A DJs Lament
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A DJs Lament

Default A DJs Lament

Nearly all of the people who listen to your music can not, and will not, appreciate the fine details of your work. I understand that it isn't their job to understand what we, as DJs and producers, are doing, but it's frustrating to me at times.

People will skip through mixes aimlessly. People don't appreciate smooth mixing until it's noticeably bad. No one cares how much time you spent finding a way to transition out of a certain song. I guess they don't have to, because that's your job as a DJ.

As a producer, 99% of the people listening to my songs don't care how great of a synth setting I've created, or how much time I put into creating a varied amount of drum loops. No one cares. No one wants to hear about how much time I spent tediously changing EQ levels and and compression ratios so that it sounded just right. It's safe to say that I spend just as much time, if not more time, on these "technical" aspects of my work as I do on the "musical" aspects. People don't understand that without these boring, technical adjustments, the music they hear wouldn't sound half as good.

Does this drive anyone else as insane as it drives me!?

I suppose this applies to many, many fields of work, both creative and non-creative. For example, very few people can appreciate the time a painter devotes to choosing just the right color and using precise strokes. Lots of people will take a look at the painting for 3 seconds, go "meh," and walk away. Likewise, no one walks into a building and says "Man, look at this drywall work, and the insulation is phenomenal!"

That, ladies and gentlemen, is the end of my mindless rant. But that's what happens when you work the overnight shift five days in a row!
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

yeah i totally understand what you're getting at.
    I don't produce but I myself am guilty of listening to a track once or twice and giving it the thumbs up or thumbs down. There's just too much out there to give everything a thorough look. This applies to mixes aswell. I'm almost to the point that i never feel like mixing, because so many people i know mix aswell and constantly throw mix cds at me.

I envy any of you that havn't yet become so deep into a local scene (that may not even exist for your genre) that you are actually sick of your favourite genre.

let the discussion continue...
    < Progressive | Trance | Full On Psy | Liquid DnB >
    < Xone:1D:22:2D + Vestax PadOne >

I strongly agree with both your points.
    I sometime dis pare when i get a comment on youtube saying "this is shit!" from someone who has no actual content, I feel like screaming in their face "Stop Listening and Fuck Off to you cretin! what was the last creative thing you did? wipe your arse and smear it on the walls of your padded cell!" be a bit more constructive if your gonna criticize i say, If you really love music enough you learn to deconstruct the tune in your head picking out sections which catch your attention, synths drum's etc, alot of people don't make music for other people! they make it for themselves, If and when i Mix i mix for myself recording mixes to listen at work, bouncing around an empty kitchen baking bread, i only put my mixes up if i enjoy them, knowing the people who do tune in to my mixes will enjoy them too.
    Lambox I have downloaded your lam mix III of your soundcloud that will definatly get me moving in the morning, its just plain sick! keep up the good work and the rants.
    Here's Where I Put My Stuff Remix's/Mix's/and............. Genrally Madness

Sound Cloud :: http://soundcloud.com/herbstrike
    FaceBook :: http://www.facebook.com/pages/HerbSt...2547446?ref=ts

I think you are asking for too much, guys, you must do your job to ensure everything sounds great if you produce and mix well and do great transitions when djing ONLY FOR THE CROWD TO ENJOY THE MUSIC AND THE NIGHT, when someone goes out or listen to music just want to have a good time not to get into technical aspects or find out how it was done or what it took, unless is a fucking music freak like us that enjoys with all that techy shit. It's just simply not their business, it's only yours and you do it cause you love it, so don't complain. Your reward is that no one complains about your performance because everything runs smooth and professional, in my case, if they dance to the music I play I'm more than happy, all my efforts are well paid.
    Last edited by pepehouse; 05-30-2010 at 02:46 PM.
    "I was caught so many times getting oral sex in the booth it was disgusting. I would tell the girls, "Bet you can't make me miss a beat"" (Francis Grasso)

Home
    Mixcloud

Tech Guru

yeah... this is a very common problem. Think about it. You go to a pretty big bar, and there is some well known local band playing there. The sound is awesome! their songs are well written, and you can hear every vocal line cut through straight to you, layered over the tops of all their other lines. They have a tip jar up on stage, so you toss in 5 bucks after having a couple of drink, then go home.

None of the things you heard could have happened without the sound guy, who, depending on the night/who is playing/how experienced the band is at checking levels, may very well be fight ALL night to get their instruments right where they will sound best. No one tips him.

I guess I'm adding this to the discussion becaues I recently started running live sound with 2-3 live bands in my area, and Its been a great experience getting them in the sweet spot, and watching the crowd/people at the bar going from still to heads bobbin with just a couple minute adjustments of the eq and levels.

That being said, its still TOUGH as hell to get them in good.

Tech Mentor

I feel like in all creative fields, or actually in ALL fields, anyone who is not in that field will not appreciate how much work is put into it. Perhaps simply just because they don't know, or just don't care. They may still respect you, but not have a clue as to what you're doing.

Then again, imo its also not your job to care about if they appreciate it. As long as you do right? Thats kinda what art is.

Tech Guru

unless you're doing work that competes with the real movers and shakers in the industry, it's a very unrealistic expectation of people to show an interest in your creative process deeper than the surface.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    unless you're doing work that competes with the real movers and shakers in the industry, it's a very unrealistic expectation of people to show an interest in your creative process deeper than the surface.
    Yeah... I know... but I think of it kind of like I think of not being allowed into bars/clubs that are 21+. I completely understand where they are coming from, from a marketing perspective. I'm still gonna complain like a mofo though hahaha.

i disagree - if people see what i'm doing as a DJ, i consider myself a failure.

Wanting people to recognize your musical genius is what leads to BS wankers like dave matthews…and we all know what bro jazz does…it promotes bro rape.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast