Quick question on voltage 110-220 and using USB between the two

Default Quick question on voltage 110-220 and using USB between the two

I have a mixer going through a voltage transformer @110v and a laptop plugged into a 220v wall outlet. Can I connect the two via USB without blowing crap up?
    I could simply plug the mixer into the wall but since my monitors are 110v (US purchase) and not switchable w/o changing fuses I'd like to keep them as is until my 110v TypeB(?) laptop cable arrives in the mail. I'm worried that, despite USB being a standard, a grounding issue would fry my gear or at the very least trip the breaker. Not willing to gamble on the former. :eek:

Tech Wizard

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by alxb View Post
    Yes.
    Um, so this is my fault for asking something of a compound question. Would you clarify your answer a bit?

quite confused with the question here

im assuming where you live is 220v,
    you have a 110v mixer and speakers?

what are you connecting via usb?
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by space monkey View Post
    Um, so this is my fault for asking something of a compound question. Would you clarify your answer a bit?
    The power supplies on your laptop and mixer convert the respective AC voltages to usable DC voltage. Unless you have crappy power supplies or something else wrong with your gear, USB should be fine.

Right on, thanks for the explanation alxb.

Hoodless, UAE (Dubai) is a 220v country. My mixer is switchable 110-220 as well my laptop. My monitors, Rokit 6 plus sub are not switchable and are thus powered via 110v transformer. Monitors are connected to mixer via XLR and to keep everything consistent I've had my mixer plugged into the transformer as well.
    I don't have a 110v cable for my laptop just yet and was worried plugging my gear through various power sources would be an issue.

My mixer (DB4) was purchased in US but that is beside the point. My point was a concern linking various components operating at different voltages on a circuit would cause damage
    Last edited by space monkey; 01-18-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rgtb View Post
    FYP

FYP (note: 117V is the US standard although it's usually rounded to 120V)
    your laptop's psu is not switchable. it is a switching power suppy and automatically switches without interaction from you.

so can you answer why you run your mixer through a voltage transformer cause it doesn't make any sense?
    OK. Thanks.
    My mixer was purchased in the States and that's the cable it came with. But like I said I wanted to be on the safe side and keep all my components on a common voltage. It's obvious i'm not an electrician no?

Quote Originally Posted by alxb View Post
    The power supplies on your laptop and mixer convert the respective AC voltages to usable DC voltage. Unless you have crappy power supplies or something else wrong with your gear, USB should be fine.
    This ^
    Your home voltage is 220v AC, and running a step down transformer to 110v AC

USB is 5v DC, everything is done for you, cannot see why grounding would be an issue (unless you dont have an earth pin on your plugs) im not to sure on how the US electricity/plugs work. (im 3 pin UK)
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

The transformer only has two prongs (European) which fixed to an adapter to fit the wall outlet.