New iPad midi controller designed for Serato
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default New iPad midi controller designed for Serato

Hello!
    I wanted to share with you guys some info about the app I have been working on with friends.
    It is a wireless midi controller for the iPad that allows you to control Serato's Cues, FX (all the presets are included for quick selection), Loops and song selection.

We designed it with ease of use and performance in mind.

The app works with midi so you do not need any additional software on your mac like with OSC. It is all done via Apple's Core Midi.

I believe it is useful for DJs who use Serato but want to focus on their turntables and mixer instead of their laptop while at the same time can easily control Serato's performance features on the fly.

Here is a showcase video I shot with an earlier version of the application to demonstrate the possibilities that open up: [ame="http://vimeo.com/17423091"]http://vimeo.com/17423091[/ame]

If any of you have tried our application, we would love some feedback. We want to know if it helps you with your performance and if we need to improve something.

For more info check our website http://www.midi-to.com

Thank you!

DJ Freshcuts

nice stuff, now i just need to get about buying an ipad..;-P
    Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.

Tech Student

sweet app. i have some questions tho. will this run on an iphone? also do u have to run anything else on your laptop to use this app other than serato of course. i looked at the touchosc and that needs another program to run.

thanks

Tech Convert

We are working on an iPhone version.
    Our goal for MiDi-to was optimization for Serato and simplicity.
    So we figured out how to use direct midi through Mac OS X core midi.
    This allows us to send midi from the ipad direct to Serato, avoiding the use of any additional software.
    It also minimises lag (measured at 3ms via direct wi-fi connection).

Quote Originally Posted by freshcuts View Post
    So we figured out how to use direct midi through Mac OS X core midi.
    This allows us to send midi from the ipad direct to Serato, avoiding the use of any additional software.
    It also minimises lag (measured at 3ms via direct wi-fi connection).
    +1 nice! Does this mean it can be remapped for Traktor?

Tech Convert

We are working on a traktor version too!
    (Since it is midi you could remap it but I wouldn't recommend since it is not designed for it)

Tech Guru

Would be very interested in a traktor version, been messing with touch osc but osculator irritates me, or running PD.

Does it support midi over USB aswell? As i play a lot of spots where i can't use any wifi.

Tech Convert

We haven't tested it over usb. Regarding the wifi you just need to connect it direct to your computer without a router so you can have it anywhere.

We are working on a traktor version but I am skeptical because of the immense amount of features available for traktor...don't know what to keep what to take out.

What are the essential features everyone uses?

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

You don't need to squeeze all functions into it. No serious DJ will solely use the iPad (except to brag to his friends).

- Give us a mixer, transport and loop section

- Give us 8 cue-points for two decks.

- Make it possible to switch on the fly from deck A/B to deck C/D (maybe with a swipe gesture?)

- Give us a way to scroll through our track library and crates! Go away from buttons. Implement sliders or something fancy which makes it really intuitive. On the VCI-100 I used the jog-wheel to navigate through the library.

- give us a way to control both chained and advanced effects. An X-Y pad does the trick quite well.

Most important: Go away from just converting what we already have as tactile controls (buttons/knobs/faders) and start thinking about the possibilities the touch-technology offers. Although not being user-friendly enough Reactable is a good example.

Just another app that emulates those controls (like EMULATOR) bores the shit out of me.

Part of my daytime-job is developing innovative multitouch-applications in different environments. I also got an iPad. If you're up for it I'd gladly help out with ideas, concepts, some coding etc.
    Contact me through PM here or via www.ali.dj for further details.
    Last edited by Afterhour Ali; 01-05-2011 at 08:45 PM.
    DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

i dont have an ipad or whatnot, but would it be possible to have like a pitch bend control linked to a touch control so when you let go it goes back to the original tempo?

(i have a spin and when you press the needle button and move a jog wheel for either A/B it will in turn slow down or speed up the tempo of that track, but if you stop spinning it, it reverts right back to say 128 bpm.)

it would be cool to speed up a good electro song to say 140 right before dropping in a fat dubstep beat and they would be at the same tempo as long as you had your hand on the pitch bend on the ipad.

no idea if this is even possible but that would be epic if it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast