HP Slate VS Apple Ipad
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default HP Slate VS Apple Ipad

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/sla...let,10085.html

This looks promising for djs You wont need to also bring along your laptop to your gigs along with your ipad. You can also use aps strait out of the box and not have to wait for someone to make a program that lets you interface your djing program with the software (which is usually very half baked).

Looks like the slate gives you a bit more bang for your buck as far as djing is concerned.

I definitely agree on the bang for buck. I'm an apple nerd and just WANT the iPad, I'd totally mod the Slate though just as much and run full blown snow leopard on it.. yesssss. POSSIBILITIES
    When we all make music, the God Spirit travels out of our bodies and we become one with each other. And for just a second, there is no war, greed, or hate in the world, just music, the celebration of life. (and usually a party, which is good too!)

Now all we need a Bluetooth Midi Controller and Bluetooth soundcard and we would be styling! LOL

Is the Bluetooth 2.1 protocol even up to something like sound (I said it as a joke above, but who knows).

Phil.

Edit: Answered my own question (thank you Wikipedia), BT 2.0 + EDR gets over 2Mbits/sec, so 96kbits/sec should be no problem. Now what about USBto BT?
    Last edited by pilmat; 04-06-2010 at 11:09 AM.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

Im not too sure about the Slate being that powerful... It's CPU it's a 1.6GHz Atom which is the same thing found on most netbooks. Even Traktor Pro needs at least a Pentium IV or Athlon 1.4 GHz, 1 GB RAM and the Slate barely makes it to it's minimum specs. You would need to really configure the thing for maximum performance turning off all other functions to make it reliable on a gig. Oh, and forget about programs such as Ableton or ProTools.

The Slate promo videos shows this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeDalRBjyJo

But you know most promo videos lie about the actual product performance as it's shown here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJpEuMidcSU

The Ipad CPU is the Apple's own A4 which is the same stuff found on the Iphone 3GS. There may be an app to do do some live mixing even some JazzMutant Lemur lookalike but a full fledged DJ app like Traktor... I doubt it.

That said you know how Apple likes to upgrade their un-upgradeable electronics within a year just like the Iphone went in 3 years from 1st gen to 3GS. No doubt it's a sexy piece of hardware to show off at some Starbucks but for now the good ol' MacBook will do just fine for DJ'ing. I would wait until a proper Mac tablet with OSX is available if ever and get my investment back from the MacBook.
    Erase. Stop. Start.

The hp slate very interesting. I do like the 1.6 ghz processor, but 1 gig of ram? I know they maybe in I future version they will upgrade it. For the slate it really comes down ton multi touch gestures. Either it's dead on or it really sucks, but we have to wait and see.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Traktor uses sooooooo very little CPU, i wouldn't be suprised if it ran on a 1.6ghz atom processor.

I certainly do agree though it wouldnt hack it for Ableton sets where your going crazy with fx and or synths.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 04-06-2010 at 03:48 PM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Traktor uses sooooooo very little CPU, i wouldn't be suprised if it ran on a 1.6ghz atom processor.
    there's already a couple of people running it on their netbooks...
    Stanton SCS3 System

Quote Originally Posted by chrismp View Post
    there's already a couple of people running it on their netbooks...
    there's a whole thread of them somewhere, but cpu/ram aside, it would still need some tuning as it's win7, also wouldn't be shocked if the touch interface caused some lag issues tbh...

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

I think the biggest question is how they hold up in terms of DPC latency, but we wont know the answer to that question until someone buys one and tries to use it for audio purposes.

meh @ dpc latency, i get a spike every 45 seconds and everything runs smooth as. didn't even know it has that spike until a few months after calming windows down to cure a few lag/stutter issues.

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast