Apple MacBook 13.3" vs Ultrabook - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Guru

The difference between Core Audio and WASAPI/ASIO has nothing to do with how "tweakable" Windows is. Having native support for low latency audio without the need for 3rd party drivers is a huge advantage. Having native support for aggregated sound cards without the need for 3rd party software is a huge advantage.

If you can present an equal machine to the Air, Retina Macbook, iMac, or Mac Mini at a significantly lower price, only then can you argue whether or not they are overpriced.

Comparing a brand new custom made desktop to a 3 year old Mac Pro is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    Specifically an MB061B/A (actually an 80GB HDD, not 800; typo on the listing/this post).

Seems pretty obvious to me that £400 for that is a MASSIVE shafting.
    If that's what the listing is, then it's a huge ripoff. You can get the newer Unibody Macbook with a more recent Core2Duo and decent sized hard drive for around £350

And Flash just plain sucks on every platform. I get crashes all the time from flash-based videos regardless of what OS I'm running.
    Last edited by makar1; 05-18-2013 at 04:11 PM.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    And Flash just plain sucks on every platform. I get crashes all the time from flash-based videos regardless of what OS I'm running.
    Agreed. Although the fact it's now integrated into IE10 (and can therefore be bug-checked specifically by Microsoft rather than Adobe's infinite number of monkeys) it's a LOT more stable.

Tech Mentor

Agreed. Although the fact it's now integrated into IE10 (and can therefore be bug-checked specifically by Microsoft rather than Adobe's infinite number of monkeys) it's a LOT more stable.
    Its only in IE10 for legacy support, as many sites will slowly abandon Flash as it is a worthless piece of poo. HTML5/CSS2/3 and Java take away the need for that horrible platform.

Also just because microsoft integrated the flash player, it is still an adobe creation and product, made by those same adobe monkeys... Microsoft didnt reinvent the Flash codex/swf file system ::shrug:: Just saying

Once again, it's down to personal preference.

I might be the weirdest person ever. I actually really like the changes to windows 8. I still don't use it because PowerShell just isn't as good as bash or zsh and that in my world there just isn't software as good for Windows as there is for Linux or OS X.

The Ultrabook will absolutely ANNIHILATE the MacBook. Plus, if you're really set on using OS X (fuck knows why you would be) you can always install it on the Ultrabook.
    Please don't make claims like that if you don't know what you're talking about. I have built a hackintosh. I know what's involved. I'd hazard to say that's more than you've done, and I wouldn't venture to make that claim without knowing a lot more about what hardware is in the Ultrabook the OP is talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    OSX is more stable because it can't be tweaked anywhere near as much as Windows.
    You have literally no idea what you're talking about if you make that claim.
    Last edited by mostapha; 05-20-2013 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Please don't make claims like that if you don't know what you're talking about. I have built a hackintosh. I know what's involved. I'd hazard to say that's more than you've done, and I wouldn't venture to make that claim without knowing a lot more about what hardware is in the Ultrabook the OP is talking about.
    And you'd be very, very wrong.

I've been on the OSX86 train since day #1; technically before that, as I used to run Rhapsody DR2. Considering how Ultrabooks - by their very status as a consistent hardware platform defined by Intel - are all i3/i5s with HD3000/HD4000 GPUs (plus an additional discrete GPU in some models), it pretty much guarantees flawless OS X support, given how all of the key items in the platform are supported by the OS X kernel.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

But not their version of UEFI or their motherboard chipset.

If that were the case, it'd be awesome. But I've seen no real mention of it being that simple elsewhere. Feel like citing a source?

For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Tech Guru

What about all the other devices in the laptop? Keyboard, trackpad, webcam, bluetooth, Wifi, onboard sound?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

(1) There's an IE 10? (2) People still use IE?
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Guru

OSX is so much more locked up compared to Windows... Please tell me in what way OSX gives you more freedom than Windows.

There's so much less to fuck up on a Mac.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast