VCI 400 Overlay Sticker - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

http://help.vestax.co.jp/ja/usr_data...el_tooling.pdf

just to let everyone know, these dimensions do not fit. i drew this up in CAD, printed it and it doesn't fit. am i assuming unit is "mm".

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Kensic View Post
    http://help.vestax.co.jp/ja/usr_data...el_tooling.pdf

just to let everyone know, these dimensions do not fit. i drew this up in CAD, printed it and it doesn't fit. am i assuming unit is "mm".
    @Kensic, is your CAD file showing severe or excessive differences? Is it just in a few places that it doesn't fit? The file you got from Vestax was different than the one I got.

To help assist, I started with the color-PDF from the Vestax website, converted it over to a usable vector file, and went from there. Though, I am not sure yet if that is accurate--I assume it is, for it looked like the default overlays.

I don't mind helping pose your concern to Vestax anyway.
    Last edited by quickswitch; 10-05-2012 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Minor

Quote Originally Posted by quickswitch View Post
    @Kensic, is your CAD file showing severe or excessive differences? Is it just in a few places that it doesn't fit? The file you got from Vestax was different than the one I got.

To help assist, I started with the color-PDF from the Vestax website, converted it over to a usable vector file, and went from there. Though, I am not sure yet if that is accurate--I assume it is, for it looked like the default overlays.

I don't mind helping pose your concern to Vestax anyway.
    the dimensions for each boxes and holes are correct. its the spacing between them is wrong. they need to be further apart.

the colored layout pdf is the same size as the dimension layout pdf **i compare this by setting both pdf to 100%, and print screen, paste it to paint, then cut, then layout it over on the other one**. so i'm assuming if you were just to print out the pdf (set it to 100%) it will not fit.

There out some layouts that came with the controllers, but i haven't use it yet. when i get home i'm going to compare them with the online pdf's

so what i'll probably do is take out my good old engineering calibers and measure the controller manually

Tech Convert

Kensic, and all,

Thanks for chiming in on this and sharing your expertise. I got a response back from Vestax,

"Basically, the PDF on our website may not be totally exact as if your cut follows tha black lines!
    The black lines are in fact slightly bigger, in order to be cut correctly by the printing vendor without mistake (it's the "1mm loss margin" standard for every printing factory)

That user can use our PDF to create his design, however if he prints it out he will have to supply the tooling file to his vendor. This tooling file features all the required dimensions to prepare the cutting at the correct dimensions.

We can print that here in Japan with a good quality (much better than supplied overlays). Delay is about two weeks, but price is quite expensive (10 000JPY or so). I can let you know later the final cost if your customer is interested. Let me check about the glow in the dark."

Action Items (for me and anyone who wants to contribute):
    1. Reach a consensus on the design template, so it is universal and easy for as many users as possible.
    2. Apply the custom design to the tooling kit.
    3. We'll hear back from Vestax JP on pricing.
    4. Submit the order and start the proofing process.

Option:
    Unless we can find another company that is capable of handling the 1mm off-set, providing the glow-in-the-dark feature, in the form of a matte sticker that can easily be re-applied... it may be best to stick with the same vendor in Japan.

Info:
    10,000.00 JPY = $ 127.683 USD
    Last edited by quickswitch; 10-10-2012 at 08:55 AM. Reason: JPY

Hi quickswitch, to get this out of the way, i don't want to buy anything from japan. overlays aren't important.

so they are saying that the dimensions in the tooling kit pdf is to set up the machines. and if someone were to physically measure the layouts after the machining it would be totally different?

sorry but i find that hard to believe.

i think they really messed up on these dimensions in the tooling kit pdf. because they are wayyyyyyy off. its like me trying to put on a shift of a 10 years old kid.

Tech Convert

Hey Kensic. I also agree with you, having labels, the expected costs, wait times, adjustments, and design work needed: having the overlay is not a critical requirement to perform. Vestax's answer, I pasted in as is though. Although I didn't fully understand the "black line cuts" comment.

Vestax may have in fact messed up the PDF/EPS available online, or the printer company in Japan may operate differently than US printers, or there is an intentional 1mm off-set. I'll press Vestax for more information--I feel I need to speak directly to their design team on this one.

If I move ahead with a custom sticker, I simply want to absorb the opinions of others, so that the overlay works for more than just me. But we obviously need the template accurate. I hope to have more info and hear from other users.

haha no worries.

i have almost got all the dimensions down, alot of measuring, but when its done, ill make sure to share with everyone.

hey

Can I ask, are people planning to get all of the individual stickers on that PDF printed separately, as they come in the standard VCI box? Or are you combining them into one large sticker for the whole face of the VCI?

My (FAR!) preferred solution would be the latter to be honest. Rather than messing about with lots of small stickers I just assumed we would be designing one large, full sized sticker similar to what your get for the VCI-100 overlay. Pull all the faders and knobs off, stick it on, faders etc back on and done you've a fully covered and labelled VCI-400. Even better if we could use the same supplier that DJTT uses for the VCI-100 overlays, its a very thick plastic like material rather than paper/vinyl which is MUCH thicker and more hard wearing than any normal overlay/sticker I have seen.

I do also agree than if we could make the text on the overlay a lighter grey, much closer to white, it would help visibility a lot in dark clubs.

However this is all a bit academic until we find out if DJTT are planning widespread release of the firmware etc. I havent been on the site much in the last few weeks so may have missed an announcement but things seem to have gone all quiet on that front?

k

Tech Convert

Talking

@Kevin,

Fortunately, the best printer solution found thus far was the one Vestax utilized, so we're sticking with them. What that means for us is, the overlay sheets should be quite similar to how the standard overlays are (i.e. Material, Layout, Pieces, etc). With a custom order, I suppose there's a chance there may be an extra sheet with pieces on it, but I will find out for sure. To clarify, the supplier I am pursuing is the same one who created the standard overlay for the VCI400.

As far as DJTT communications on mass distribution, I am not sure what you mean specifically. My understanding is there's not a stand-alone Firmware kit being sold yet. Not sure if that answers your question though.

I am actively working with the printer this week and will tweak the design a bit to create more contrast (text to background). Also, still do not know yet about a glow-in-the-dark option. Stay tuned.

Best regards,

QuickSwitch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast