Getting a gig. How possible is this scenario?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Getting a gig. How possible is this scenario?

Hey guys,

I'm an international student currently studying in California. Just to fill you in, current immigration requirements prevent me from working (F-1 Visa) in the United States.

The question I had for you working DJs out there is, what's the best way to get experience in the scene if I'm unable to work? If you were in my shoes, how would you tackle it? I'm only interested in getting experience at a venue and not just someone's house party (current finances won't allow for much of a mobile rig).

Any suggestions and advice would be great.

Cheers,
    Marc.Elektro

Tech Guru

If you can't get paid find a place that will pay in food and beer. At least you'll enjoy a good meal and a couple of brews.
    :: Kontrol Z2 :: :: Technics 1200 :: :: Pioneer DJM 250 :: Kontrol X1 MkII :: :: Maschine :: :: Kontrol S4 ::

Quote Originally Posted by bigbeatzz View Post
    If you can't get paid find a place that will pay in food and beer. At least you'll enjoy a good meal and a couple of brews.
    That sounds like a great idea. I honestly didn't really think of that. Any other ideas? What other options are there that would help me get something good out of it along with the experience of DJing?

Tech Guru

I don't or ever will do gigs. But allow me to state the obvious Got to start somewhere right? Get out there, meet new people. Get a website, look promising and professional. Pass out fancy biz cards and or brochures. Friends references. Umm. . . Do some charity work, get your rep and resume up.

cash money honey!
    If the venue charges at the door then that's the pot you should dip into.

Thanks guys but the thing is, I'm not allowed to make money. Making money would mean I've got a job and I'm not allowed to have one under the visa requirements.

I won't tell. Otherwise work for free there Honest Abe.
    FACT: Cash is not traceable when passed under a table.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by space monkey View Post
    I won't tell. Otherwise work for free.
    FACT: Cash is not traceable when passed under a table.
    ^This. A gig isn't like a normal job. You shouldn't have to have a SS or fill out paper work so your good to go. Now, do you know how to DJ?

I would also like to add that making money is illegal in any country. That's called counterfeiting. Earning on the other hand...

There are two problems with his situation that people are not taking into account.

Firstly, if he works for free - as has been stated countless times before - he will get gigs (as long as he can DJ) by some jerk club owners who want to save as much as they can which will cost a working DJ (someone who depends on DJing to feed his family) his spot.

Secondly, I assume after you earn your degree in whatever it is you are studying currently you may some day want to work full time in the States. However, if you involve yourself in such activities and are caught some how it may permanently risk your status over here. As in they will probably send you back, and then revoke the right for you to re-enter the States without full sponsorship from a company. And there is no company I know that would do that in this economy, especially without making you fly down for an interview which you would not be allowed to do because of your visa status. A small move in hastiness could cost you your future.

And as for your question, you did not ask me to answer, as I am not a working DJ but I will take a stab at it. I would truly suggest just joining a frat on campus and DJ for them. I mean it's the closest thing you can do to a club per say.

This is just my two cents.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast