Pool Party Music
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Pool Party Music

A friend of mine asked me to DJ her pool party, she wants the typical top 40 and hip hop, but she also wants reggae which I have none of.

Anybody know any good reggae for a pool party?

If you have other song suggestions that aren't reggae feel free to post them
    Last edited by Fressure; 07-24-2012 at 06:43 PM.

boats n hoes

boats n hoes

Reggae - it's a bit of a vague description, mate. Reggae has been around for a while, and is HUGE. Ragga, Lovers Rock, Dancehall, Ska, Roots, Rocksteady, Dub - it's all reggae.

Get to googling, find some artists from the last 10 years (I'd go back AT LEAST 20, actually) and get to searching. Some starting points (and crowd pleasers), are:

Shabba Ranks
    Buju Banton
    Damian Marley
    Chaka Demus & Mr. Pliers
    Maxi Priest
    Beenie Man
    Bounty Killer
    Cocoa Tea
    Ninja Man
    Wayne Mashall
    Wayne Smith
    Wayne Wonder
    Shaggy (has some AWESOME stuff if you dig hard enough)
    Yellow Man

But, if you wanna get REALLY reggae on that ass - check out these legends:

Bob Marley (Duh...)
    Dave & Ansel Collins
    Anthea and Donna
    Capelton
    Desmond Decker
    Toots and the Maytals (ya better ask somebody!)
    Jah Screechy (go and find Walk and Skank, immediately!)
    Jimmy Cliff <The man.
    Prince Buster <Legend
    Peter Tosh
    The Wailers
    Bunny Livingstone
    Lee Scratch Perry
    Sly and Robbie

You could even get bit diverse (and maybe a little controversial) and include some UB40 (and why not?). Maybe get some UK Ska in there too (Madness, The Specials, The Selecter, The Beat, Bodysnatchers, Bad Manners...)
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

Well I can help there being from the Bahamas.

mixing reggae is easy if you can do the following well use cue points , cutting and droping, and use the following sound fx fog horns, gun shots and lasers. Most reggae comes in riddims which means you can have one popular riddim with three or popular songs on the same riddim. To mix them all you have to do is set a cue point at the beginning of the first verse let the song playing reach the end of its second chorus and then cut or drop to the first verse of the new song on the same riddim. To change the riddim mix the beginning of a new riddim into the end of the second chorus when the verse starts fire off a fog horn then gun shot followed by a laser cut to that riddim and shout puuuuulllllll up and then start the track over rinse and repeat. (lol I can't believe I just said that but yes thats how most reggae dj's mix check out reggae riddim mixes on youtube for more assistance).

To get you started search for these riddims on youtube.

Buy out Riddim - Stand out tracks are
    Sean Paul give my the Light
    The TOK song - I think it name is just got paid
    Notch - Nuttin ah go so

Showtime Riddim - Stand out track are
    Red fox- Bashment Party
    General Degree- hypocrite

Joy Ride Riddim
    Lady saw - under the sycamore tree
    Tanya Stephens- Yuh nah ready for this

Individual tracks to get
    Shabba Ranks - Bed room Bully
    Shabba Ranks- Trailer load of girls
    Beenie Man - Wickedest Slam
    Tanya Stephens - Handle the Ride
    Tanya Stephens- Gogle
    Mad Cobra- Flex
    Last edited by Dj Noriddim; 07-20-2012 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dj Noriddim
    fire off a fog horn then gun shot followed by a laser cut to that riddim and shout puuuuulllllll up
    Brilliant!!!

2 all time riddims mentioned there, too - Buy out and Joyride!!! 2 of my favourite versions on them are:

Buy out: Sean Paul - Like Glue
    Joyride: Conroy Smith - Dangerous

Play this:

I'm gonna enjoy this thread!
    Last edited by Patch; 07-20-2012 at 02:40 PM.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy

Tech Mentor

one of my favorite reggae dj's right here Dj Gmani this a perfect example of how to mix reggae note the use of fxs and cutting to make the transitions

Get some of the tracks in the mix and you will be good this is nice for a good poolside vibe

Tech Mentor

Might have just the mix for you - http://www.xlr8r.com/podcast/2011/02/uproot-andy - Give it a listen and get some of those songs. When I first heard this played I described it to a friend as "perfect BBQ music."

iTunes reggae comps ftw. Some bullets to be found amongst some tat (though even the tat can be useful... ie Informer)

For the love I god drop Funky Kingston in there... And 54-46 Was My Number... And Under Me Sleng Teng
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne
    For the love I god drop Funky Kingston in there... And 54-46 Was My Number... And Under Me Sleng Teng
    Fuckin' CHURCH!

Quote Originally Posted by Dj Noriddim View Post
    mixing reggae is easy if you can do the following well use cue points , cutting and droping, and use the following sound fx fog horns, gun shots and lasers. Most reggae comes in riddims which means you can have one popular riddim with three or popular songs on the same riddim. To mix them all you have to do is set a cue point at the beginning of the first verse let the song playing reach the end of its second chorus and then cut or drop to the first verse of the new song on the same riddim. To change the riddim mix the beginning of a new riddim into the end of the second chorus when the verse starts fire off a fog horn then gun shot followed by a laser cut to that riddim and shout puuuuulllllll up and then start the track over rinse and repeat. (lol I can't believe I just said that but yes thats how most reggae dj's mix check out reggae riddim mixes on youtube for more assistance).
    I thought the preferred method was to loudly backspin the outgoing record and shout out "REWIND SELEKTA" over the mic as you cue the next one
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast