Help transitioning between Dubstep & DnB
    Tech Student

Default Help transitioning between Dubstep & DnB

Hey everyone, I'm hoping for some tips/examples of mixing between Dubstep & DnB (and vice versa).

I've looked through and searched the threads here, I'm hoping for some specific advice from people that mix these genres. I know there are transition songs, but that's not what I'm looking for. I've also tried the Delay/Freeze effect in Traktor as shown on the DJTT website, but it didn't quite work for these 2 genres, perhaps I'm doing it wrong?

One way I've done it before, I lowered the BPM of a DnB track to 70BPM, the intro of the song had a very basic drum pattern so when beatmatched to the Dubstep track it sounded quite good (IMO), the Dubstep track then went into a break down and I faded it out. I then slowly brought the BPM up until the drop.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Personally i go via drumstep or more popular jungle(ish) tunes. The knife party remix of crush on you is useful for transitions as the starting vocal works well at any tempo. Some drumstep comes in around 150-160bpm ish which is also matchable to both genres and tunes like on a ragga tip and stuff which have 140 bpm tempos but plenty of breakbeats. All depends on what dubstep tune A and DnB tune B are.

Also this is the only time i use sync (not dissing sync its just not my cup of tea) , if you speed up the tempo of the master track (tune a) when tune b is syncd to it as your mixing you can have it approaching a listenable tempo for tune B by the end of the transition.

or just use the cdj break old school
    http://soundcloud.com/formido/
    http://www.beatport.com/artist/formido/291967
    Macbook pro 13" 2010 , Traktor Scratch Pro 2 ,Audio 8, Kontrol X1, CDJ 800's, Arcade Mod Technics 1200, Ecler nuo 5 mixer, Kaoss pad

Transition into a part of the tune where there are no beats and it's just a bass sound. It's usually a smooth and nice transition.
    and if there are absolutely no parts in the song without percussion then this:
    (if it sounds right wich not always the case)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexlovesjam View Post
    One way I've done it before, I lowered the BPM of a DnB track to 70BPM, the intro of the song had a very basic drum pattern so when beatmatched to the Dubstep track it sounded quite good (IMO), the Dubstep track then went into a break down and I faded it out. I then slowly brought the BPM up until the drop.
    This is just what I usually do. So to recap, just about any transition would do except for beatmatching.