Is my cable length between my soundcard and Macbook affecting latency? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Up your computers sample rate to 48k, if it's not already, and also make sure it's 48k in Traktor. Then check your latency.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    What are your current driver settings?
    How do you mean? I am using the latest drivers from the TP2 2.5.1 update installer.

Quote Originally Posted by AtgAni View Post
    are you using osx 10.8? if you are you need the beta drivers off ni website
    I'm using Lion, I don't really know what version of OSX it is, as I use bootcamp with windows but use OSX for Traktor. But I know it's a fully updated Lion install.

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    Up your computers sample rate to 48k, if it's not already, and also make sure it's 48k in Traktor. Then check your latency.
    Wouldn't that up the latency as it's a higher sampling rate therefore demanding more CPU?

I really appreciate all the help guys, thanks!
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

click your apple in the top bar and then click about this mac. under OS X it will have a version number

UP your sample rate to 48K, it will drop your latency.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

I'm currently running windoze so this may not be the case in mac? But i'll throw it out anyway in case it is.

There is a second option on soundcard settings. make sure it's set to the internal soundcard not traktor. This recently fixed my latency problems.
    2x Technics SL-12000 mk2 / 2x Numark HDX
    Kontrol Z2 / Ecler Nuo 3 / Custom Vestax 07Pro 25th Anniversary, Blue Led's & integrated Audio 6 / Numark DXM06 w/innofader
    Novation Dicer / NI Maschine / Kontrol X1 / F1
    TSP2

Quote Originally Posted by AtgAni View Post
    click your apple in the top bar and then click about this mac. under OS X it will have a version number
    I'll get this tomorrow, haven't had chance to get on my laptop for a couple of days.

UP your sample rate to 48K, it will drop your latency.
    Would this have an adverse affect towards sound quality?

Quote Originally Posted by teambama View Post
    I'm currently running windoze so this may not be the case in mac? But i'll throw it out anyway in case it is.

There is a second option on soundcard settings. make sure it's set to the internal soundcard not traktor. This recently fixed my latency problems.
    Where is this setting?
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

The setting doesn't exist on OS X, it will automatically jump to your internal soundcard when you unplug the external one.

Quote Originally Posted by OmniRoss View Post
    Would this have an adverse affect towards sound quality?
    Nope it would improve your sound quality and lower your latentcy, if you're currently set to 44.1. You just have to make sure your sample rate is set to 48k in your OS AND your sound card. If one is at 44.1k and the other 48k, then the music plays 4% faster.

Tech Mentor

Nope it would improve your sound quality and lower your latentcy, if you're currently set to 44.1. You just have to make sure your sample rate is set to 48k in your OS AND your sound card. If one is at 44.1k and the other 48k, then the music plays 4% faster.
    This would certainly not improve audio quality, on the contrary. You're introducing a round of sample rate conversion that is completely unneeded since the source material is at 44.1 kHz. It will also not do anything to enable lower latency than the system is capable of at 44.1. The latency for a given buffer size is inversely related to sample rate, as you hinted at, but processing power requirements for a given buffer size are directly related to sample rate. The OP is at their system limit with any reduction in buffer size at the current sample rate inducing overload, resulting from processing power shortage, not buffer size as such. Upping the sample rate will have the same effect as lowering buffer size, but at further reduced sound quality.

Quote Originally Posted by DJQA View Post
    This would certainly not improve audio quality, on the contrary. You're introducing a round of sample rate conversion that is completely unneeded since the source material is at 44.1 kHz. It will also not do anything to enable lower latency than the system is capable of at 44.1. The latency for a given buffer size is inversely related to sample rate, as you hinted at, but processing power requirements for a given buffer size are directly related to sample rate. The OP is at their system limit with any reduction in buffer size at the current sample rate inducing overload, resulting from processing power shortage, not buffer size as such. Upping the sample rate will have the same effect as lowering buffer size, but at further reduced sound quality.
    We'll have to agree to disagree then. You're assuming a 44.1k sample rate as the nominal rate for source. That's only if you ripped and/or downloaded your entire collection at 44.1. Regardless, 48K is re-sampling the bits at a higher rate, so if it's 128, 192, 320 mp3 OR 44.1k wav file, if the end result is 48k, it's output is at a higher sample rate, resulting in a truer reproduction of whatever the source is. As it stands, the OP hasn't stated what his latency is at, so there's no way to assume that he's at the limit of his processing power. All I can say is the OP's computer has a better processor than mine and mine (set to what I recommended) works flawlessly with an audio8 and a latency of 7.8 using 4 standard decks and full FX.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast