Modular Punk- this guy literally stole/released 15+ top tracks from another producer - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Although this guy is tottttaaaaalllyyy a douche bag. Beatport and these other places needs to scan these tracks for overlap. Kinda like soundcloud does when you put up something that may infringe. That way it would help prevent this. I mean it can eventually make people feel unsafe having their tracks available on these site if they just allow plagiarism just because they are making money. Artist protection by these distributors should definitely be on the top of their list....

What the fuck. This guy supposedly has a law degree focused on intellectual property; he knows (1) that it's recognized by law as stealing, (2) that he was obviously going to get caught, and (3) making false claims in copyright registration is a criminal act in the US, not just a civil crime -- he could actually do time for this. He also knows that it's harder to go after someone who has registered copyright claims on something (even if falsely), but it makes little sense to do something like this that is so easy to prove and catch. You'd think with a J.D. he would know this shit but maybe he plagiarized his way through law school too.

I also don't think this should make legitimate artists more afraid to share their tunes on soundcloud or wherever. This is easy to catch and it's easy to prove who was wrong, and though it's a pain in the ass to pursue the case, it's worth risking the tiny chance that some jackass will do this to you vs. not releasing your tracks and ensuring that nobody hears your music.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

"Modular Punk has redefined the expectations of a DJ / Producer, driving fans absolutely crazy with his aggressive proclivity for dancing and clapping his hands in between every tweak of a pan-pot, drop of a bass-line, and drag of a cigarette."

this made me lol

and @ guilty.. if u read the article youll find that soundcloud didnt exactly come to the rescue of the original artist. quite the opposite.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Quote Originally Posted by Deejaesnafu View Post
    "Modular Punk has redefined the expectations of a DJ / Producer, driving fans absolutely crazy with his aggressive proclivity for dancing and clapping his hands in between every tweak of a pan-pot, drop of a bass-line, and drag of a cigarette."

this made me lol

and @ guilty.. if u read the article youll find that soundcloud didnt exactly come to the rescue of the original artist. quite the opposite.
    No i certainly did. I wasn't really refering to soundclouds action as much as there code which scans a track and compares it to whats in its database. If you put up a track that is licensed or something it will tell you it can't put it up cause the owner won't allow it.

I'm just saying beatport, and other distributors should implement this to prevent this, and that soundcloud should improve theres.

The only issue I can see is remixes or mash-ups. A little protection from this for artist would be nice.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I was on the Modular Punk Promo List ... its one hell of a major shit storm and I hope the original artist gets his Dues from all this when its settled.

On the part of Soundcloud (or any other company for that matter) I can completely understand their unwillingness to get involved in any way between the two parties. Much better for them to pull both parties accounts and be completely barricaded against any allegations of hosting copyright music by either of them until the outcome is settled in a court.

Sounds like a cocky git though if he thought he'd get away with it.

If you put up a track that is licensed or something it will tell you it can't put it up cause the owner won't allow it.

I'm just saying beatport, and other distributors should implement this to prevent this, and that soundcloud should improve theres.
    Its not that hard to edit a file enough that the software would not pick it up as the same track.

Tech Guru

More like Modular Cunt.

yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Well I don't think anyone assumed the stuff he was releasing wasn't his.
    But that's kinda whats bugging me. I mean he approves of this guy but doesn't bother to look into him far enough to catch this. I mean yeah it wasn't an easy thing to spot but c'mon Richie, people value your opinion. Keep a look out.

BTW this is just me speakin here. I'm a Plastikman fanboy so i'm more inclined to be irrational on this subject

And too boot Soundcloud received a report on Alex Di Stefano on copyrights

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    What the fuck. This guy supposedly has a law degree focused on intellectual property; he knows (1) that it's recognized by law as stealing, (2) that he was obviously going to get caught, and (3) making false claims in copyright registration is a criminal act in the US, not just a civil crime -- he could actually do time for this. He also knows that it's harder to go after someone who has registered copyright claims on something (even if falsely), but it makes little sense to do something like this that is so easy to prove and catch. You'd think with a J.D. he would know this shit but maybe he plagiarized his way through law school too.
    That's lawyers for you...
    iŽll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast