How many of you digital DJs never learned to use CDJs or TTs and can't beatmatch? - Page 11

View Poll Results: Did you learn to beatmatch on CDJs and or TTs and could you DJ a set with them alone?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have limited to no experience with beatmatching on CDJs/TTs

57 39.04%
  • I am comfortable DJing and beatmatching with CDJs/TTs alone

89 60.96%
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

lol @ joe we know this OG house guy who used to get soooo drunk, we'd either have to finish his set for him (he was getting paid $400 plus tab btw) orrrrr he'd do crazy shit like get his *whistle* out and use it to mix with lol.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    lol @ joe we know this OG house guy who used to get soooo drunk, we'd either have to finish his set for him (he was getting paid $400 plus tab btw) orrrrr he'd do crazy shit like get his *whistle* out and use it to mix with lol.
    can someone fill me in on this banter? lol

Iv heard all Vinyl DJs love getting the pink eyed womb ferret out mid set...

Im only jokin, one of my mates loves his 1210 mk5gs I wish a could justify buying some, they look quality.
    MBPro - UC-33e - Audio 10 - TSP2 - Xone 22 - 1210's - Mackie MR5's

Quote Originally Posted by belchman View Post
    Lolz

Or perhaps is learning.. and facilitating the process by buying out Pioneer.

Or more likely, has only recently learnt (since he completed the setup with a pair of Tech12s..) and is so happy that he's finally managed to join the 'beatmatching elite' (in his opinion) that he would like to tell everyone through the medium of a xonetacularly elitist poll.
    I completely agree with all the posts of this nature, and I'm waiting for Xonetesticular to post of video or some form of proof that he has the the skills to back his mouth, of which I highly doubt. I find it amazing that one poster(Xone) can disrupt the positivity in a forum by so much, that it leads to multiple banter and argument based threads that will lead to nowhere, when they basically didn't exist prior to his presence on this forums.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

Quote Originally Posted by DJPhaidon View Post
    I completely agree with all the posts of this nature, and I'm waiting for Xonetesticular to post of video or some form of proof that he has the the skills to back his mouth, of which I highly doubt. I find it amazing that one poster(Xone) can disrupt the positivity in a forum by so much, that it leads to multiple banter and argument based threads that will lead to nowhere, when they basically didn't exist prior to his presence on this forums.
    agreed man totally!

I would love to see his awesome set up in action.
    MBPro - UC-33e - Audio 10 - TSP2 - Xone 22 - 1210's - Mackie MR5's

Quote Originally Posted by Jo3 View Post
    I would love to see his awesome set up in action.
    too right! I also want to hear a mix of this 4 deck action he keeps cracking on about. The gear flaunting gets on my tits..

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by belchman View Post
    too right! I also want to hear a mix of this 4 deck action he keeps cracking on about. The gear flaunting gets on my tits..
    I love beiing inspired!

So I guess thats +4
    Macbook Pro 15 Retina _-_ 2x Technics 1210MK2 _-_ Traktor Scratch pro 2.6.1 _-_ Traktor Z2 Mixer _-_ 2x Traktor Kontrol X1 _-_ VCI-100 FW 1.3 _-_

Tech Guru

Wow. There are so many things I'd like to reply to in this thread, but I'll try and stick to just a few.

Been djing for 13 years, all MIDI for 2. Before that it was vinyl, and yeah, I have used/can beatmatch w/cdjs, but I've never owned any. I agree with those posting that Bmatching is a great skill to know, one that will only enhance your versatility and musicality. I also agree with those using the "sticks and stones to start fire" analogy. It really doesn't matter if you can beatmatch manually or not. Or if you've used TTs/cdjs before or not. Everyone starts learning something by embracing what makes sense to them.

I betcha I can freak ya vinyl lovers by telling you that I still have a pair of Vestax PDT-5000 direct drives (yes, the ones with the frickin VU meters), which I love, and which now gather massive amounts of dust.

My tsi's are set up so that tracks are synced on load, but this is arbitrary, since I nudge them around all the time. I'm pretty hardcore about doing my grids (though I've been working on thousands of tracks for years, lol!) so this works out pretty good. Of course there's plenty of stuff to mix that ain't gridded, and in that case I just do it by ear. I love the feeling and focus of beatmatching by ear, but with a VCI-100 honestly I just find it to be a hassle. Totally different thing on a couple of good TTs/cdjs.

Just do what feels good. Go from MIDI to Tech12s if that makes you happy. Do the opposite if you feel like you're missing something. In a couple more years hopefully no one will care.

Can you rock a crowd?
    Are you fun to listen to?
    Can you make a decent transition between yourself and the dj before you?
    Do you appreciate the history of your craft?

These are some of the things that ACTUALLY matter.

I am not one to jump the gun on badmouthing people, and try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. This may not have been the optimal thread to call Xone out on, but I think it points to a larger issue.

Xonetacular: *For Your Consideration*, if you are reading this, try and recognize a relationship, and don't get hung up on this particular thread. Myself and others on this forum have become aware of a pattern to your postings. Namely a repetitive level of negativity, combativeness, and many times, interactions that are obviously ego driven. It's important that some people feel there is a certain element on this forum that wasn't here prior to your arrival. Please try not to be angry. Just accept and be aware that this is what people are beginning to expect of you, and that it's definitely turning them off. Thing is though, this is a great group of folks overall, and I think a change in attitude would be well received.

Unfortunately ego stuff can, has been, and will be a big part of dj culture, but that doesn't mean all djs play that game, or have any interest in it at all. Personally, I was never into it, prefer collaboration, good vibes, smiles, mentoring, and shit like that. The way the DJTT community does that is a good sign, me thinks!
    Last edited by Zac Kyoti; 01-04-2010 at 08:42 PM.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Kyoti View Post

Xonetacular: *For Your Consideration*, if you are reading this, try and recognize a relationship, and don't get hung up on this particular thread. Myself and others on this forum have become aware of a pattern to your postings. Namely a repetitive level of negativity, combativeness, and many times, interactions that are obviously ego driven. It's important that some people feel there is a certain element on this forum that wasn't here prior to your arrival. Please try not to be angry. Just accept and be aware that this is what people are beginning to expect of you, and that it's definitely turning them off. Thing is though, this is a great group of folks overall, and I think a change in attitude would be well received.

Unfortunately ego stuff can, has been, and will be a big part of dj culture, but that doesn't mean all djs play that game, or have any interest in it at all. Personally, I was never into it, prefer collaboration, good vibes, smiles, mentoring, and shit like that. The way the DJTT community does that is a good sign, me thinks!
    Cheers on the straight talk.

All that being said, lets get this poll back on track eh guys
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast