First Club Gig!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Club Gig!

Default First Club Gig!

Alright so i've been playing at a local Hookah Lounge for about 2 1/2 months now, ive played at a few dozen house parties but i caught my first break and i have a show coming up this weekend at a pretty large club. I'll be spinning 100% dubstep, all fresh n' heavy.

Any tips you guys have for me? I know most of you have been doing this for a long time and any help will be taken very warmly, thanks a bunch!

-AVEN3W

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I knew there's a few threads that talk about first gigs, but I couldn't easily find them either so I worked some google magic.

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=219497

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23498

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19910
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I knew there's a few threads that talk about first gigs, but I couldn't easily find them either so I worked some google magic.

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=219497

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23498

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19910
    Thanks for the links man, although the first one is for an 18th birthday house party, the second is a small bar, didnt really figure out what the third thread was about.

i was really looking for some tips pertaining to a larger scale club environment.
    anything equipment i should keep handy with me, maybe some problems other people have run into setting up their gear. I'll be brining along my controller and laptop and was told there would be room for my stuff, but im not sure how the flow goes in between sets.

i guess i'll figure it out though lol, learn from your mistakes type deal

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Yeah, I guess those aren't the best threads for your situation. I know there's threads on here and a couple of blog posts about first night stuff if you look around.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Convert

best bet is to try and scope out the dj booth early. i always bring a set of RCA to XLR cables, 2 extra 3ft RCAs and a surge protector. Sometimes they come in handy othertimes they take up space. i also take 2 volume control knobs just incase they are missing from the house mixer...lol. I've been made fun of for that, but when Victor Calderone came to town and i was playing next door and he needed one, guess who had one

the most important thing is if your playing after another DJ to let him know your there. introduce yourself, let them know what you need to setup and ask when would be a good time to invade their space to hook up your kit. Don't just go in there and start messing around while they are playing especially if they haven't noticed you yet. there is nothing worse than some dude coming up and just pushing his way into what i'm doing... wait a minute! lol

you can always ask the Dj if there is anything special about the mixer if your not familiar with it or recommended levels you should keep. most Djs are happy to help.

if your on your own and your the only DJ i suggest getting there early plugging everything in and doing a quick sound check. keep the volume low at first do a walk around and make sure everything is sounding ok. as people come in raise your gains a click at a time. maybe once you get a few clicks up take another quick lap and make sure its not ear piercing... you can usually tell though.

i hope this helps a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by justmanson View Post
    best bet is to try and scope out the dj booth early. i always bring a set of RCA to XLR cables, 2 extra 3ft RCAs and a surge protector. Sometimes they come in handy othertimes they take up space. i also take 2 volume control knobs just incase they are missing from the house mixer...lol. I've been made fun of for that, but when Victor Calderone came to town and i was playing next door and he needed one, guess who had one

the most important thing is if your playing after another DJ to let him know your there. introduce yourself, let them know what you need to setup and ask when would be a good time to invade their space to hook up your kit. Don't just go in there and start messing around while they are playing especially if they haven't noticed you yet. there is nothing worse than some dude coming up and just pushing his way into what i'm doing... wait a minute! lol

you can always ask the Dj if there is anything special about the mixer if your not familiar with it or recommended levels you should keep. most Djs are happy to help.

if your on your own and your the only DJ i suggest getting there early plugging everything in and doing a quick sound check. keep the volume low at first do a walk around and make sure everything is sounding ok. as people come in raise your gains a click at a time. maybe once you get a few clicks up take another quick lap and make sure its not ear piercing... you can usually tell though.

i hope this helps a bit.
    Good tips!

I just wanted to congratulate you ! Very very cool! Hopefully I can get something of the sort soon !

Once again thats fking awesome! Go have a blast and rock it!

Relax, and don't get too drunk!

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

congrats and good luck. DANCE,DANCE,DANCE! I hate djs that look bored.

gluck!
    Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.

Tech Convert

Congrats!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast