Gr... Key Detection Software
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Gr... Key Detection Software

I currently have open; Mixed In Key, Key Finder, and Beatport open. KF and MIK 100% accurate, but people are saying they are accurate enough to be viable. And Beatport as just another opinion.

I'm analyzing tracks and all three sources, almost half the time are ALL giving me completely different feedback.

According to Beatport "The Underground" is played in G Major, KF tells me it is actually G Flat Minor, while MIK goes on to inform me that they are all wrong and it is actually F Sharp Major.

Nick Thayer's "Like Boom" remix according to beaport is C Major, KF begs to differ with A Flat Minor, and MIK says A Minor.

I understand that these programs aren't touted as 100% accurate, but this is awful.

I get that a trained ear is the best way to pick up key, but mine isn't and i wouldn't know how to train it anyways.

Thoughts? what do you use?

I only use the free Rapid Evolution program. I know that the keys might not be correct all the time, but as I only use this program I know that two songs being declared as "A flat minor" will fit together. Because when the program will misinterpret some harmonics it will always do it in every song of a kind/key.
    If you really want to be sure about the right key (because of for example wanting to play piano together with it) this won't work for you though.

Best tip should always be: Compare it with the sounds of your keyboard (hardware on in a DAW) and take your ears and LISTEN!

I just don't understand the concept of keys entirely, how can a song be played in a key, if it's played by using many different keys like any song? God that will probably win the most ignorant/naive statement of the year haha.

and then i find it even more discouraging when of 50 songs analyzed, keyfinder decides that roughly half of them are G minor, f minor or a minor. somehow that doesn't feel like coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by RockingClub View Post
    I know that two songs being declared as "A flat minor" will fit together. Because when the program will misinterpret some harmonics it will always do it in every song of a kind/key.
    Judging by my results it doesn't work that way haha
    Last edited by Sn0wday; 03-20-2012 at 07:45 PM.

I've been out of touch with my piano music theory for quite a few years but just make sure you understand that one note's sharp is the next note's flat.

Examples: F sharp = G flat; D sharp = E flat; B flat = A sharp, etc. Sorry if you already knew this!

^I Do for the most part, and the camelot notation kinda makes it obsolete anyways.

I guess it seems to be in my best interest to learn to use a keyboard to find it, i have a keyboard, but i wouldn't understand how to find a songs key with it.

I'd trust Beatport.

I hear they're the least accurate actually.

I was just using it as an example that this software is useless if all three sources are more often than not conflicting in more than one way.

but really, any tips on learning to find this with a piano?

I have a keyboard next to me hooked up to my computer, so many sites are saying "play along with the song" how on earth do they expect me to just "play along" with the song?!

I've tried finding the key of a song that i'm sure of (all three programs agree), and then matching it with the keyboard, but can't tell if i'm just psyching myself out or not. What, should I just tap the key as the song plays and see if it sounds similar? Cause I just tried this and it made me feel like a moron hahahaha.
    Last edited by Sn0wday; 03-21-2012 at 12:24 AM.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by Sn0wday View Post
    I hear they're the least accurate actually.
    I thought they were using a licensed version of MIK ?

I was just using it as an example that this software is useless if all three sources are more often than not conflicting in more than one way.
    Key finding software is a tool, just like beat detection, and is supposed to be used as something else in your arsenal.

I'm sure VDJ, Itch and a Pioneer CDJ would all have minor discrepancies in BPM as well - although for the most part accurate.

but really, any tips on learning to find this with a piano?

I have a keyboard next to me hooked up to my computer, so many sites are saying "play along with the song" how on earth do they expect me to just "play along" with the song?!

What, should I just tap the key as the song plays and see if it sounds similar? Cause I just tried this and it made me feel like a moron hahahaha.
    YES!

In regards to finding the key on a piano, what you want to do is find the root key, this is the note thats predominant thoughout the track and the one which when played with any other part of the song (generally) still sounds like it is not clashing.

Certainly wouldn't expect you to play "along" with the whole song, just tap one note at a time on the keyboard up and down the scale one at a time in beat till you hit a key that sounds in tune throughout most of the track - that'll be your tracks root key.

Quote Originally Posted by CpectorBon View Post
    I guess it seems to be in my best interest to learn to use a keyboard to find it
    Alright. And this will also have positive effects besides

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by RockingClub View Post
    Alright. And this will also have positive effects besides
    Once you have the correct key on a keyboard, you can then play another key at the same time alongside the root and start figuring out what keys will work together without needing a chart beside you.

After a while you'll be able to visualize it in your head .. and in essence key match by ear

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast