What if we could stream music directly from Beatport? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by quartzlocked View Post
    Check this out: http://mix.until.am/
    This is a really interesting idea. The SoundCloud ties of Mix Until AM is exactly what I'm talking about. Imagine if we could collaborate on beat grids that way.
    Check out my pages on SoundCloud and MixCloud

Gear: rMBP15" + Traktor Kontrol S4 + S4 Flight Case + Traktor Pro + iPad with Traktor DJ + Tonium Pacemaker

- You couldn't 'stream' the song. You wouldn't be able to jump cue-points etc. You'd have to download it all. And if you're downloading the entire song in HQ then you've effectively bought it anyway. If you're downloading the entire song in HQ to your laptop bypassing DRM would be a cinch.

- At present, you'd certainly have licensing issues DJing streaming audio

- I wouldn't rely on an internet connection to perform a gig. Hell, my internet connection at home went down tonight during the football. Hence my set would already be prepared, so I wouldn't need a streaming service. I have bought tunes from iTunes and Beatport before at gigs on the odd occassion (quite often unsuccessfully, playing basements in bars with dodgy wifi and all), but this is only responding to very specific requests and the odd oversight.

- From an artists point of view, I like to support artists by purchasing music I like from them. Streaming sites make no money for people outside of the top40:
    http://www.informationisbeautiful.ne...s-earn-online/
    ...artists earn on average $0.60 from a mp3 sale. And $0.00029 from a spotify play.

- Finally, I think it is very, very important for a DJ to be able to say 'I'm sorry, I don't have that track'. I want access to my catalogue, not Beatport's.

All that said, I'm sure something like this will end up being widely available. And you'll still have DJ's who make strong choices according to their tastes, as well as those who'll be forced into becoming meat jukeboxes.
    Last edited by lethal_pizzle; 02-06-2012 at 06:12 PM.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Wizard

Pulselocker does this. Stream 4M dj-oriented tracks, download songs into a Locker on your computer and dj them - offline - on traktor/serato. Play and exchange tracks out of your locker as much as you want for the life of your subscription. They're launching a web version in the next couple of weeks and will offer PC support.

Quote Originally Posted by fredfunk View Post
    Pulselocker does this. Stream 4M dj-oriented tracks, download songs into a Locker on your computer and dj them - offline - on traktor/serato. Play and exchange tracks out of your locker as much as you want for the life of your subscription. They're launching a web version in the next couple of weeks and will offer PC support.
    This is exactly what I was talking about.
    Also, there's an iPad app that is the first to stream music from Spotify directly. It's pretty awesome.

I think, clearly, this is the future of DJ:ing. The worst part of this hobby is finding and managing song and I would be very happy to see it go.

Gear: rMBP15" + Traktor Kontrol S4 + S4 Flight Case + Traktor Pro + iPad with Traktor DJ + Tonium Pacemaker

And now we have Djay Pro that does exactly this, albeit with Spotify instead of Beatport. I'm really eager to give it a go.

http://www.algoriddim.com/djay-mac

haha well it appears as if you were a few years early!

Beatport is getting ready to become a streaming service! maybe not working with dj platforms right away, but im sure it is coming soon!

Yeah, if it is going to happen, then it's not now. For all the reasons mentioned, there are more downsides than positives.
    Xone92/X1 MKII X 2/F1/Macbook Pro 13/Technics SL1210 MK2's
    https://soundcloud.com/timbo21-1/tracks

Radio Show Every Friday & Saturday Night 22.00-00.00 BST
    http://www.jazzlondonradio.com/timbo...-london-radio/

So, in real life I'm a computer dork.

I kind of hate the cloud.

I don't really see it bringing anything except trading a lot of problems that are expensive to solve for a host of problems that people don't know how to solve.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lundmark View Post
    And now we have Djay Pro that does exactly this, albeit with Spotify instead of Beatport. I'm really eager to give it a go.

http://www.algoriddim.com/djay-mac

This subject has been discussed on the NI forum and what people seem unwilling or just unable to understand is that streaming services such as Spotify cannot be used for commercial purposes.

The Spotify T&C's are different in some regions but in UK and think US it is a breach of the Spotify T&C's to use it in bars, clubs etc. I know this is not the same in some countries like Sweden.

That app by Algoriddim cannot be used in a commercial way and that means by DJ's earning money with it.

This is where they are heading for sure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast