inception

Pretty much a bunch of bullshit, the guys/gals who use "engineers". Its a fucking ghost writer pretty much. There are us guys who spend countless hours creating music from the ground up, and there are assclowns who (maybe) sit next to a real producer and just look pretty while the "Engineer" actually writes the track. This is bullshit and not ok. I know plenty of guys who do this, infact I have frends and colleagues who do this, but it is not ok!!

Quote Originally Posted by JDFS View Post
    fact!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast