BeatGrid Issues w Tracktor Pro - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

I'm having problems with drum n bass and trance, where I beatgrid the intro perfectly but after the pre-chorus build-up the beatgrid is wrong and I can't change it because then the intro will be wrong... does anyone understand what I mean? the bpm is the same, but after the build-up it's like it has moved.

EDIT: The tempo is actually different after the build up? surely this shouldn't be? they are trance songs so I have no idea why this is the case
    Last edited by DJWilliams; 10-16-2010 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJWilliams View Post
    I'm having problems with drum n bass and trance, where I beatgrid the intro perfectly but after the pre-chorus build-up the beatgrid is wrong and I can't change it because then the intro will be wrong... does anyone understand what I mean? the bpm is the same, but after the build-up it's like it has moved.

EDIT: The tempo is actually different after the build up? surely this shouldn't be? they are trance songs so I have no idea why this is the case
    I can't account for your music but Traktor isn't changing the tempo! I suggest you grid them to the post drop section since the drop is what you'll want to be timed perfectly to the previous tune. You may actually find that the intro section ends up in time unless it really is a different tempo.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Mentor

Okay, thanks, I'm still having a very hard time beatgridding tracks where I can't find a solid 'beat', and traktor's beatgrids are all over the place

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Drop another grid on the first beat after the breakdown. Another trick for finding the beat is to slow the track all the way down. You might be able to hear it better that way and it won't affect where the actual beat is. One more that helps me sometimes is to right click on the move button in Traktor until you can definitely hear the grid is off them move it back in from there.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

Hmm, it seems most of traktor's beatgrids are actually correct as if I put a loop in the track it sounds 'fine'.
    Is that how you judge if the beatgrid is correct? If I do a 4bar loop and it sounds good?

no, you move forward through the song and see if the beatgrid drifts off of the beat.

edit: i mean, if a 4bar loop is all youre going for in a track and its working, then its as correct as you need it. if you want to be able to skip through the song without fear of drift, then more work is needed
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by completej View Post
    no, you move forward through the song and see if the beatgrid drifts off of the beat.

edit: i mean, if a 4bar loop is all youre going for in a track and its working, then its as correct as you need it. if you want to be able to skip through the song without fear of drift, then more work is needed
    Sometimes the beatgrid isn't on the beat but a loop still works (could be going off a synth sound or something instead).
    Most electronic music is okay and traktor analyses it as a whole number e.g. 138bpm but others are like 138.063, is this still right?

all circumstantial

if the loop works, use it. if it doesnt, or you find yourself drifting, there are loads of tutorials on this site and on youtube via ean golden that show you how to use the options in traktor to

1) properly set the bpm
    2) set the right beat grid
    3) adjust the grid manually by small increments to perfect it

if youre not using cue points, then gridding isnt even required - just beatmatch and let it ride, and youll be all good.
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

here's yet another beatgrid tutorial with youtube video. http://www.turntablepoetry.com/blog/?p=80 I also did one for drum n bass that you can find under the same youtube account (iTubeYou). See if those ideas help any; it doesn't sound to me like you're getting an accurate bpm for the whole song yet. But if you are and there is a breakdown and the song doesn't start up again on beat, try a second gridmarker at the new "1" in the beat and see if that works.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    here's yet another beatgrid tutorial with youtube video. http://www.turntablepoetry.com/blog/?p=80
    After watching three or four different ones that's the one that it all came together on for me.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast