A DJs Lament - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A DJs Lament

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    it promotes bro rape.
    Or bromance. Which ultimately leads to bro rape either way lol.

Woahhhh.... I think that the point I was making was misinterpreted by a few people.

Quote Originally Posted by pepehouse View Post
    I think you are asking for too much, guys, you must do your job to ensure everything sounds great if you produce and mix well and do great transitions when djing ONLY FOR THE CROWD TO ENJOY THE MUSIC AND THE NIGHT, when someone goes out or listen to music just want to have a good time not to get into technical aspects or find out how it was done or what it took, unless is a fucking music freak like us that enjoys with all that techy shit. It's just simply not their business, it's only yours and you do it cause you love it, so don't complain. Your reward is that no one complains about your performance because everything runs smooth and professional, in my case, if they dance to the music I play I'm more than happy, all my efforts are well paid.
    I don't think I'm asking for too much. Actually I'm not asking for anything at all. The only thing I'm saying is that, like many other things, much of what you do isn't appreciated because it isn't immediately obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    unless you're doing work that competes with the real movers and shakers in the industry, it's a very unrealistic expectation of people to show an interest in your creative process deeper than the surface.
    Again, I'm not saying that I want people to come up to me and ask about specific, technical details.

i disagree - if people see what i'm doing as a DJ, i consider myself a failure.

Wanting people to recognize your musical genius is what leads to BS wankers like dave matthews…and we all know what bro jazz does…it promotes bro rape.
    I don't want people to recognize me as a music genius, I'm just venting my frustration.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

no, no, no…that's not what i meant.

Believe me, I'd need more information than a couple posts on DJTT to actually believe you've achieved the level of douche-baggery that is DMB.

Maybe it's because I started out on Trance, but IMO the best DJs are the ones that can do what they do without you ever hearing how they do it.

no, no, no…that's not what i meant.

Believe me, I'd need more information than a couple posts on DJTT to actually believe you've achieved the level of douche-baggery that is DMB.

Maybe it's because I started out on Trance, but IMO the best DJs are the ones that can do what they do without you ever hearing how they do it.
    Haha I hear you.

And I agree, you don't want people to be able to tell how you do what you do.

I suppose, in a strange way, I wish that people would understand that the less they can tell about what you are doing, the better you are at it... if that makes any sense?
    LamboxMusic.com

Tech Guru

i dunno... just seems like an odd thing to be a martyr about.
    it's not rocket science, it's not charity work in a 3rd world country, it's not research for the cure for cancer... it's the entertainment business.
    people will do this type of work their whole lives, many will never pay the bills with it - yet they still do it because the process is fun for them.

enjoy the process, it's yours to enjoy - be grateful that there is also communities like DJTT where you can share your thoughts about the process with other like minds. the desire for recognition from peers is natural, but it isn't necessary and all it does is feed the ego-monster.

Someone once asked a famous painter how long it took to complete a painting. His response was "25 years." It is not just the amount of time it takes to actually build a piece, it is also the years of work needed to attain the necessary skills and tools.
    Von Doom! aka Victorious
    www.isvictorious.com
    Gear list goes here - "It's the carpenter, not the tools"

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    i dunno... just seems like an odd thing to be a martyr about.
    it's not rocket science, it's not charity work in a 3rd world country, it's not research for the cure for cancer... it's the entertainment business.
    people will do this type of work their whole lives, many will never pay the bills with it - yet they still do it because the process is fun for them.

enjoy the process, it's yours to enjoy - be grateful that there is also communities like DJTT where you can share your thoughts about the process with other like minds. the desire for recognition from peers is natural, but it isn't necessary and all it does is feed the ego-monster.
    Again, I think you are missing my point.

All I'm really trying to say, I guess, is this: Not only specifically to DJs, not to producers, musicians, artists, not to anyone specific. But that, in general, those people who are not familiar with what you do, can not appreciate the effort that goes into it. For example, some people are huge into restoring old cars. Some guy might spend ten years restoring a car that he's wanted his whole life. When he's finally ready to show it off and I see him drive down the street, I say "hey, wow look at that car" and move on with my life, and the event may never even make it into my long-term memory.

(On a side note, a lot of people pay more attention to the entertainment business than they do 3rd world countries, medical advances... ever have the misfortune of seeing TMZ? I don't agree with it, I'm just saying)
    LamboxMusic.com

I think it's all about levels of appreciation with this, I think its a bit general to say that you have everyone else that isn't into something in the same way you are as being frustrating as they don't realise the skill going into it?!
    Some people after hearing what you do may start to become genuinely interested in the process, for example, I had a mate who was totally into Metal and guitar bands and although he liked to think of himself as "eclectic" with music, every time i would put on some new EDM that I liked he would turn his nose up a bit and change it after that. Even after explaining why i liked the track he still wouldn't be that receptive. It came to his birthday where we all went out and the only good clubs where I live are EDM so after a bit of convincing we got him to go to a night with a good techno DJ playing. After a few drinks he got dancing and didn't stop until the club shut at 4am(no drugs involved) and upon asking him at the end if he enjoyed himself he said it was all about how good the DJ was a putting stuff together. I have since chucked a couple of my favourite mix cd's his way and he is now a convert and comes round to mix on my VCI all the time.
    You may not always get through to everyone in the same way but if one person does hear me mix and likes something that I do then I feel happy that maybe the next time they're out they may take more of an interest.
    I think my point is that most people move on after hearing it as they genuinely don't understand, just like i don't understand what technique goes into a Gordon Ramsey bit of cooking but I know it would taste good and I still understand that time/ skill went into it, if he sat there and showed me what he did then I would be glad of it and maybe want to have a go myself?
    Last edited by Fyoog; 05-31-2010 at 03:40 PM.
    MBP, 15.4", Ableton Live 8 Suite, Novation Remote SL, Pioneer XDJ-RX, Traktor, VCI 100SE!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12