Abelton Set up
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Abelton Set up

Tech Mentor

Default Abelton Set up

Call me a newb, stupid... but I would really appreciate help. I am taking into consideration goin from my mixer, A4DJ, and TSP2 to Abelton live. I am really confused if i got the Akai APC 40 and abelton ofcourse what would I need for this set. A mixer, audio card...? and Can you listen in the cue with abelton of what u wanna play like in traktor?? Thank you so much my budget would be 1100....

all you need really is ableton and a audio interface (if u want to play out)
    yes you can cue tracks in live

and if you want to mixer external then all you do is route the outputs from live in to your mixer

Tech Mentor

Thanks
    4 Quick Q's:
    1. What is your prefered a audio interface.
    2. How do u cue? (if possible to explain)
    3. I don't understand the last part Do u mean if one wants to mix other sources to get a mixer.
    4. What type of output is on your prefered a audio interface? (rca mono xlr?)

Tech Guru

You can use a virtual routing program to route audio directly from Traktor into Ableton. Cueing can be set up a number of ways, but how I do it is to send each deck to it's own channel in Ableton, set up ableton to send its cueing channel to the headphone out on my audio card, and just turn the individual cue monitors on an off in Ableton to cue. So this system (there are variations on how it can be done) goes like this for a two deck setup:

Traktor (external mode, 2 stereo channels out)>Virtual audio routing program>Ableton (1 stereo and 1 stereo cue out)>Mixer

You can also route individual channels from the soundcard to the mixer, and cue those channels directly from the mixer if you prefer. The bottom line is that many configurations are possible, and yes, Ableton +Traktor can handle most of them.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

I really would recommend downloading the 30 day trial and testing it out before you commit. Ableton is a very powerful and complex audio editing/performance tool and for DJing it is no where near as newbie friendly as traktor or VDJ. There's also a hell of a lot more preparation to be done before you can perform with it. It may not be for you.

Try it out first just with your audio interface and your mouse (that's more than enough to be honest if you have planned your set well...)

The type of output doesn't matter. You already have a sound card, use that one.
    You cue by pressing the little cue button on the channel. Same as in every other program.

May I ask why you want to use ableton? You don't seem to know much about it. It may not be what you think it to be.
    Last edited by MrPopinjay; 05-24-2011 at 04:50 PM.

If your interested I'm selling my APC40 with a license to a really good DJing setup that is designed around the APC40.
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...pc40+launchpad

Ableton is great, I'm just using an iPad and BCR2000 now.
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    May I ask why you want to use ableton? You don't seem to know much about it. It may not be what you think it to be.
    +1. I was trying to think of a way to say that politely.

OP, Ableton is one of the most complex programs out there. With the questions you're asking…I don't mean to be an ass saying this…it really seems like you're going to spend money on it, scratch your head for an hour, and give up. Watch some videos and read the manual, otherwise you'll be back here every 30 seconds with another question.

That's not an insult…it's just the way things are. Ableton's tutorials are good, but you kinda have to have a clue what you're doing before you can use it. It doesn't hold your hand nearly as much as DJ software like Traktor or VDJ.

30 day trial!

http://www.ableton.com/downloads

Come on you know that's awesome. More than enough time to play about with it and get to grips with it. You can use your sound card with it and if after you decide it's not for you you have lost nothing at all!

I second what people are saying here about Ableton. I've owned it for ... well roughly a year now. I enjoy the DAW production aspect of it and understand that just fine, but I'm only finally getting the hang of playing with it as a mixing device and understanding how I want my workflow to work with Ableton.

If you want to produce and mix your beats in on top of other things, Ableton is the ticket imo. But it's a long, long road toward understanding everything fully.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

1. What is your prefered a audio interface.

Your Audio 4 is fine for this - or Audio 2.

The world is really your Oyster when it comes to soundcards and you'll get 100 opinions from everyone. I'm using a Numark I/O and it works a charm if a lil lacking in headphone volume. Most peeps on here people swear by the NI cards and i'll prolly pick one up too, they are reasonable enough for what you get.

M-audio fastrack pro is another to look for .. I used to have one and really regret selling it .

2. How do u cue? (if possible to explain)

There's a Cue button on each channel in Ableton (and APC40) Beside the headphone volume in Ableton there is a button that sets the function between Solo (mute all other channels) or Cue function like in Traktor.

If you want to set a master / cue split (for headphone only mixing) its a lil more complex but you can do it with a rack.

3. I don't understand the last part Do u mean if one wants to mix other sources to get a mixer.

You could also run CDJ's or turntables / ipod if you needed to run another source...also IF you have lets say a 4 stereo out Soundcard you could mix your 4 channels on a hardware mixer rather than just on screen i think was the point

4. What type of output is on your prefered a audio interface? (rca mono xlr?).
    XLR Jack or RCA .. once you can at least route the output to a house mixer (most have RCA's on hand).. you can always convert jack/rca jack/xlr xlr/rca anyhow.

What soundcard are you using with Traktor .. once its got 2xstereo outs it should be fine?

And I second what other PPL are saying here .. its a VERY different beast to playing in Traktor - although once you get your head around things the possibilites are endless. For plain 2 or 4 deck mixing there's not much point in using it. If you want to get into re-sampling / chopping / remixing on the fly its the dogs nuts though.

Re-reading your post .. your moving from traktor to ableton or looking to route traktor into ableton

Sry
    Last edited by deevey; 05-24-2011 at 05:15 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast