S4 low output volume, urgent

Exclamation S4 low output volume, urgent

I bought a Kontrol S4 and i'm very happy about it, but it has a few problems i really have to get rid off. So normally i use my setup like this: Laptop connected (via output audio jack) to a NSA 2008 Stereo Mixer from JCB, this mixer is connected to the Peavey 260 amplifier and then the volume i get from my JBSystems speakers is loud enough to do a small party. But if i use the setup like this, i can't use my headphones because those work with the soundcard of the s4 which i'm not using.

When i use the setup with my S4 connected directly to my speakers, the volume i get out of my speakers is very low! So that's my problem, i would like to get high volume and i would like to use my heaphones while mixing,

Setup:
    P1060622.jpg
    Help me,
    DJ Miztronic, Belgian DJ/Producer:
    |SOUNDCLOUD| |FACEBOOK|

Tech Guru

There is a hardware master volume knob on the top center of the S4. It says "level"

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    There is a hardware master volume knob on the top center of the S4. It says "level"
    I know, it's set to the maximum, still not a decent voluma at all. I tried a lot of things, maybe it's my speakers fault? But they can go LOUD as hell but with S4 directly to them, level on maximum, the volume is very quiet
    |SOUNDCLOUD| |FACEBOOK|

Tech Guru

SO if it's not the hardware volume knob, and you said you've hooked it up w/ ur laptop fine (I assume you tried it while running traktor too cause their is another software volume knob that could be a problem), then I really don't know. Could be cables, could be jacks. Have you tried the RCA ouput and TRS output?

did you try connecting the S4 to the mixer and going from there?
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

What is your headroom setting in preferences set to?

Default Think i found it

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    SO if it's not the hardware volume knob, and you said you've hooked it up w/ ur laptop fine (I assume you tried it while running traktor too cause their is another software volume knob that could be a problem), then I really don't know. Could be cables, could be jacks. Have you tried the RCA ouput and TRS output?
    I think i found it, just need to go from S4 to Mixer, from mixer to amp, from amp to speakers. That should work, i'll buy some more cables and i'll post if it worked.
    |SOUNDCLOUD| |FACEBOOK|

Quote Originally Posted by weltraumpapst View Post
    did you try connecting the S4 to the mixer and going from there?
    I think you're right and i'll try, but i do not understand why they should show in the manual to set it up just like S4 to speakers, it's so quiet. So you need to put an amplifier in between to get decent sound you think? I'll do that, i'll buy some cables and i'll post it.
    |SOUNDCLOUD| |FACEBOOK|

The pictures in the manual show ACTIVE speakers (ones with amplifiers built in), if you have regular speakers then obviously you will need an amplifier.

I run my active speakers direct from the S4's TRS outputs, and I have zero problems ..... i think if you are having problems, it's a software setting somewhere as the S4 output is very strong .... far stronger than most manufactures of outboard soundcards.

To use the headphones on the S4 you need to be in INTERNAL mixing mode and your audio routing needs to be configured (just re-run the setup wizard).
    XPS L701x i7 16GbRAM 2x 500Gb SSD RAID HD (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) 1 x 1Tb 7200 int.
    TSP 2.6.1 ¦ Audio 8 ¦ Audio 4 ¦ 4 x Denon SC-2000 ¦ 2 x DX2 ¦ EMU shortboard ¦ MIDI_FIGHTER_PRO_PLUS
    SL1210Mk5 x 2 ¦ Numark TTX x2 ¦ DJM-T1 ¦ DDM4000 MIDI Mixer ¦ Numark 4TRAK ¦ neoD+ cables
    8000+ 45's & 2500+ 12's ¦ 2 x Traktor Kontrol S4 ¦ X1 & F1

if you were using an amp before why would you think you dont need one when you bought the S4???