Interested in Traktor Scratch... What do I need?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Interested in Traktor Scratch... What do I need?

Been using a Kontrol s2 for a while now, and I like how it plays. It's also helped me immensely in becoming more comfortable with the ins and outs of Traktor.

Now that I've started booking some gigs here and there, I've been looking to upgrade to a Traktor scratch setup. I don't really know what all of the pieces I'll be needing are, so I figured I'd ask DJTT. I know I'll be needing tables and a mixer, but I was curious as to what else I'd need in order to complete the system. Help!

Why do you want to "upgrade" to Traktor Scratch exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonBay View Post
    While some might consider it an upgrade, I think it's more like a "transition".

To the OP: you need....

A pair of 12's (like you said..."decks")
    A mixer
    A pair of slip mats
    A pair of needles (I like Sure M44G)
    A Native Instruments Audio XX DJ interface (eg. Audio 8 DJ)

Having said that, you will also need a version of Traktor that allows vinyl control. (Traktor Scratch)

It's not really upgrading now that you mention it, but I want to learn not only to scratch (scratching on controllers just isn't the same), but also to learn how traditional DJ's learned the craft so that in the end I can be a more versatile and well rounded DJ.

Anyone know any solid beginner turntables? Looking to spend maybe 300-500 for each... Kind of new to the whole classic style of DJ'ing so any help at all is appreciated

You can get some nice used 1200s in that price range for sure.

Unless you're getting some PDX or TTX, I wouldn't stray too far from 1200's, you'll only be frustrating yourself trying to nail basic fundamental skills on anything less.

$300 to $500 each can get you a good set of SL-1200mk2s depending on where you live.

Edit: sorry…didn't see the other replies. Uhh…still. 1200s are awesome.

To start off, I started on Turntables myself (Stanton Str8-80's!), but I really don't see the need to get Scratch if you're already comfortable and are excelling on an S2. Seems more like a step back with a large cost associated with it.

Do really see how you could learn anything more that will help you be better DJ per se. The only thing that's going to make you a better DJ is looking for better tunes and working on your programming.

To start off, I started on Turntables myself (Stanton Str8-80's!), but I really don't see the need to get Scratch if you're already comfortable and are excelling on an S2. Seems more like a step back with a large cost associated with it.

Do really see how you could learn anything more that will help you be better DJ per se. The only thing that's going to make you a better DJ is looking for better tunes and working on your programming.
    I moved over to traktor scratch from using a controller a few months ago, and I have to say, I find the larger control surface to be much more fun to play on. It also means I don't have to drag a controller round to parties all the time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast